Engine Changed - Stiff Gearbox?!?

Hi Guys,

I have recently had a 1.4 16v polo engine fitted into my lupo, after the 1.4 16v lupo engine died. The lupo was sat for approx 3months while I sourced an engine. The engine has been fitted and she is now running sweet however my gearbox has gone stiff and Im finding it hard to select reverse....Has anyone else experienced this when changing an engine?!?

This is proper basic question but how do I change the gearbox oil (a pic or diagram would be great) and what oil should I use when replacing it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ollie

Changing the oil probably isn't the issue, it's probably the calibration of the cables.

If it was just stiff, I'd suggest the oil, since you're having reverse issues, I'm suggesting calibration.

If the gearbox and clutch weren't lined up then the box wouldn't have gone on, as it is the box will be on and the minute you engage the clutch it would line it up as it pulls it off the pressure plate.

Changing the oil probably isn't the issue, it's probably the calibration of the cables.

If it was just stiff, I'd suggest the oil, since you're having reverse issues, I'm suggesting calibration.

Sorry to sound stupid but is this something I can fix? Will it cause future problems?

It'll constantly be awkward to shift/find gear.

It is something you can do, there's probably a video for how to do it on the 085 boxes on youtube ?

Ok bud, cheers for your help I will look kn youtube. I know its not going to solve it but how do I go about changing the gearbox oil? Ive search on here and found nothing?

There's two holes.

one near the passenger side shaft (drain) and one on the front of the box.

You'll need some fluid, can't remember which one, sorry, however your local motor factors will have a book and a 17mm plug key.

It's an easy job. :)

Pete, not trying to sound condescending, just didn't want the kid to worry about that as it's not the issue.

There's two holes.

one near the passenger side shaft (drain) and one on the front of the box.

You'll need some fluid, can't remember which one, sorry, however your local motor factors will have a book and a 17mm plug key.

It's an easy job. :)

Pete, not trying to sound condescending, just didn't want the kid to worry about that as it's not the issue.

Cheers buddy thats spot on :)

Oh lool I forgot about that haha I don't know then

It means he can find his own video.

All this talk of stiff boxes, knobs, fluids and videos.

It's all going well downhill.

HAHA, Cheers for the info lads (although you both seem alittle too close ;) ), That was a great video shame Its not my box, but Im sure I'll find something on youtube.

cheers!!

Yup, but he's running an 085 box and you're running a derv thing, I can't remember the type.

pretty bad as I've got one too.

I know this for a GTi, but is it similar to the 1.4 16v engine?!?

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=56533&hl=gearbox&fromsearch=1