always a live feed to my head unit HELP!!!

craig_allman

Get a multimeter and check the feed from the main loom, one of them (either red or yellow) should be a switched live. If for some strange reason there isn't one it is very easy to take one off the ignition barrel.

I'm probably completely wrong but my golf used to do it sometimes and it was because when I pulled the key out the two connect in the barrel kept getting stuck and didn't come together

Sorry meant to say 2 contacts in the barrel

Shouldn't it always have a constant live to keep its memory of settings and stations tho? Sounds like you've wired your switched live from the h/u into the permanent live on the cars loom.

It does sound like the red/yellow permanent/switched lives are not connected correctly and it should be an easy fix.

You'd need to splice the wiring so that you don't break the circuit fully as the switch is obviously needing a live feed in order for it to work. I urge you not to do this tho.

You're just adding to the problem, instead of solving it, plus when it comes to selling it you don't wanna be the guy that says 'yeah, don't turn off the rear demister, the radio will turn off.' It's a billion times better to get to the root cause of a problem and sort it instead of carry on cutting corners and bodging it, itl just lead to more issues.