HID Kit question (plug and play?)

Skezza

Before anyone mentions it, I already know that they fail an MOT.

A mate has offered me his HID Kit for next to nothing. It's never been fitted. It's Bi-Xenon which I know is correct for Lupo and H4. He said it was more desirable than other kits because it's genuine plug and play, you don't need to take a wire from the battery.

My question to others is, do kits without a battery feed work? Is there enough space to fit them behind the headlight? There's

all the wiring and the ballast so just making sure if in case I buy them.

• Like 1

Are you going to make a "how to" ?

I hadn't thought about it... perhaps. I do think they look good. I saw a Lupo with them a while back and they looked excellent. (No, they didn't dazzle me :D )

potentially cat amongst the pigeons here. . .mine were of Ebay, £45 or so, and they didn't fail the MOT. That said although they were brighter asnd looked the part, the beam pattern was awful and when the bulb/unit failed for the second time off they came. They were the type that wired to the battery. . .so not sure that helps but it was my experience all the same

potentially cat amongst the pigeons here. . .mine were of Ebay, £45 or so, and they didn't fail the MOT. That said although they were brighter asnd looked the part, the beam pattern was awful and when the bulb/unit failed for the second time off they came. They were the type that wired to the battery. . .so not sure that helps but it was my experience all the same

The kit I've been offered supposedly doesn't need wiring into the battery. I've only ever come across ones that do. Was it easy to fit? Was there enough space behind or did you have to do some hackery to fit them?

there is a bit of a grey area at the moment regards HID kits, last mot i had i was chatting to tester and he said that only kits brighter than so many lumens (cant remember how many) require the washers and self leveling, and if the kit gave a lower light output it would pass, however as they had no method of testing the light output they had to pass them, so i suspose where you take it depends on weather it passes or not.

HOWEVER if the light pattern is rubbish or non existant, or alignment is out it will fail

Edited by electricracer

there is a bit of a grey area at the moment regards HID kits, last mot i had i was chatting to tester and he said that only kits brighter than so many lumens (cant remember how many) require the washers and self leveling, and if the kit gave a lower light output it would pass, however as they had no method of testing the light output they had to pass them, so i suspose where you take it depends on weather it passes or not.

HOWEVER if the light pattern is rubbish or non existant, or alignment is out it will fail

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bi-Xenon-HID-Conversion-kit-H4-Hi-Lo-6000K-8000K-/200721068287?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ebbe870ff

Apparently this is the kit he's offering me. No battery wire whatsoever. He also claims the Slim ballasts are better because you can place them easier?

Thoughts?

a mate fitted mine, but when the second unit failed and i took it all off the only 'hackery' was an enlarged hole in the back of the 'cap' on the back of the headlight unit, so relativley neat i would say, the ballast units were cable tied up and pretty much out the way.

a mate fitted mine, but when the second unit failed and i took it all off the only 'hackery' was an enlarged hole in the back of the 'cap' on the back of the headlight unit, so relativley neat i would say, the ballast units were cable tied up and pretty much out the way.

So, the only modification you have to do is cut a hole in the black casing ? That could be easily solved by buying a couple of replacements from a scrappy for a quid or two. Did you get dust or dirt into the light unit though?

You say yours failed? Was it the bulb or ballast that failed?

You say yours failed? Was it the bulb or ballast that failed?

one of each !

the holes in the back were marginally larger than they needed to be, but they were not on the car long enough for this to be a concern for me. Surely the only way dirt could get to the unit itself would be through the bulb apeture ? and as mine havent had the 'take it apart and lens dulling routine' i dont suppose dirt access would ever be significant.

Interesting, sounds like yours were a bit unreliable. I'm tempted, I must admit, but whether it's worth it, I'm not sure. I've been told the super slim ones can fit into the light cluster itself but that sounds a bit dangerous considering the ballasts get hot! So I'm thinking I'd more likely put a hole in.

i guess you have considered better than standard bulbs already ??

i guess you have considered better than standard bulbs already ??

Currently, I have a set of rainbow bulbs fitted. They're pretty good, but I kind of like HID's. I'm not 100% decided yet. Guess it depends if I can get some replacement back covers for the headlights from a scrapper.

I fitted hids with slim ballasts to my arosa, very straight forward simply swap over the bulbs (no drilling or anything they just plugged in) , small hole in the casing for the wires to come through and secure the ballasts to the bodywork.

4300k is where you need to be, more light output, 6k is worse.

But to be honest all light output from reflectors is poo compared to projectors imo.

Fitted osram night breakers to our lupo, amazing bright and excellent full beam, but theres just darker patches in places because of the reflectors, must be grim if HID's are fitted.

Is it for looks or brightness that you want them skezza?

hmm, not sure, I guess looks and they're supposed to be more efficient right?

The bulbs I have fitted now are nice because they make signs much easier to read than the original bulbs (which were like having two candles in my headlights). They look white to oncoming traffic and I've not been pulled with them. They're called 'rainbow bulbs' and are not particularly expensive, about £10 a pair i think. I bought them about 12 months ago and only just fitted them. I'm fairly satisfied, I just wonder if HID's are better. Most people seem to buy a kit and then use it from car to car...

Perhaps I should just get a set of Osram Nightbreakers next time :\

I always post the same thing on here but here it goes again. For light performance, night breakers are excellent :) for looks, Phillips Diamond vision.