Air suspension guide

Just thought it would be good to have a guide up on here for air as its becoming more popular

I have done a basic diagram for a manual set up.

Hope it helps

diagram.jpg

• Like 1

Here’s an exact diagram of how I have plumbed my air management in (manual paddles being fed from the tank by two 10mm for increased airflow and therefore raise speed)

airride_diagram.jpg

• The manual paddles have two inline ports on them, one says Del the other sup (deliver and supply) the air feed from the tank is plumbed to the supply port, and this port is at the bottom of the switch. At the top is the supply port and is plumbed to the bag that corresponds to that switch. When the switch is pushed up it allows the pressure from the tank to flow through the switch and into the bag. When the switch is pushed down it releases the pressure from the bag. The switch can be thought of as having 3 ports, tank inlet, Bag and release. When the switch is pushed up the realise valve is closed and the inlet and bag ports are opened allowing the bag pressure to be raised. When the switch is pushed down the inlet is closed and the bag and release ports are opened allowing pressure from the bag to flow out and deflate.
  • The concept of the pressure gauges is very simple, the gauges i have in my car are airlift Dual needle ones. This basically means it is two gauges combined into one and has two separate needles each can reading the pressure corresponding to the bag that it is plumbed to. There is a simply inline fitting on the back of the gauges for an 6mm airline to be pushed on. There is no air flowing through the gauges! The best way to think about it is that they are tapped into the airlines that feeds the bag and therefore as pressure in the lines is the same as the bag all the way back to the switch they read this pressure on the dial. Meaning the gauge will read the pressure that is in the bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Image fixed.

Thanks for the guide Piers, I'll leave it here for a while to see if any other examples turn up. If not I'll lock it and stick it in the "How to..." area.

can we get this moved and pinned jamie?

The way i'v wired my compressor is through a 30amp Relay .This makes it easier to add additional compressors at a later date as you use a proper power sorce wire and fuse from the battery and a ignition live that i picked up from the fusebox, the relay is the switch that controls the compresor to turn on and off. for the relay to close and allow power to flow to the comprssor it needs a signal from the ignition live ( so only when the ignition is on and stop ypu draing the battery) and also the signal from the presure switch the one i have is between 175 and 200 psi.only if both of these give signals will the comprssor come on.

there is another way of wiring it up that pulls all the power to the comprssor through the ignition live ( can be done through the head unit) it's not as easy to add additional comprssors though

Edited by Blaine

ah, thats handy enough then, and when you have 150psi or your 175psi in the tank, you can just use it to fill the bags? i imagine it would drain the tank filling all four bags though? also, can you have all four bags independently controlled?

I feel like such a noob :/

Well you can fill the bags with any pressure ,as long as the pressure inside the tank is greater. So that when the valve is opened the air flows in the correct direction, oviously air will flow from a high prssure vessle to a lower one to try and equalise the pressure.like a ballon full of air, the prssure inside the ballon is greater than the atmospear so the air wants to flow from inside the ballon back out into the atmospear and equalise the pressure.( with a 5Gal tank full of 80psi you can raise and lower a Lupo around 3 times so I'm sure with 200psi it must be at leat 6times ) you never realy put more than 50psi in the bags anyway. And yes you can run the ailines so that each corner is controlled seperatly from it's own switch (look at the diagram I uploaded) this is the best setup for handling aswel.

Edited by Blaine

That is sweet! Bags is definetly more an option now I know more about it, 5 more questions then I'll leave you in peace!

1. What air kit fits the lupo?

2. Do you get everything in the kit? (switches, tank, compressor)

3. If you got it installed by a professional, then wanted to change the gauges (or a different component) could you easily do it yourself?

4. Does it pass M.O.T no bother?

5. Do you have to run with alloys that have loads of tuck or can you have them flush and not ruin your arches when you put it down?

Thanks so much!

Yes Bags are definately the way forward for lowered everyday cars I could go on all day about pros of them over Coils.

There are two parts to an Air ride kit. The bags themselves (on a lupo this is front air struts and seperate rear bags) And the Air management system. If you are serious about wanting a kit talk to Andy at Low standard. Currently the cheapest bags are HPS ones and cheapest Management Airlift 2 way manual paddles.

Yes will defo pass an MOT if instaled correctly.

You can run basically any wheels you want :)

Edited by Blaine

• 8 months later...