What route? Turbo, Supercharge, 1.8T or sell

Poobah

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its possable you may find one of these dudes who would take it on.

I know alot of local places that would try it.

The problem is, these people have never done it before.

The companys that do are a elite (sp?) group of tuners, who look after the whole market.

So because of that, they can charge what ever they want.

IMO thats the biggest problem for UK Dubbers.

I agree.

I am hoping not to have to have to use any commercial mechanics, but if I was theres a place just as you described I think could do it.

Not VW guys, but a 1/4 of the price.

And know Sooooooo much about engines.

They dont know Lupo engines, but who the hell does?

We are Lupo owners, and there is only a couple of guys who knows the engines.

How many VW Tuners in the UK know anything about them?

I couldn't name any.

Im sure a dude who fits a charger to a CTR, could work out how to do it to a Lupo engine.

Its only an engine.

Parts will still be a pain in the ass though wtf.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wtf:" border="0" alt="wtf.gif" /> doh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":doh:" border="0" alt="doh.gif" /> censored.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":censored:" border="0" alt="censored.gif" /> thumbdown.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbdown:" border="0" alt="thumbdown.gif" />

both 1.6 16v - so it's deffo worth a dabble BUT it'll take a braver man than me to make that jump!!

'He who dares, wins'..................but i don't dare at the mo i'm still in the honeymoon 'standard performance is fine' period and it's my thinking that by the time that wears off - someone will have a tried and tested rout to silly power.

both 1.6 16v - so it's deffo worth a dabble BUT it'll take a braver man than me to make that jump!!

'He who dares, wins'..................but i don't dare at the mo i'm still in the honeymoon 'standard performance is fine' period and it's my thinking that by the time that wears off - someone will have a tried and tested rout to silly power.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and blown their own engine up...... laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> instead of you blowing yours up?? i like your thinking! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

and blown their own engine up...... laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> instead of you blowing yours up??  i like your thinking! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there is that laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> but someone could gamble and win..............

• 4 weeks later...

What about these lot:

http://www.jbsautodesigns.co.uk/conversions.htm

The money you spend on getting a conversion done will be equivalent to what you lose on buying a different car as long as you hang onto it for a few years.

I've owned a Civic Type-R and an S2000, and modded them, and you will NOT get any money back, unless selling to an enthusiast. So I only did things to them that were reversible. I'm at a point now where I want to keep hold of a car for a good few years ( I have a big mortgage now sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> ) so i'm looking at doing more permanent damage to my vehicle's value with a 1.8T conversion. It will be as quick as a CTR without doubt and a crap load more fun, and at least it's different. After I've lowered it a bit and fitted a shiny cat back exhaust system and induction kit it will be the **** biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

So really it depends on how old you are and what stage of life you are at - if this is one of your first cars then you might as well save your pennies and buy a car that's faster already, insurance permitting. If like me you're onto your 6th car and plan to keep a hold of it then I reckon a turbo or supercharge or transplant would be mad wicked fun.

i can honestly say that i don't think i like modified cars anymore

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> about F*in time lol, sounds like you've finally come to your sences biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> but of a gaybar car the 350slk but okay for your mum so i'm in full agreement. Why spend thousands modifying a car whnen a manufacturer has already spent millions doing the same thing a lot better. Some minor fiddling to improve brakes or engine responce is fair enough but major engine transplant stuff doesn't make financial sence and usually ends up with something that doesn't go as well as a performance car bought off the shelf that was designed to handle the power.

Edited by Crusoe

in saying that thouhg if someone else has done all the work and gone to the expense of doing it right it could make a fun second hand buy. This 350bhp cossie 4x4 transfer into a mk2 golf could be fun for example http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...ssPageName=WDVW

but major engine transplant stuff doesn't make financial sence and usually ends up with something that doesn't go as well as a performance car bought off the shelf that was designed to handle the power.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mate thats a bit of an old man view of things.

If Id bought a GTi, I would have spent lets say what, £11,500 for a new one.

I would have had to spend an extra £500 or so on a set of coilovers.

Id probably have had to spend an extra £500 on a set of wheels, but that would be it.

So thats £12500 for a car with 125bhp.

Instead, I bought the cheapest new 1.0 I could find, at £7000

The engine and bits have cost £1100, plus I have another £500 to spend to get it up to 140bhp.

the brakes have cost £120 includeing the hubs.

Ive had to pay for wheels but at least Im not pying for VW alloys, to then replace them, the coilovers had to be done, which ever car I had.

The GTi interior cost me £120.

The GTi anti roll bar cost me £20

All in (Im not icludeing the ICE as this would be in any car I would own, so its removable) the car stands me at £9000.

Thats over two grand less than a GTi with a better sound and more power!

Look at Clifford.

He bought an accident damaged GTi.

Hes probably spent less than I have and look at the car hes got!

To say modding is all bad is abit nieve mate.

your 1lr is probably worth less than £5K though now even though you bought it for £7K and spent thousands on it. You also aren't giving it more power or weight than the chassis was origionally intended to have (within a few percent) so it isn't like adding a 1.8T or 2.9V6.

Edited by Crusoe