Rev Limiter not working correctly?

Got my Lupo S 1.4 16v a few months back and have noticed a problem. The car hits rev limiter at about 5k revs but doesn't bounce like they usually do, it just sits there, it's really hard to explain so I will video it at some point. Another example is when the wheels spin you'd expect it to just sit on the red line but it doesn't, it does it's usual hitting 5k revs then cuts the throttle completely then comes back. Will try and get a video of this also. Anybody got any ideas?

Dan

It kind of sounds like you're hammering it mate. Plus holding it on the rev limiter doesn't necessarily result in that stupid noise from Gran Turismo on Playstation, not in my experience anyway.

Anyway, I'm not sure it's good for your engine to be hitting the rev limiter often. Isn't that the point? To stop unnecessary wear?

I always thought that the Limiter was there to stop the engine valve bouncing. It's not good to have it constantly off the Limiter but I would have thought the odd limit would be OK.

Though I'm coming from a motorbike background so may be different.

Edited by Lupo675

I think people have got the wrong end of the straw. I don't redline every gear, I don't go foot down everywhere. I'm typically a sensible driver. I literally just want to know why it's doing it and it's different compared to others

I think people have got the wrong end of the straw. I don't redline every gear, I don't go foot down everywhere. I'm typically a sensible driver. I literally just want to know why it's doing it and it's different compared to others

I don't think there's anything wrong. I don't ever really take mine to the limiter but I'm pretty sure they don't actually bounce off like some cars do and don't actually hit 6k, it's more of a wurr sound when you hit the limiter rather than the bouncing you associate with it from racing games etc

I must admit Dan, I'm not doubting that you drive it carefully, but it just sounds as though you're wanting it to sound like a car off that game Gran Turismo.

Maybe this is a better option:

Youtube Video ->
Original Video

When you turn your car off does the rev needle go back to 0? You shouldn't hit the limiter at 5k.

But remember it's only a 1.0 it's probably doesn't even have a limiter, it just naturally can't go any furthur

When you turn your car off does the rev needle go back to 0? You shouldn't hit the limiter at 5k.

But remember it's only a 1.0 it's probably doesn't even have a limiter, it just naturally can't go any furthur

Or its valve bouncing lol.

• 2 weeks later...