Camber!!

Just lowered my Arosa, basically i have just undone the two 18mm bolts on the shocker and pulled the shock right out, handles fine but what will the car be like in terms of tyre wear? What has everyone else done when they have lowered?

Batesy

depends on the drop... mines all the way down on 13's with 165/65's and the wear isnt too good probablies below legal on the inside and 4mm on outside and the last car i had was showing wire through 1/3 of the tyre... but tbf if the tracking is spot on then you should have muich of an issue... hope this helps.

No not at all, like i said im getting the tracking done this week so that will see it all sorted out :) and no im running mk3 golf wheels, so not particularly wide haha! How are yours that wide?! :0

Don't run camber unless you have to, it kills tyres (through uneven wear) & handling.

as Deadmetal said, camber wears tyres slightly faster and unevenly, but the major factor is toe. i ran camber for months, and it wore the inside of my tyre out slightly faster. when i knocked my wheels out of alignment (due to a stupid fault of my own) the toeing was that bad my brand new front tyres were completely bare after a month tops. i recommend highly to get your tracking done.

p.s. as a note, the more camber you have, the worse your car will handle like an ice skate in the wet, as koop briefly mentioned above.

• Like 1

Getting my tracking done today and im gonna buy a camber gauge off ebay and sort it out, get it running stock camber again, should be 0 on an Arosa so ive heard?

Batesy

As said, negative camber shouldn't ruin tyres, although it will undoubtly wear them quicker on the inside.

With regards to handling, negative camber is good for handling, as when you turn in, the weight shifts, the suspension compresses and as this happens, depending on the amount of caster you run, you can keep the whole tyre in contact with the road.

If the camber is set to 0, when you corner hard, most of the contact patch on the tyre is on the outside, which is obviously not good, hence why a bit of negative gives you grip. Although 0deg camber is good for drag racing, as you're getting the whole 195mm of your tyre on the road!

But running excessive negative camber on the road can be a bit unnerving, especially in the wet on a motorway for example. Upto -1deg in my experience is okay for road use. Any more and you compromise tyre wear, comfort, straight line traction and road holding ability. It will tend to follow small ruts in the road and will also exaggerate any toe alignment issues.

Yeah sorry I should have said excessive camber will screw your handling, a bit should actually help.