Lupo Ecoboost

Patronu

Keep hearing a lot of good things about the new 1liter ecoboost engine from ford, even went on a road trip with a focus recently and it ran great, too bad their cars suck interior design wise. Anyway I was thinking how awesome would it be to have it on a Lupo. Light body + 1L turbocharged would make a great mpg pocket rocket + nice torque don't you think? I wonder if anyone has ever tried such a conversion. If possible I'm definitely thinking about this is the future. :D

The top one is about 125bhp isn't it?

If only they already made a Lupo that had 125bhp

Why? What's the point?

I'm assuming much more torque in normal driving and probably double the mpg? And lighter?

Edited by Patronu

I never did it, I just bought it.

Worst thing is it is still just sitting there.

I'm going to re-advertise it this week.

This means I have to clean it again and that means I have to roll the mk1 out as I'm busy converting that to electronic ignition so that it is at last reliable for whomever buys it.

I have so much crap to get done.

How does it perform with an Ecotec?

Would be interesting to see if anyone could get a redtop in a Lupo, but then again, may as well go for a 1.8T.

Would be interesting to see if anyone could get a redtop in a Lupo, but then again, may as well go for a 1.8T.

This.

But I suppose if your going for a stand alone ecu then you could get pretty much any engine.

The 1l ecoboost engine is tiny, but I think the best engine for the Lupo would the 1.4 TSI

If I was ever going to put an engine in a lupo which I wouldn't. I'd go for N/A engine. It might not have the headline figures a turboed one would have but it would be more progressive and easier to drive. I'm not saying fun as wheel spinning in 4th could be a laugh but I'd put a 2l s2k engine in. You could always turbo it if your a wanting to go nowhere but 240bhp super high redline and reliability to boot.

• Like 1

A c20 let would be faster than a 1.8T and a fraction of the cost.

Straight swap into the ecoshite too.

So you could drop a redtop in yours?

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

Desperately want to see this, and you can pick up a redtop engine for pennies nowadays.

The 1l ecoboost engine is tiny, but I think the best engine for the Lupo would the 1.4 TSI

How about the 1.2 TSI? Will it fit?

My lupo is probably having the low pressure 'flu' that seems pretty common for these engines. I'll know for sure later this week. And if I do, I will most likely need a new engine. If that's the case then I'm thinking about trying something different, a turbocharged one for low end torque. And a small one for costs.

Tbh I doubt I will find an ecoboost engine for a decent price and fit it legal, at least not in the near future. But the 1.2 TSI 105hp might be a good bet, especially since laws around here say the new engine must not execed 40% of the original one's power i believe. And since It's a vw engine chances are to be fit legal.

So you could drop a redtop in yours?

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

Desperately want to see this, and you can pick up a redtop engine for pennies nowadays.

I'm going to be boring. But what's the point. It will wheel spin like hell still look like a lupo (lol) and will handle worse. The lupo has (chuckable) handling but it's not a good handling car. I don't know racing people in a sleeper would become boring and chavvy to me within a day.

I'm going to be boring. But what's the point. It will wheel spin like hell still look like a lupo (lol) and will handle worse. The lupo has (chuckable) handling but it's not a good handling car. I don't know racing people in a sleeper would become boring and chavvy to me within a day.

Surely the amount of wheel spin would depend on the power delivery ;)

Surely the amount of wheel spin would depend on the power delivery ;)

Yes and no. LSD would help buy either way your in scrabble wagon. N/a cars can wheel spin higher up the rpm range. Also it's available traction vs power. 1 it's fwd 2 it's light so less weight putting the power down 3 again it's not like the lupo has handling characteristics of the integra or 106.

For the cost and headache I'd just buy a much much much better car. That I might not be able to shock people with at the red lights but when I'd be on a B road alone it wouldn't torque steer and handle like a pig. Each to their own though.

The cost and headache?

The conversion stuff would come in at around £450.

The mounting is done, the shafts and all that crap is done, just some minimal things to contend with.

Downpipe from turbo (front of car off, so easy)

Cooling and gearchange/clutch crap is all the same.

Wiring is just a couple of things switched over which is easy if you just look at how it is done now.

Intercooler fun is as good/bad as you want to make it.

Lighter than a 1.8t therefore it doesn't affect the handling as much.

It's a crossbreed but it is the better choice, but then both disgust me and I'd rather have a g60 6n2.

The cost and headache?

The conversion stuff would come in at around £450.

The mounting is done, the shafts and all that crap is done, just some minimal things to contend with.

Downpipe from turbo (front of car off, so easy)

Cooling and gearchange/clutch crap is all the same.

Wiring is just a couple of things switched over which is easy if you just look at how it is done now.

Intercooler fun is as good/bad as you want to make it.

Lighter than a 1.8t therefore it doesn't affect the handling as much.

It's a crossbreed but it is the better choice, but then both disgust me and I'd rather have a g60 6n2.

Yes Rich but your pulling a Mike brewer wheeler dealer move on me here. Your not counting labour. Sure YOU could do it yourself but how many YOLO's say I'm getting a garage to do a 1.8t conversions do we get a month? How many follow through. Pretty much 0. There are a few but they aren't YOLO's. They would have to pay for it to be done therefore making the cost considerably higher.

Also then you will have to upgrade, suspension, brakes etc etc.

The crossbreed aspect doesn't bother me as the Lupo is a great super mini. It's just IMO not a good fast car. So many things I'd rather have that would be slower but IMO more engaging and fun. I can remember my friends Galanza. I had an Arosa sport at the time. The Galanza was a rocketship compared to my car and well other cars too as it was modded. But it was still a pig of a fwd car.