GTi running rich

Hi all,

My GTi is running a bit rich, is that just the nature of the car or is their something wrong with it? I checked it last night and it literally had next to no oil in it, so it was straight away filled and its running a lot better but I thought it would be why it was running rich?

Looked at it last night and their is no leaks that I can see. I also got it checked back in June whenever I got it and it was looked at not so long ago getting work done to it. My car has done near 96k and it was serviced at 93k back last February and the last service it had the timing belt changed.

My boyfriend has told me that it is probably just the nature of the car and the way the exhaust is but I really wanted to check with fellow GTi owners to see if your cars do it as well?

When you say 'running rich', i assume you're referring to the air/fuel ratio?

If so, what makes you say it's running rich. The reason for asking is becase i want to confirm that you know rich/lean mixture has nothing to do with oil...?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge Cooper :(

Whenever I'm in traffic just appears to be alot of smoke coming out of my exhaust, my old lupo did this a bit as well but not as much as my GTi

Its burning that much oil you have a problem.. Usual causes are:

Valve guide wear/stem seals

Piston Rings

Both of which are cheap to rectify (parts), unfortunately labour will be expensive if you dont have the knowledge to do so yourself.

Mike

I assume that the smoke coming out the exhaust is clear. My GTI does it and it is indeed down to the exhaust design. The upward swept (rain catcher) exhaust tips are open to the elements and rain water gets down them and sits in the backbox. As the exhaust gets hot the water condenses and turns to vapour (steam), which is what you see coming out the back. That is nothing to worry about and is completely normal.

However, if the smoke you are seeing is black or dark in colour, then it's most likely oil that is being burnt as a result of worn piston rings or valve stem seals. This would also explain the excessive oil consumption.

Although, you've got to expect it to burn a bit of oil. I've found that my oil level sits at 3/4 on the dipstick. No matter how often i fill it, it always ends up on 3/4 and between services it sits between 1/2 and 3/4. I do give mine a pretty hard time though.

If the "smoke" is white then you don't have much to worry about, it'll either be steam from caught rainwater being boiled off in the exhaust or just normal exhaust gases.

I'd only worry if you're using a lot of oil and the smoke turns a blue/black colour, that suggests you're burning oil or running rich.