Mk4 Golf seats urgent assistance required! *SORTED*

Koop

Fitted a mk4 golf seat (fully folding) onto the lupo base (also fully folding) as per the guide on here (as best i could with the pics having been deleted lol), it's in but won't tilt forward & won't lock down

First the tilt...there's a bit sticking out from the right hand side just below half way down the pic - this is part of the golf seat back - which is catching on the big bit with the spring attached - part of the lupo base - you can see where it's got a bit bashed about a 3rd of the way from the top of the pic

IMAG0223.jpg

Next the failure to lock down...on the right hand side (as you're sitting in the car) it stops flush as you can see here...

IMAG0224.jpg

...but at the the other side there's still a gap as you can see here...

IMAG0227.jpg

..and here

IMAG0226.jpg

I've had the seat out again & can't even see how it's supposed to catch.

Really hope this all makes sense to someone.

I've oh so sensibly done this at work so i've now got to drive home on a dodgy seat, fail.

PLEASE HELP!

Ta :D

Edited by Koop

i dont see why you just didn't put the MK4 seats in after grinding down the bases? umm my drivers seat will not stay folded down because the metal catch to make it lock down got chewed up and snapped. if you not going to adjust the height then i would just do what i did and but some cable ties from b and q and cable tie it down. its worked for me

I'm seriously considering grinding the legs down on the golf bases tbh, easier said than done though cos I don't have an angle grinder handy!

Phil also did a howto that the pics still work on. Also, you should be able to find a local tool hire place will do an angle grinder for not much dolla per day.

Phil also did a howto that the pics still work on.

Which Phil? Don't s'pose you can find the link? I couldn't find it

Also, you should be able to find a local tool hire place will do an angle grinder for not much dolla per day.

This may be the way I'll have to go with it I think

You da man that's incredibly useful thanks a bunch! Love the careful grinding pics haha Turns out I've got a mate with a grinder so that'll be the way to go. Toidy.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd better update this in case it comes up on the search for anyone having similar issues - sorted this now, I was simply putting the seat back together in the wrong order - when I took the seats apart I undid the bolts then tilted the seat back to unhook the 2 catches that hook onto the base & foolishly assumed putting them back together would be the reverse of this. Turns out you need to put the bolts in with the seat back tilted forward a bit, then lift the release lever & push it back til it clicks together. Easy when you know how lol

I've now ground the recaros but I could still swap onto the Lupo bases now I know what I'm doing. Quite like the driving position the golf base gives though so might just leave em.

• 2 weeks later...

Grinding still wont be as good as welding the 4 extra bars the recaro seats have to the lupo seat frames and then simply transfer the seat foams ans covers. Its what i did after grinding the original bases and never looked back.

Not everyone's that handy though, some people don't have the tools either. Does everyone on this forum think that if they have tools etc so will the rest?

True, but you can also do what I've done in the past, take the print out from here explaining the procedure, give it to your local tame mechanic and ask him please can you do that for me, thank you, here's some money.