Sh*t!!! I got flashed in M25 40mph zone!

`e-to`-`the-z`

ARGH!

Was driving my g/f back from the airport Saturday night, about 9.15pm I get flashed twice on M25....was doing approx 55mph in 40.

Really quite annoyed as it's 4 lanes of light traffic, clear/dry conditions with no valid reason for temp speed limit.

What am I likely to get for doing so? I expect points and a lovely fine, anyone had any experience with this ridiculous system? Is there anywhere to contact to find out if I have been caught? To be honest, the wait will kill me....I'd rather know now if I have been done! :cry:

QUOTE(bossjohnc)
No valid reason for the 40MPH speed limit?

No roadworks? Are you sure?

I expect it'll be the standard 3 points and £60. (If anything that is)

I don't recall seeing any road works....but even so, that surely can't apply at gone 9pm on a Saturday night? Fair enough during the day or in rush hour......bizarre.

Well, usually a temporary speed limit on motorway roadworks applies 24/7, not least because the people working on the roads usually do so at the least busy times. A lot of motorway workers are killed annually, so they tend to be quite strict with the limits.

You might be lucky though, in fact you probably will - I know people who are double flashed routinely and never get the dreaded letter.

Was it a roadside gatso or one of the ones mounted on the signs? If the latter, I think you'd have to be extreemly unlucky to get a ticket.

However I know a lot of that area is covered in roadworks at the moment - you might not be so lucky if it was a roadside one...

QUOTE(bossjohnc)
Was it a roadside gatso or one of the ones mounted on the signs? If the latter, I think you'd have to be extreemly unlucky to get a ticket.

However I know a lot of that area is covered in roadworks at the moment - you might not be so lucky if it was a roadside one...

All I remember is that the flash came from the left side of the road behind me.....there were several lanes of traffic so not even sure if it specifically went off just for me (I was definitely speeding though!)........certainly wasn't from directly behind me.

The roadworks area in the variable limit between the M4 and the M3 (or even further round, I've only been as far `anti-clockwise` as the M3 recently) are ganged with gatsos. There are a load of separate sets of the grading lines, and less cameras, so they move the cameras sometimes every night.

The only thing that might go your way is that those cameras bring in £££ and the film might have been used up

In an area of roadworks I can understand the cameras, why should you get killed going to work? I've seen them working there after midnight

I wouldn't be too worried - whenever I drive the M25 from the M3 to the M4, I see the Gatsos going off all the time. They must run out of film within an hour of being changed!

It certainly used to be the case that if you got flashed through temporary roadworks on a motorway, you got a fine but no points. However, that may have changed, so don't quote me on it.

QUOTE(snoopstah)
I wouldn't be too worried - whenever I drive the M25 from the M3 to the M4, I see the Gatsos going off all the time.  They must run out of film within an hour of being changed!

It certainly used to be the case that if you got flashed through temporary roadworks on a motorway, you got a fine but no points.  However, that may have changed, so don't quote me on it.

I certainly hope that's the case! Without a doubt it's taught me a lesson....have been driving like a pensioner since (not in the sense that I've been swerving from lane to lane without noticing mind!) laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I was flashed 2 weeks ago - didnt get anything yet.

I think they are good to be honest - its a huge amount of work and as twisty says they are always working nights. What a great job they are doing too - ahead of time and a great road surface.

QUOTE(tdwindustries)
I was flashed 2 weeks ago - didnt get anything yet.

I think they are good to be honest - its a huge amount of work and as twisty says they are always working nights.  What a great job they are doing too - ahead of time and a great road surface.

True, true.

Of course the irony is - the smooth surface makes you want to drive faster! doh. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Last time I was around that way there were still road works around the Egham/Staines junction, and they've been doing works there since I lived in London, and that was in 2001.

Certainly theres a couple of Gatsos about there, but its the cameras on the gantry's that I'd worry about (which are sometimes hard to spot unless the area around them is painted yellow), those Gatso always seem to be shooting blanks.

One thing I will say about the west side of the M25, in the interests of fairness, there are crap loads of signs to tell you what the limit is at that time of the day.

AFAIK if you don't hear anything in 14 working days you've got off.

Was reading an article in the Times last week which said the number of SPECS cameras (which measure your speed over a fixed distance, like a mile for instance) are going to go up dramatically, especially on motorways.

lovely persons evil.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":evil:" border="0" alt="evil.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

Tempry GATSO's on the M25 for the road work are working and making them money.

M4 and also I think the M6 north of birmingham have digital cameras now that time you over distance and work out your average speed...

When they finish the terminal 5 work between the M3 and M4 then you will find all the new over head road signs will be fitted with the Digital System so basicly as soon as you get off the M4 or M3 you will have to obay the ever changing speed limmit......

Sounds like money making and not road saftey to me becuase my local council refused to put a GATSO out side a school but were happy to spend £20k on a trailer with a big sign that displays your speed and park it on a dual carrage way where to my knollage there has not ever been an acident...

this dual carrage way has become a race track to see who can get the highest speed up on the sign......

QUOTE(DJ Marky Marc)
M4 and also I think the M6 north of birmingham have digital cameras now that time you over distance and work out your average speed...

That's an urban myth I'm afraid - no specs cameras on any motorways in the UK... yet...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/berkshi...ire/3233169.stm

That's an urban myth I'm afraid

think again

The SPECS system is so efficient and user friendly that Manchester CTO

processed 2,500 offences in 6 `man-hours`.

here is the link to the people who make the system

http://www.speedcheck.co.uk/specs.htm

ive seen it in the raod works on the M6 north of birmingham and its also been put into place on the M4 between reading and swindon in addition to the extra vans on the bridges that they are now using on the M4

M4 doesn't have Specs, only vans.

I'm reasonably sure that the M6 only uses Specs cameras in the roadwork areas where the limits are a lot lower, to protect the workforce. But I don't travel the M6 very often, so that might be out of date.

QUOTE(DJ Marky Marc)
here is the link to the people who make the system

http://www.speedcheck.co.uk/specs.htm

ive seen it in the raod works on the M6 north of birmingham and its also been put into place on the M4 between reading and swindon in addition to the extra vans on the bridges that they are now using on the M4

There are no specs on the M4.

Thanks for the link, but I can't see the bit where it says they use them on the Motorway.

Roadworks may be an exception of course...