Car failing to start - Alternator? Battery?

Brief version:

Car won't start, battery light won't come on, havent got anything to test alt or battery. Help.

Detailed version:

Day 1: Dear diary. Driving home yesterday along A12, lights on the dash etc went off while the 'battery' light flashes at me for a second.

Pulled over, poo now in my pants, attempted to look under the hood like a typical man, realising I know nothing about the underside of my car, went 'f*ck it' and carried on my merry way home without any problems. How strange.

Got home late. Went bed.

Day 2: Car starts, move it back off driveway so I have room to look under hood (cramped) all cables look correct and fine and dandy from eye, from doing some searching on Club Lupo about possible Alternator or Battery faults.

Went to start car - nothing. The battery light on dash doesn't light up when I turn the key, which it usually does! After a lot of groaning, dash lights flickering, and dials having a fit, eventually I have to resort to jumping the car.

It now worked with a jump. Awesome. Parked car back up. Turned it off. Attempted a restart. Nothing.

Now I have done some Club Lupo searching and similar problems have come up, but never the battery light flashing the once before lights goin off, also, when driving having the battery light constantly on - I have no battery light.

Now I do not have a Multimeter/Voltmeter to test the car. I do not know anyone in Essex as I have I just moved here - so can anyone recommend a place to get one from?

And recommend me a place to get a refurbished Alternator from because it seems to the way of every thread - oh I have a problem - a lot of helpful advice - 2 months later OP says, oh I have fixed it! - without any information how he fixed it, where he got the part. So I haven't any idea where to get a reliable refurbished Alternator from.

I also have my MOT booked in for Saturday. Brilliant.

Thanks for reading my diary and hopefully with this information, be able to decipher my car woes.

Edited by DarkStryder360

If you don't know anyone who can lend you a multimeter, mechanic, electrician etc, you should be able to buy one from a DIY store or Halfords.

Get a jump start and check the power output accross the battery terminals, should be about 14v if the alternator is working. MIne was only showing 8-9v.

Screwfix do a multi meter for a fiver and that will tell you straight away whether your alternator is on its way out -

Btw I am only in Colchester I have a Multimeter but my car isn't moving anywhere at the moment as I have a nice brake issue that I am dealing with tomorrow.

Don't bother with Halfrauds they will tell you its a battery even if you brought one from them the day before.

If you don't know anyone who can lend you a multimeter, mechanic, electrician etc, you should be able to buy one from a DIY store or Halfords.

Get a jump start and check the power output accross the battery terminals, should be about 14v if the alternator is working. MIne was only showing 8-9v.

Ah good call on Halfords. Will see if there is one near although I can imagine them being expensive in there :(

So just on the terminal itself? I don't have to connect the Multimeter to the alternator?

Your thread on your GTi woes was the most informative and helpful btw.

Screwfix do a multi meter for a fiver and that will tell you straight away whether your alternator is on its way out -

Btw I am only in Colchester I have a Multimeter but my car isn't moving anywhere at the moment as I have a nice brake issue that I am dealing with tomorrow.

Don't bother with Halfrauds they will tell you its a battery even if you brought one from them the day before.

Nice cheers I have checked Screwfix, seen one for £3, an analogue one. Would that be recommended, or go for a a more expensive digital one?

Damn man, Essex Lupos aren't doing well.

Yeh I remember asking Halfrauds about cutting out problems ages ago and they said, get a new Battery - good job theyre batteries are expensive so walked away. When in fact it was just the dirty throttle body.

Check your earthing strap! ;)

If I knew where that was I would haha.

I will see if I can get a multimeter ASAP to get this problem sorted! Damn car! Thanks for the messages.

Yes, just whack the multimeter across the battery terminals, any less than 13v and it's not enough to charge and run.

Earth straps will be between alterantor and engine block and engine block and chasis. Thick single black cable or maybe a braided strap.

Mine went in me on Tuesday, Iuckly I had one on my spare engine, have my original refurbed for £60.00. Sounds like the alternator as mine did exactly the same as yours. Are you going to change it yourself? It's pretty straight forward.

Yes, just whack the multimeter across the battery terminals, any less than 13v and it's not enough to charge and run. Earth straps will be between alterantor and engine block and engine block and chasis. Thick single black cable or maybe a braided strap.

Cheers that sounds simple enough!

Only thing I am having trouble with is finding a suitable Multimeter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-60792-Digital-Multimeter-Backlight/dp/tech-data/B0001K9XKW/ref=de_a_smtd

Got a Draper one here, and there are other cheaper ones on Screwfix

http://www.screwfix.com/p/266-digital-clamp-meter/13489

But don;t know what would be best?

Halfords had a £60 one for Automotive.

Mine went in me on Tuesday, Iuckly I had one on my spare engine, have my original refurbed for £60.00. Sounds like the alternator as mine did exactly the same as yours. Are you going to change it yourself? It's pretty straight forward.

Straight forward? I have been reading about having to drop the engine out?? Where did you get yours refurbed? Local place, or national?

I took the driver side engine mount off, it's tight but doable took about an hour from start to finish. Pm me and I'll send you my number if you want to talk it through. I had mine refurbed locally pick it up tomorrow.

You will need a hand with the tensioner belt as its a bit tricky

I took the driver side engine mount off, it's tight but doable took about an hour from start to finish. Pm me and I'll send you my number if you want to talk it through. I had mine refurbed locally pick it up tomorrow.

You will need a hand with the tensioner belt as its a bit tricky

That seems a lot of effort for a newbie ha :tongueout:

Either of those will be fine fella.

Your best bet is to get on the phone to the local breakers and get hold of an Alternator that way.

