Joti's Red GTI on Schmidt Modernlines

Joti

One thing I love about the Lupo is that it is a fairly rare sight on our roads, and like me, I'm sure some of you have been asked "What is that?" regarding your Lupo.

I even got asked by a member of VW in Camberley whether mine was the new "Up!" :lol: and in VW Slough, I popped into parts, came out, and a member of the sales team was snapping a pic of my car on his mobile phone! Makes you chuffed...... It may be a small car, but I am proud to own and drive one.

Anyway....... the reason for the lenghty preamble, was although I am proud of owning a Lupo, I also kinda like the fact that a lot of people are not really sure what it is (without seeing the rear badge obviously).

So..................

0041340720477840.jpg

I have purchased the VW Beetle 2012 rear badge (above) and had planned to remove the "Lupo" badge and replace with this. Therefore the rear of my car would only say "Volkswagen" and "GTI" - stealthy huh?

HOWEVER I was really disappointed to receive this "badge" today, only to find that is nothing more than a reflective vinyl sticker, and there is nothing 3D about it at all....... :(

I am now not really sure about putting it on the bootlid, as I think a 2D sticker may look cheap?

I would value your opinions on this one......

Edited by Joti

Great minds my dear, I've been looking out for Volkswagen badges off old dubs. If I was you I'd hold off til you can get a proper original chrome jobby. Stick this one on the engine cover perhaps? Or send it back & say you want a chrome one ;)

The old ones though have studs in the back Koop, as they fitted into holes in the bootlid.

I can send it back, but this is a genuine VW part so it is what it is, there won't be a 3D badge (yet?)...... :surprised:

If I was you I'd hold off til you can get a proper original chrome jobby.

Mission accomplished. :thumbsup:

Oh yes.......... :)

You got one? You can just grind/file the studs off, winner ;)

In my opinion I wouldn't put it on mate. Get a proper plastic chrome one. Your car is classy looking and no skimped parts in sight so I would wait to get a proper badge. Just my opinion tho bud

Thanks Chris, yeah I'd pretty much decided not to use it. Returned it today and got another one on order - should have a photo update next week hopefully ;)

A small aesthetic update.

Before:

0171341331434182.jpg

0181341331434956.jpg

Just for a bit of fun............

0191341331435527.jpg

0201341331436110.jpg

Badge off

0211341331436669.jpg

0221341331437232.jpg

As far as I know, this is a UK exclusive :yes:

0231341331437812.jpg

0241341331438374.jpg

0251341331438946.jpg

0261341331439513.jpg

Hope you like........ :thumbsup:

I hear you guys, but as Silver! once said, if I'm paying the insurance on a GTI, I'm sure as hell gonna wear the badge! ;)

The badges on the right are meant to be seen together, so they read "Wolfsburg Edition GTI" by the way. :)

Thing with a red car is that the red "I" is not very noticeable...

I know it's not symmetrical, but I like it as is anyway. :)

Edited by Joti

Thanks Joe, I know it sounds anal, but I prefer the original font to the one that VW used in later years. I could also get my rear badge in the same font but all in silver, or even with a blue or green "I", but I want to keep it as is, even though it niggles me slightly, it would bug me more if the "I" was not red! There's just no pleasing me!! I'm a tricky customer. I do appreciate your efforts though pal ;)

Koop, cheers bud!

Fancied a quick photoshoot (in the wet!) to give some broader pics.

Beading.....

0011341382725419.jpg

0021341382726159.jpg

0031341382726739.jpg

0051341382727307.jpg

0061341382727878.jpg

The "no stripe" look ;)

0071341382728446.jpg

0081341382729046.jpg

0101341382729620.jpg

Last one.......

0111341382730218.jpg

that badge is the sex!

Cheers Jamie :)

lmao it certainly is indeed "the sex" nice shots mate. my favourite lupo :wub:

Wow, that means a real lot Sloanes. There are some truly awe-inspiring Lupos on here and some of the effort that has gone into them dwarf my humble mods! Still, I'm not going to argue with your obvious good taste :lol:

Edited by Joti

Lol it's not just what u done its the meaning it has as well. Plus the fact I thought "Urgh them wheels" but u pulled them off awesome

Ha! I thought the same when you said you were going to do yours orange, but then I loved it!!!! ;)

NEWSFLASH: Just did 290 miles on a tankful!

That about 20% better than normal :thumbsup:

Mind you, 230 of them was on a motorway in torrential rain ;)

Is it bad that i just did 293. still thats 40mpg

No that's cool if I just managed the same MPG as Vixen, don't ya think!!?? :yes:

See, you'd think that GTIs would cope better with driving at normal speeds ;) thats good for me, and only because i went to cumbria at the weekend haha. Standard for me is around 200.