sdi tuning HELP iv hit a mental block!

DENTOUT

Right ok, ive seen many threads saying there are little or no ways to tune the slow n sluggish 1.7 Sdi lump, iv tried a few things, so far not cost much

EBay tuning box ( aka a resistor in a plastic box) 32 quid

Removed intake trumpets and cleaned inlet manifold

Ground out intake ports on manifold

Chopped out air intake from airbox upto manifold and replaced with cda intake 40 quid

Right so now im stuck, I KNOW the answers I will get, get a turbo, get a tdi, blah, the reason I have the Sdi is coz me and the Mrs use it ands its only a group 3 insurance, im used to driving a golf gttdi 130 so need more from thr loopie,

Any help or previous mod experience would be fantastic lol

I reckon its around the 75bhp and 130nm torque ( maybe)

I do understand the 90bhp golf tdi engine is very similar head and block wise, any experience of using a turbo from it on an Sdi?

I aint scared of modding/tuning but want to keep the 1.7 in there

Cheers guys

Why do people persist on buying a dog slow car designed for mpg (which it is dam good at) and then try to make it faster, it baffles me.

only think i can think of is maybe a decat, full exhurst system, 4-2-1 manni, decent airfilter like a bmc or somin then a remap as you can gane a lot from a remap on diesel engines, all that should make it quicker, but would probaly lower you mpg

As far as I know, without going too far, a proper remap -none of this chiptune malarky -in conjunction with a decent aftermarket airfilter, and the trumpets removed will get you 70bhp, and the same torque as the 3L's 1.2TDI, without sacrificing the mpg, even probably improving it a smidgen. Maybe a straight through stainless exhaust will add a bit more.

As said before, the SDI isn't a racer, just a supremely frugal car with loads of low rev grunt for nipping about in, but what i've mentioned above will give a little more poke for overtaking and tackling hills, which without having decent momentum to tackle is the car's nemesis.

If you want to go down the route of sticking a Turbo on, this thread is probably a good place to start -although it's still not straight forward. the Golf MkIV 1.9tdi ALH/AGR (possibly more) inlet manifold/turbo/injectors/downpipe will fit the SDI, but the manifold needs quite a bit of modification so it doesn't foul with the bonnet. Then there's supplying the turbo with oil (easy enough) and installing a custom/piggyback ECU to actually make the turbo work. It still won't be near as quick as a 130PD mind, and for all the hassle, it would be more straight forward and reliable to stick a PD engine in wholesale.

Or, despite you saying you didn't want a reply like this, buy a tdi. I'm sure this is cheap to insure and whatever, but for the extra few pennies, you'll get much more out of it, still good mpg, and you'll save a few quid from not ****ing about with turbos and bits that aren't intended for your engine.

• Like 1

Ok none of that really helped, was all typical answers I expected tbh, my Mrs is more than happy with it but the point is, my run around is a 130pd so wen I get in the lupo it feels like im going backwards lol, just wanted to hear experience of cheap/sensible upgrades to give more oompff! If I wanted a tdi I would obviously have bought one... But I like the Sdi for cheap insurance, plus the tdis are a lot more to buy initially...

I don't like walking anymore, is there anything I can do to speed it up

Reason I'm asking is that I normally run everywhere but when I have to walk it feels so slow !

Sorry but you're never gunna get a 1.7 Sdi to match a PD130, and if you're going to attempt to then I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

You're discussing sticking a turbo on it... But You didn't want to buy a tdi? I have nothing to say to you.

PS - insurance fraud is bad, I hope you're going to declare this turbo.

Haha I know plenty of people who don't declare - I couldn't give two ****s who declares and who doesn't. It was a sarcy comment really, I don't see how you will save any money by fannying around with a turbo

But what do I know, I'm just a window cleaner.

keep it reliable and frugal.

if you want speed, look into another bloody car. or an engine swap.

my SDI was slow, I considered engine conversions etc, and its not worth it,

you wont get anymore than 90bhp from these cars before the clutch eats it, and theres like NO uprated fast road engine parts for the AKU diesel lump.

pretty sure I mentioned before about messing around with mechanical diesel pumps on an SDI.

personally i could not be bothered to do that, all that fluffing about in a little space. you would drop MPG but would smoke like a mother and probably would see some more performance.

Rich and Scotty... The typical jerks on here that have an answer for everything except the question in hand... Maybe you should use that quote in your Sig!

Anyway if thats all im gna get then thats that, ill just have to look into porting out a head and matching manifolds next then

Thanks to the genuine people with genuine answers!

Put a brick under the accelerator of the pd130 then it won't seem as fast, that will make the lupo now feel like its as fast as a pd engine and the problem solved

I was thinking outside of the box, you ain't going to get 130 bhp out of a sdi without spending massive ££££ so let's make the pd slower to lessen the bhp gap

Edited by scotty_82

Yet still solving the problem in an economic climate where disposable income isn't as prevalent

• Like 1

It would have cost you much less to buy the TDI in the first place that's buying the SDI and buying/fitting/insuring all there mods.

Porting and matching manifolds on a 60bhp diesel is madness