Have a look for Stevens VW Dismantlers I think they are based in / around chelmsford.

Ended up with this one.

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B0001K9XKW

Gotta figure out how to use it now? ha

Will check with those breakers, good heads up! :thumbsup:

Edited by DarkStryder360

Dunno if you've had the battery tested or have tested it yet, but i work for Halfords and your local store should have a Bosch battery tester that will tell you if its the battery at fault, its %effectivity and wether it is still servicable or not. as far as i'm aware its a free service :)

Assuming that you are still able to jump the car to get it there...

Ash

As it is, I won't be driving far on a jump start haha!

Checked the Battery and came out at 11.6. (girlfriends 02 Lupo 1.4s had 12.5 as a comparison)

Badgered the Girlfriend to help out, and managed to get the car jump started first time. Then it cut out when I took off the jump leads.

Annoyed, tried again, and then it wouldn't jump start - crapped my pantaloons thinking I blown the battery properly. But, just carried on trying.

Got the car jump started once more, and got the GF to sit and hover on the accelerator while I took off the leads, then just cut out as I took them off again.

Tried again and again, eventually started it up once more after many fails, and just as I went to drop the Multimeter leads on the terminal the car started beeping, and even GF pressing down full throttle it was stuttering and choking, so it died.

Tested the battery after all this, and was at 11.2.

Not a successful evening to say the least!

You need to measure the voltage at the battery with the engine running. It should be something like 13.5V to 14.5V if the alternator is charging. If it is lower than 12V it's still not necessarily the alternator that's faulty. You'll need to test the battery under load to confirm it is OK. If the battery checks out then look at the alternator circuit.

A faulty alternator won't stop you starting the engine IF the battery is OK. Have you charged the battery off the car?

It sounds to me like the alternator is not charging and you have drained the battery trying to start the engine. Get it charged or, even better, swap it for a known good battery (speak nicely to GF). Don't let the battery get flat to the point it won't crank the engine - its possible to buckle the plates and render it useless.

Edited by kabman

Yeah definitely need to do this while the car is running and radio on etc.

Are you about tomorrow afternoon as I am working round chelmsford and can probably stop by on the way back up to colchester - Will probably be from 3pm onwards. Got a pretty big set of equipment on the van (Although mostly for home electrics!) but it will do the job :)

Thanks for the messages. Haven't been able to do anything more with the car as I have been at work 8am and getting home 7 at night.

I did try and test the battery terminal with the engine running, but as mentioned, the car cut out before I ever got a chance. And after an hour we gave up lol. Didn't really think about buckling with the battery, will stop trying to crank the engine on.

How easy is it to swap over a battery? Have had mine in for at least 6 years and the GF's bottom bracket looks rusty...

Sorry JWB sadly dont get home till late weekdays. Got the car booked in with the garage 100 meters down the road in the train station car park, for next Thursday. But need to raise the coilies for them to be able to get it on t' ramp haha.

A lot of jump starting for the next couple days.

Have had mine in for at least 6 years and the GF's bottom bracket looks rusty...

Ooooooooooeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr

Thanks for the messages. Haven't been able to do anything more with the car as I have been at work 8am and getting home 7 at night.

I did try and test the battery terminal with the engine running, but as mentioned, the car cut out before I ever got a chance. And after an hour we gave up lol. Didn't really think about buckling with the battery, will stop trying to crank the engine on.

How easy is it to swap over a battery? Have had mine in for at least 6 years and the GF's bottom bracket looks rusty...

A lot of jump starting for the next couple days.

If you dont have access to a charger, it would be worth connecting the jumpleads with the GFs car running, and leaving it that way for say 15mins to charge your battery a bit before you start it to do your checks. It sounds as if the alternator is not charging the battery, and the battery has not got the charge in it to run the car. You could probably get enough charge in the battery to drive it to the garage like this.

If you do get it running on its own, and there isnt a respectable voltage showing across the meter, then it would be worth checking the earth cables from the battery through to the alternator.

Changing the battery is fairly simple, remove the terminals from the battery, undo the clamp and it should lift out. just remember to disconnect the negative first, and reconnect it last. this reduces the risk of shorting the battery with the spanner. also check you have the radio codes for any of the cars being disconnected...

HTH

Durb

Cheers for the tips there man. Completely didn't think about the radio codes - what's the issue with them?

Managed to get myself a charger off of my mother - aww ain't she lovely - and charged the blighting Battery overnight (was perplexed by the terminal on top for some reason lol).

Unplugged it this morning after 12 hours charge and wasn't so hopeful as the charger was ancient. Let it be till I got home from work tonight - ruddy cold mind with the snow! Plugged her in and *beam of light shines from Heaven* it works.

Although I know it isn't fixed, it was good to be able to have a stable running engine to check with the Multimeter so got some readings!

12.05 - Engine running.

11.80 - Lights on.

11.75 - Lights on, Full beam, fogs, interior light on.

No pulsating. Just a steady Voltage. Also the battery symbol still doesn't show when key is in ignition.

Thanks for possible diagnosis'.

• 4 weeks later...

Resolved this eventually by getting a new Alternator! Pricey mind. Just went to the local garage and got it fitted. Couldn't be bothered with attempting to do it myself! Anyway...

Now I haven't driven my car in a long time due to lack of MOT and weather etc, but just got in it today to put on some music while I tinker... Couple things:

...the battery light, with the key turned fully (before ignition) was flashing every couple seconds. It has stopped now but it was peculiar..

...also due to not driving I have forgotten what's meant to show on the dash when I start it up, as only my handbrake light is showing - isn't the battery light meant to show too...? Or is that wrong...

Edited by DarkStryder360