Lupo TDI not starting - Update!

The Lupo TDI belonging to my wife refused to start this morning in spite of running perfectly when we parked it last night. The car turns over fine but shows no sign of starting and the only obvious problem is that the glow plug warning light does not come on (normally comes on briefly even when ambient temperature is relatively high).

I plugged in VCDS to see if there were any fault codes showing and found that when I tried to access the engine module I got the message "no response from controller". I tried the instruments and immobiliser and VCDS read them fine and told me there were no fault codes but I can not access the engine module. I am sure that I have read about problems on VWs with one of the relays that supplies power to the ECU but the only relays I can see are behind the fuse box and are not easy to get to.

Can anyone explain what is going on?

Update :

Just wanted to say thanks to Jon for his advice and encouragement and Rich for his fix which eventually got Kermit running again. The help was much appreciated!

Edited by Kermit Girl

Thanks for that - I think that is the one that I remember reading about on one of the forums. If the rain stops I will attempt to get to the relays and check it out. Is there an easy way to identify the 109 relay - the workshop manual has a diagram of the layout but does not mention relay 109?

Jon, I have managed to (almost) get to it but at least I can see it now and you are dead right about it being upside down! I have decided to take a chance and just order a new one to try and it will be in tomorrow for me to collect - if that does not work then I will have to try and find a decent wiring schematic and get the multimeter out! Just getting to the relays is awkward enough!!!!!

Rich, Will let you know if it works for me - did you manage to sort yours eventually?

Thanks for both replies - unfortunately I suspect that Bradex will not help in this case as the engine controller will not respond to VCDS and I am sure that Rich is correct when he says that the ECU will have lost its live feed. I,ve checked pretty much everything I can think of and even swapped over matching relays from my Golf TDI but can not hear any of the relays on the main relay board operate when I turn on the ignition - however the starter turns OK and other electrics (lights,locking,windows) work fine.

I have just got an updated workshop manual from Ebay to see if I can get a decent wiring diagram but it is proving to be a real PITA to load onto my desktop. Also the weather is not ideal for pulling off the trim around the windscreen to get to the ECU so have had to spend time at the weekend trying to clear enough space in the garage to squeeze the Lupo in.

Jon - thanks for the offer of the diagrams - will let you know if I need them but hope to have the manual loaded eventually!

Technology is wonderful when it works - sometimes I get a bit nostalgic for the days when cars had simple things like points and coils!

Edited by Kermit Girl

Oh no, still not sorted yet?

If you are still waiting on Rich, I have all the wiring diagrams should you want them.

Jon,

I would like the relevant wiring diagrams if you have them - what I am looking for are the connections to the ecu.

I managed to get the manual on to my desktop eventually and it is now working but I am still unable to locate the diagrams that I need - I thought this was because the version I had on the laptop was an old copy and maybe did not have all the info but the current copy I have loaded does not seem any different. I can find specific diagrams for certain circuits but nothing showing the connections to the ecu - not sure if I am just being dumb and looking in the wrong place!!!

• 2 weeks later...