de cat pipe/manifold???? confusion :(

8ballvmax

hi guys i want to lose the cat converter on my 1.4s, i have looked on ebay and seen stainless manifolds claiming its a decat blah blah...... i thought the cat was somewhere in the pipe section???? im very confused ( doesnt take much lol) and i have also seen on flea bay a decat by-pass pipe for around £20?? very confused???????

ps not worried about the mot ;)

Your car has 2 catalytic convertors.

The first catalytic convertor (pre cat) is in the manifold and there is another under the car in the conventional place after the downpipe.

Most aftermarket manifolds include a downpipe decat section which will get rid of the second cat and will not have first pre cat at all.

Make more sense now?

Shaunsprules, I take it you're guessing and you don't really know for sure as there's no way of telling which of the two catalytic converters gives more of a restriction without putting them on a test rig with a micro manometer on either side to assess the pressure drop. None of which I'd guess you have access to.

Just because the box it comes in is bigger doesn't always mean it's more restrictive.

The monolith inside the tube which is coated with the catalytic material is what causes the restriction. Sometimes the casing can be a lot larger to reduce restriction as it allows more surface area for the monolith to work on. However sometimes it is also possible that a very small case can have a massive restriction as the monolith is very tightly spaced, meaning the air can't all get through as quickly.

The pre-cat in the manifold has little restriction. I think 'shaunsprules' is getting confused and mixing up the cat with the post lambda sensor which reads the efficiency of the cat. The conventional cat certainly isn't there to check the efficiency of the pre-cat! So the cat located under the car after the manifold is the one you want to remove. Personally on a 1.4s with no other performance mods i wouldn't bother, if you were getting a performance manifold to then you could justify it.

Mike