Budget Speaker Upgrade

And you don't have to whip the dash off?

No just tweeter grill. Sounds like you don't want to do it tbh no one is forcing you lol its just I think you may be disappointed with coax's. But then again £20 isn't going to break the bank.

No just tweeter grill. Sounds like you don't want to do it tbh no one is forcing you lol its just I think you may be disappointed with coax's. But then again £20 isn't going to break the bank.

No no, I do fancy fitting components, I'm just absolutely clueless when it comes to speakers etc pal. Installing and wiring radios sure, and other parts of a car I'm fine... but I've been reading up on component vs coaxial, and crossovers and this and that, and it's mostly gone over my head. I didn't like the idea of fitting a crossover filter if it required me taking the dash off to alter the wires up to the tweeters. If, as you say, that isn't the case, then I'm very tempted by the Alpines or picking a set of Focal's up off fleaBay. If you've got a wiring diagram I can work with, then I'll be fine :)

I'm probably gonna look like a fanny but what's a crossover filter :confused:

I'm still yet to understand this myself.

From my vague understanding, it seems to be something that directs the highs to the tweeter, the mids to the midwoofer, and the bass to the sub (if you have one)

Yep... I have no idea lol!!

Edited by Skezza

The ones i have are like a little box, with an input that comes from the head unit, and 2 outputs, one for the tweeter and one for the woofer. They stop all the low frequencies going to the tweeters, if you look at the standard ones, they have a resistor and capacitor on them which make up a basic signal filter.

I'm still yet to understand this myself.

From my vague understanding, it seems to be something that directs the highs to the tweeter, the mids to the midwoofer, and the bass to the sub (if you have one)

Yep... I have no idea lol!!

Its a crossover. I've not really heard people call them crossover filters tbh. xover for quickly typing.

Its a crossover. I've not really heard people call them crossover filters tbh. xover for quickly typing.

Oki doki, I'll get with the lingo :D

Oki doki, I'll get with the lingo :D

Also you get passive and active crossovers. Some alpine headunits can crossover from the head unit. Most amps have built in xovers too but it depends on what frequencies and what slope it crosses over.

I should probably mention at this point, Skezza if you can be arsed driving to me I'll give you a hand, am near Chester.

I'll do the important **** and you can make a how to.... ;)

I should probably mention at this point, Skezza if you can be arsed driving to me I'll give you a hand, am near Chester.

I'll do the important **** and you can make a how to.... ;)

You in the city of Chester? That ain't far from where I work, I'm only in Wilmslow. I'm very tempted by this offer sir :P Need to get a new set of speakers first!!!! Haven't bought them yet. Still torn between components and co-ax haha!! :)

I have just put in some Halfrauds Fli components with Crossovers and tweets because my door speakers were dead and fitting S*** is better than nothing. I just drilled two holes in my door cards and fitted the Tweets in there because i couldnt be arsed with messing with the dash. The car is small so doesnt make a huge difference tbh but i would always go for components over co-ax.

I had 6X9 amp'd on my speaker shelf when i brought the car but have replaced them with an amp and i want my sound up front.

You in the city of Chester? That ain't far from where I work, I'm only in Wilmslow. I'm very tempted by this offer sir :P Need to get a new set of speakers first!!!! Haven't bought them yet. Still torn between components and co-ax haha!! :)

Buy my type Es ;)

And yeah just outside of El Porto