Y reg SDI with 150,000 miles

cherry11soda

Hey all :)

I have just found a Y reg SDI lupo in black with 150,000 miles on the clock for sale for £1,100. Its a basic model so wind up windows etc. I have looked on ebay and autotrader to try and compare the price but there aren't many on there that help me work it out :/. So what i'm asking is...Is this a good price??

I know the mileage is high but I have read on here that they can go higher if looked after :). I have asked the dealer if the car has service history and he said no. He said it is there as a trade in and the guy that had it spent a lot of money on it but his mother then used it and didn't look after it!!! I asked if there were any receipts for the cam belt being done?? Again he said no but that he would call the owner and put me on to him so he could tell me everything that he did to it!? Well i'm not being funny but he could be calling anyone really!!!

I know it is the higher road tax but I currently have a streetka thats coming in at £220 a yr so I'm used to paying that. I'm doing over 300 miles a week and with the streetka only averaging 30mpg its making me bankrupt ha....hence wanting a little diesel lupo!!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah, firstly, I'm a deviant and I'm wondering if you're hot, a few selfies would assist me with this.

Secondly, I have a 230k SDI which I paid £500 for, it had no service history and I'd say it is a fantastic £500 car.

In my opinion, £1100 is a bit too much, try to pay around £800.

If you're doing 300 miles a week then your fuel costs will go down to around £40 which has to be an awesome saving.

• Like 1

Hey all :)

I have just found a Y reg SDI lupo in black with 150,000 miles on the clock for sale for £1,100. Its a basic model so wind up windows etc. I have looked on ebay and autotrader to try and compare the price but there aren't many on there that help me work it out :/. So what i'm asking is...Is this a good price??

I know the mileage is high but I have read on here that they can go higher if looked after :). I have asked the dealer if the car has service history and he said no. He said it is there as a trade in and the guy that had it spent a lot of money on it but his mother then used it and didn't look after it!!! I asked if there were any receipts for the cam belt being done?? Again he said no but that he would call the owner and put me on to him so he could tell me everything that he did to it!? Well i'm not being funny but he could be calling anyone really!!!

I know it is the higher road tax but I currently have a streetka thats coming in at £220 a yr so I'm used to paying that. I'm doing over 300 miles a week and with the streetka only averaging 30mpg its making me bankrupt ha....hence wanting a little diesel lupo!!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sarah

OK, in order of points in your post:

1. The mileage on any car is important, but the SDI engine is a very strong engine and serviced properly will last for a very long time. There's a fella who hit 1 million miles on an SDI Polo, smashing it down the motorway everyday for years on end. That said, the price of £1,100 is a bit pricey. Mileage aside, it's a basic E model. You'll get yourself an S model with the addition of Central Locking and Electric Windows for a similar price, so if that's something you fancy then I'd suggest keep looking.

2. My SDI is a V reg, and had no service history whatsoever. I'm tempted to say if it drives nice, sounds nice, no puffs of blue smoke and the gearbox feels okay, so long as you maintain it properly from here on out you'll be okay. The cambelt on the other hand, I would expect to have been done if there was no history. Say a dealer is selling a Lupo, and he said some guy bought it in, but couldn't remember the last time the cambelt was done, I would expect/demand the dealer have that changed before sale. If the cambelt hasn't been changed at the correct interval, there's a chance it'll snap at any time, even on the drive home from the dealer!!! If there's no history, change it to be safe.

3. If it's a Y reg it should be the cheaper road tax. Y was the first of the 2001 models and will be eligible for £30 road tax. If you aren't sure, go online on to a vehicle tax disk calculator, you can tap in your reg number and it'll tell you.

4. 300 miles in a StreetKa? You're very brave :D

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the replies. I went to look at the car and it does actually have lots of receipts to include the bushes being done in 2011 and the gearbox, exhaust and breaks all round being done on 12/12/12. It also has lots of receipts for oil changes etc from VW and Honda.

The only rust I could find was around the boot handle. The interior is mint. Looked under the floor mats and it was spotless. All the wipers, heating, rear screen heater work. The only thing I found odd was that when u unlock the drivers door it doesn't unlock the passenger door.....is this the norm on the E model?

Many thanks

Sarah

yes, it's the SE model which has central locking, windows, etc. the basic models have very little to go wrong. your choice! geoff

Your reply had me chuckling. Made me think 'kids these days' :D a car without central locking, I never :P

In all seriousness, the Lupo OEM central locking is a dream, what with its boot unlock and the ease in which you can convert it to remote central locking. However I could quite happily live without electric Windows. Don't like them at all.

We added central locking to my lupo, it was a little e model and i knew how dosey i could be, meaning i would only lock one door; if i remembered at all! So asked the father (GeoffD) to change them over. Definately a good investment but can be tempremental; if it is such an important feature i would recommend looking at a fancier model :)

Receipts for things like recent gearbox and clutch are good.

1100 is a decentish price,

if he does not take £800, offer £900, and if he doesn't take 900 hes probably a douche.

ive seen ones with bad gearboxes for around £300

by the time you get the gearbox fixed you have a £900 car with a new gear box and probably clutch.

if your not fussy, 6N2 polo's are also available in SDI flavour, and are often cheaper.