arosa 1 litre using ALOT of fuel :O help ?

hectashouse

hi everyone,

i got an arosa mk 1 1 litre petrol and its got 73,000 miles on the clock but its using alot of petrol which makes me think somethings wrong ?

out of approx £10 i get roughly 57 miles. is there something wrong or do these cars usually do that ? i haven't got a lead foot by the way ( i got a tracker due to the insurance being too high :( lol )

and the pipe which goes into the air box is spitting out white gunk and a little bit of oil anyone know how to fix it ?

thanks,

hecta :)

at the moment i've been getting under 300 litres a tank in my 1 litre, but thats using Shell V-Power, and i can't understand why? i took the plugs out a few hundred miles ago to just have a look and they were pretty black, even though it was serviced by myself when i bought it on 30k miles (Now on 33K)

Also, temp sensor? you mean the coolant expansion tank sensor in the bottle?

at the moment i've been getting under 300 litres a tank in my 1 litre, but thats using Shell V-Power, and i can't understand why? i took the plugs out a few hundred miles ago to just have a look and they were pretty black, even though it was serviced by myself when i bought it on 30k miles (Now on 33K)

Also, temp sensor? you mean the coolant expansion tank sensor in the bottle?

If they are black after 3k its over fuelling. The temp sensor is normally where the top rad hose leaves the engine block

how to i check weather the temp sensor is working?

You dont, you change the sensor. Make sure its a genuine one

Assuming it is that, it will solve your over fuelling instantly. Basically the temp sensor is knackered, and its telling the ECU its -50, so it pours in fuel like its going out of fashion

haha brilliant, hwo easy is it to change?

but, i went to VW today, and they seem to think my throttle body and various piping is crapped up to hell because of my plugs being carbon'd up, so im going to wack a bottle of carb cleaner through it tomorrow and see where that takes me,

also another think they think it could be is that me using v power, 99 octane may be too rich for the engine to cope, there for confusing the ecu and over fueling

also i need to check weather my oil separator isnt clogged up

im hoping the carb cleaner and going back to 97 octane excellium will sort it! i dont want a £500 big for new throttle body or £160 for new oil separator!

also another think they think it could be is that me using v power, 99 octane may be too rich for the engine to cope, there for confusing the ecu and over fueling

VW told you that? They actually said that to you?

Edited by Defcon5

99 octave burns cleaner, if anything it should help. When was the last time you serviced it? You won't need to replace the throttle body with a new one. You can clean it out with good old carb cleaner. Clean the egr valve if your car has one at the same time. (This advice is a bit rich coming from me as I still need to do it Haha, been saying I'm going to for about 3 months Haha.)

i serviced it myself at 30500k when i bought it, new plugs, filters, coolant, break fluid, the lot,

i stripped the throttle body down and cleaned it, and in intake manifold, it was nice and kaked up with crap! the pipes and PCV valve were oiled up to hell so im hoping thats problem half solved, i also took it for a good belting after soaking the throttle bosy and manifold in carb cleaner and it was like driving a new car! had abit more power!

apparently its a common things for these to kack up, the only other thing i was told it could be is the oil separator is gunged up and needs replacing but we will be

with the shell v power 99 octane thing, this is what i thought, but in my experience, v power i always use more with it than any other premium fuel, just with it burning slightly more with it being higher octane

Get it serviced! specially before the weather turns properly awful! otherwise it will be un serviced until spring unless you want to freeze! haha