Stubby Aerial suggestions?

Jaymo_WBA

Ive got a Lupo GTI spoiler that is going on my MK2 arosa before Ultimate Dubs in March but will need to change the aerial unless I want the spoiler re-painting every week :P any suggestions on which is the best aerial to buy...or anyone who has a gti spoiler on an arosa what aerial have you got?

Cheers

Stubby aerials, a true evil but I'm biased haha.

In all honesty, if you listen to FM + CD's only, I'd get one of these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Bora-Caddy-Golf-Lt-Lupo-Stubby-Bee-Sting-Aerial-/190566538838?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5ea69e56

Cheap and unoffensive.

If you want something a bit more obnoxious:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_253635_langId_-1_categoryId_165622

You won't lose much, if any, from your FM reception, however don't expect MW/AM to ever work again lol. Also don't expect it to survive car wash so you'll need to remove it each time, if you don't hand wash it.

Edit: I can't remember who it was who was selling Golf stubby's altered to fit the Lupo. They were a bit more expensive though (Although probably better aerials lol)

Edited by Skezza

Or go shark fin & colour code the bugger. Reception isn't great on mine, but it looks the tits :thumbsup:

Sweet! cheers Koop ill look into it :)

Note that sharkfins are even worse, than the short rigid stubby's for reception. All of it depends how much you value radio performance and what channels.

FM is pretty loose usually, you can get away with a bad antenna although you might get some intermittent hiss.

MW/AM is a far more inflexible, either you have a good antenna or you're ****ed and due to the way it works, a short antenna really won't work. So you'll probably end up picking a lot of interference up (or nothing at all).

Edited by Skezza

Yeah mine really is toss for reception :lol: You can also just delete it, smooth over the hole & run a **** load of aerial wire round the ceiling so your roof is basically an aerial. Someone on here did it I can't remember who.

Yeah mine really is toss for reception :lol: You can also just delete it, smooth over the hole & run a **** load of aerial wire round the ceiling so your roof is basically an aerial. Someone on here did it I can't remember who.

Link?

On mine I have a mk5 golf gti aeriel. You'll need to a bit of messing around with the wiring to get reception though. IIRC it's a raku to a fakra connection you need. The reception isn't great in mine atm but as soon as I relocate the signal booster all will be fine and dandy

Depends which one you get. There are a few that get decent signal

Maybe for FM, but few get any kind of AM signal with stubby aerials. Ultimately (And I've tried to explain this before to people on here), when listening to FM, I would have thought stubby aerials worked fine although maybe that isn't the case after all. I can't actually explain why they don't although it might be cheap materials.

For AM however, they are a no hoper. Simple. The length of the aerial is absolutely vital as the way AM is transmitted is totally different. Also the signal picked up is vital as AM is prone to electrical interference from EVERYTHING. An aerial with the intention of picking up AM has to be a proportional divisor of the wavelength of the transmission blah blah blah blah, blah, can't be arsed to explain this again, but the point is those stubby wavelengths aren't usually a divisor and aren't usually long enough to pick up enough of the wave to provide a pleasant listening experience to the driver.

Edited by Skezza

Yeah but who listens to AM? :P

In all seriousness though, interesting stuff. Didn't realise they worked in different ways. And yeah you're right man, the signal probably will never be as good as a standard aeriel. In saying that though, could you not do what Koop suggested above?

Edited by Pete91

Yeah but who listens to AM? :P

In all seriousness though, interesting stuff. Didn't realise they worked in different ways. And yeah you're right man, the signal probably will never be as good as a standard aeriel. In saying that though, could you not do what Koop suggested above?

If you haven't noticed... I do haha! I listen to Radio 5Live for the live football commentaries and when I had a shorter aerial, I noticed a huge drop in the quality of the reception. Like incredibly bad. Also, i got tonnes of electrical interference which some of it's normal, like from powerlines and trains etc, but some of it was coming from the spark plugs etc. I changed the plugs and leads, made no difference, I fitted a 3 pound 16' bee sting aerial from eBay... perfect AM again :shades:

Yes, I like the idea of turning the entire roof into an aerial, but I couldn't find how to do it on Club Lupo.

Edited by Skezza