lupo gti with tuning

chippi218

And no. Just no, realistically, after the 125 out of the factory engine has had some use. A rr-ed 130, optimistically 140.

What he said.

much more work to get the 180hp figure.

Not worth it for the price and power gains. might be more responsive to drive mind..

Personally if i had a GTI, id leave the engine be.

Manufactures spend hundreds of thousands of pounds developing engines and components for a reason.

if it aint broke, Don't fix it!

Would carbs even work on a gti engine, wouldn't you need the ecu for the Vvt or is It a mechanical switch over

As casper said a decent manifold & cat-back coupled with an induction and remap are the obvious and most cost effective modifications. 145bhp can be achieved with those alone. I know 'foxy' achieved those figures.. I think with cams you could push 155bhp but you lose drivability and fuel economy goes out of the window. Thats without mentioning how much of a ball ache it would be to fit cams to the GTi with the unusual head design.. I have no experience of ITB's but from what i can gather you lose power (in comparison to a standard engine) up until about 4.5k?

Mike

Itb's are where things become difficult, especially with the Gti. You would need to convert to cable throttle and then run a standalone Ecu.

There is a Gti running cams on here, we're the first set made for the Gti engine by catcams, there were a few issues I'm told, just waiting for results from a remap now

Personally if i had a GTI, id leave the engine be.

Manufactures spend hundreds of thousands of pounds developing engines and components for a reason.

if it aint broke, Don't fix it!

Personally I really don't agree with this...

Your telling me that vw could only get 125bhp from a gti engine and that's where they wanted to leave it? And if the above were true then why is there modifications available to better improve the performance of said engine, infact any engine? Even something as simple as a remap improves the performances of engine whether NA or turbo'd why do the manufacturers not have this sort of map when it come out of the factory?

I'm not moaning btw just my opinion :)

Personally I really don't agree with this...

Even something as simple as a remap improves the performances of engine whether NA or turbo'd why do the manufacturers not have this sort of map when it come out of the factory?

I'm not moaning btw just my opinion :)

Manufacturers choose not to tune them for optimal performance, cecause they want you to buy the faster model.

Or

They want you to buy the special edition of the same model, which runs the same engine, but with a different map and a bigger turbo! E.g. PD130/150. Astra CDTI 150/888.

Thus, justifying tuning an engine.

Manufacturers choose not to tune them for optimal performance, cecause they want you to buy the faster model.

Or

They want you to buy the special edition of the same model, which runs the same engine, but with a different map and a bigger turbo! E.g. PD130/150. Astra CDTI 150/888.

Thus, justifying tuning an engine.

My point exactly :)

Manufacturers have to factor in extended reliability, not to mention the fact the car will be sold all over the world - including climates much hotter/colder than our own. Any increase in power will result in a decrease in engine longevity

As with everything, its a compromise.