Hello! Need some advice please :)

markmcg

Hi everyone,

Right, so I'm looking to buy my first car and I'd quite like to get a lupo! I thought it would be best if I done a little bit of research into them and this seemed like a good place to do so:) I don't really have a clue about buying a used car so I'm sorry if any of my questions seem stupid! Also all help/advice is very much appreciated! I've had a look through some threads and wrote down a list of things to check for which is:

1. Check the clutch feels smooth and not dropped low. (What other things should I check for in the pedal box?)
  2. Check for gearbox whines. (Would any whines be when changing gear?)
  3. Make sure it's easy to select 1st&Reverse gears.
  4. Check for play in the doors.
  5. Check cam belt and water pump have been replaced.

I went to see one on Monday but just before the place was closing so all the cars were packed in the garage so could only start it up and have a look inside. The body work looked immaculate, inside was nice and clean, bit of wear but nothing that would bother me. It had about 36k on the clock and its a black, 1.0L, 2003 model:)

If anyone can suggest any other checks I should do or any tips in general when looking/buying a lupo that would be nice! :D

Cheers, Mark.

Hey buddy, welcome :)

First off thank you for taking the time to search first.

Seems like you've got most of the common things to look out for the only thing I would really add is do a quick rust check in the rear arches.

And as with any car it's always good to have a look over the cars history but it sounds like a decent lupo to me if you're happy with the condition/engine.

Don't be to put off if the doors make a bit of noise when you open them it isn't really an expensive fix.

Good luck with the viewing and hope to see you as a regular member on the forum :)

Edited by joshuaar

Hey buddy, welcome :)

First off thank you for taking the time to search first.

Seems like you've got most of the common things to look out for the only thing I would really add is do a quick rust check in the rear arches.

And as with any car it's always good to have a look over the cars history but it sounds like a decent lupo to me if you're happy with the condition/engine.

Don't be to put off if the doors make a bit of noise when you open them it isn't really an expensive fix.

Good luck with the viewing and hope to see you as a regular member on the forum :)

Hey! Cheers lads :)

Yeah I'll make sure I check for rust and have a good look at the log book/receipts etc! Is there any questions I should ask when viewing?

I should hopefully have my mums mate who is a mechanic coming with me, so I'm hoping he know's what to do:P

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah good one I didn't realise my passenger window didn't work until I'd already bought mine :rolleyes:

Yo! Okay so wen't to see that Lupo and had to walk away. It looked fine, was clean and tidy(couple of minor scratches that I didn't notice before) but had no service history, hadn't been serviced, cam belt + water pump hadn't been replaced and they guy wouldn't come down in price at all he was wanting the full £2695! My mum's mate who was with us said it wasn't worth it especially without the service history and then I noticed it had a cassette player and I was just like right... that's the last straw:P

Was a bit gutted tbh! But wouldn't want to buy something that I might end up regretting. Also, before we even got home he had phoned my house and said he could give me 6 months warranty instead of the 3 months advertised and do 1 years tax, still not sure though.

while 36k is low mileage, if its not been looked after it would be more worth-wile buying a higher mileage car with FSH.

Dealers are Gay, Go buy one from a private seller.

you could pick up a tidy lupo 1.0 with around 60k and FSH for much less than 2K. then you'd have money in your pocket.

think about how many stickers you could buy with £695!

Glad you all agree! Feel a bit less gutted now haha :) As soon as he said it had no service history he tried to hit us with some bullsh*t story haha. I seen a blue w reg Lupo on an auction site with 60k miles(not sure what price though) and my cousin know's a guy that works there, so will see what that's like! Then I seen a black Arosa(04), £2,395, 50k miles. Are they as good/reliable as lupo's?

I'll be paying as much for insurance as I am for a car roughly, so it would be good if I could get one for around £2k!

I'm hoping I don't kill the car Rich! But you are not the first person to say that haha, I wan't something half decent though, that I won't have to fork out loads on for repairs etc, I've searched relentlessly on gumtree, ebay, autotrader and just all the car dealerships around me, dunno what to do now!

Edited by markmcg

Repairs are all part of the fun.

that's why a bought a MK2 golf.

Private sellers!

arosas are good for the money, the less you spend on a car the more you can spend on Tat to go with it, Fuel and stickerbomb sheets.

if you save up, you could get some carbon wrap too

Yeah I suppose they are if you can repair it yourself! haha, I don't have a clue :( I was looking at a mkII golf! Looked mint condition and was only like £750 or something, but the insurance would have killed me.

My mum won't let me buy from a private seller cause she's scared something will go wrong haha, but I tried telling her anything could go wrong with any car, just depends!

True, but I want it to run good too lol

Mk2 golf for 750.. fishy.

also, my GTD is cheaper than my old Lupo SDI to insure :)

dealer warranties usually have loopholes and are pretty well constructed in there favour.

if it drives well then its usually a good buy.

I know I decided to just leave it lol.

Yeah, I've been told that most warranty's are a load of rubbish anyway! The lupo I seen today drove fine, just a shame about the no service history and price.

Good point Rich, If you mean post a pic of my mum, I think I'll pass haha!