Rough cost??

Jaybo

Hi all, just got some bad news today about my Lupo S. She had been running lumpy so I got my local Dub tuner to have a look at it and as I suspected it needed the throttle body cleaned and reset, We done this but it didnt make that much difference other that to cure the fault code on vag.com. He reckons that the engine has just had it, due to the 104k miles and prob poor servicing from previous owners and recommended that I get a new engine :(

On a positive note though this may give me an excuse to throw a GTI engine in out of a Golf etc, but I have very little knowledge when it comes to this stuff.

Can someone advise me as to what would be the best engine to change to and what parts I will likely need to source and change, ie: gearbox, drive shafts, loom and ecu etc etc.

More importantly a rough idea of what I can expect to pay for a swap out like this, bearing in mind I have a friend who will prob do the labour and give me a hand for next to nothing??

Cheers

Polo gti engine 125iish bhp

Engine, keys, loom, clock, ecu.

[written and advised under the influsnce]

Is that all I would need? I thought the gear box would need changed.

Do you know if its a direct fit? I know the engines look pretty similar in size and I'm hoping the mounts all lline up etc.

cheers

Is that all I would need? I thought the gear box would need changed.

Do you know if its a direct fit? I know the engines look pretty similar in size and I'm hoping the mounts all lline up etc.

cheers

i have NOT done this myself but from what i've read and seen, to me it looks like a direct fit. must be a POLO engine though. the Lupo ones a bit

different :)

i have NOT done this myself but from what i've read and seen, to me it looks like a direct fit. must be a POLO engine though. the Lupo ones a bit

different :)

Yeah I found this thread after i posted lol

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=70634&st=0

So started scarring the local forums to see if I could source an engine, but no joy :( another great bonus of living in Northern Ireland is that we have a great choice of cars and breakers yards pfttt :rant:

It all depends on how much time/money you've got and whether or not you'e done anything like this before.

You'll also have to do better than 'running lumpy' to describe your engine as dead.

If it hasn't actually gone 'boom' then you're not doing it properly.

Ok well the car was idleing funny and as I suspected due to having the same issue with my mk4 golf it needed the tb cleaned and reset. We done this and it cleared all the fault codes however, the car was still running a bit off, so we took it a rip down the road to see if that helped but still no change. While out on the run my mechanic recommended that she was losing power and due to the amount of gunk that had built up around the airbox and tb that the piston rings were gone. He recommended that as there is no way of telling what other damage has been caused to the internals of the engine and the mileage I'd be better trying to source one with lower miles, which leads me on to trying to find a gti lump for the wee car

Edited by Jaybo

What kind of tuner (I use the word in the loosest sense) writes off an engine because he cant make it run properly?

The gunk around the airbox is from the PCV system, not because the piston rings are 'gone'. If they were you would be burning oil like it was going out of fashion.

What is actually wrong with it?

What kind of tuner (I use the word in the loosest sense) writes off an engine because he cant make it run properly?

The gunk around the airbox is from the PCV system, not because the piston rings are 'gone'. If they were you would be burning oil like it was going out of fashion.

What is actually wrong with it?

Going to have another guy (VW trained) look at it in the morning and see what his diagnosis is. When the car is just ticking over it seems like its loosing power and going to cut out, also when flooring it he reckons his daughters 1.0 is almost as nippy. The previous owner has replaced, plugs, leads and all thoose parts, but at the same time had replaced the stock filter with a K&N type job and removed the standard filter. The guy that looked at the car for me is a mechanic by trade and builds race spec dubs.... he reckons that the previous owner was having the same issues as me (also lied to me about and told me the belts had been done :censored: and had put this filter on due to the fact the engine was breathing too hard and blowing gunk back up through the tb, or something along them lines. (He also says that this is a common issue with this type of engine and that they were prob trying to hide the problem)

I'd seriously start with ignition for this....

Other plugs could have been used as its recommended to change like for like.... leads could be a faulty one in there somewhere? But change the coil pack!!!!!!!! Seriously it'll be worth doing for the price!

Also check lambda sensor???

You may not need a new engine!

Was speaking to another guy today, who suggested that the problem may lye with the crankcase breather value. Anyone else had experience of this?

A blocked PCV system will cause problems, and I suppose it could increase pressure in the crankcase to the point where it forces oil past the rings.

Bit of a change of heart from the mechanic isnt it? We have gone from a thousand pound engine swap to a £50 piece of plastic pipework

A blocked PCV system will cause problems, and I suppose it could increase pressure in the crankcase to the point where it forces oil past the rings.

Bit of a change of heart from the mechanic isnt it? We have gone from a thousand pound engine swap to a £50 piece of plastic pipework

lol if it had have been the same mechanic had sugested that I'd have smacked him one :) It was actualy a random guy I met at a Dub meet last Sunday, come Friday AKA payday, I'm gonna nip out and get a new valve to try it. I got a price from TPS of about 16 quid plus vat for a oem valve, so its worth a shot

This has happened to a few other members too. Poor running caused by a blocked oil separator valve on the back of the engine.

When you replace it, make sure you replace the pipe that comes out of the top of it too, they also get nicely gunned up.

John