Alloy Painting?

FunkyNutbar

I'm new to cars, just got my first and made the stellar choice of getting a Lupo. I'm looking to make a few changes to it but I'm on a budget. It's 11 years old and has a few scratches so I have no misconceptions about getting it up to the gleaming standard that some of you guys and gals have, but I fancy firing on some new wheels.

I'm currently rolling about on the standard 13" alloys and they're a little tatty round the edges. I kinda fancy some dark grey or black rims, how horrific would it look if I got some second hand standard alloys for cheap then sprayed them? Minging?

Thoughts?

Secondhand alloys are fine as long as they are not buckled.

I have bought a number in the past and refurbed them, but the secret to a good finish it prep.

Sanding the the alloys back to get a smooth/key surface and filling in dents etc as you go.....once the key surfance is ready then, primer x2 coats, main paint x3 coats and lacquer x3 or 4 coats with a good 15 to 20 min between every coat and about an hour between main paint colour and lacquer.

Thanks for all the help, the Bathurst and Lupo sport ones look great.. I just need to find some within my price range. I'll keep an eye out on the forums.

Colour wise I think you've all made a good point, gun metal or anthracite will look far better. Mike, those 15" Momo ones looked the business! I might give painting a shot, buy some cheap ones so I don't cry too much when I wreck them!

just a point. . . am i right in saying you need an etch primer if spraying alloys ? regular primer isnt quiet up to the job ?

Etch primer is used for bare alloy..........if sanding back the original paint/finish and dont take it back to bare alloy, then normal primer can be used.

If you have a lot of kerbing and need to file it back as filling will not help, then use etch primer on the exposed areas, then a coat later on of normal primer over the whole wheel.

It is very time consuming as the prep takes ages to get right and then painting needs to be in a dry, warm, wind free place.........and then having an on/off approach with spraying helpsa a lot to avoid paint runs.

I would not paint the wheels if it is too cold as you then have to wait longer between coats of paint and also the final lacquer can cloud when dried due to the temperature.

I'm new to cars, just got my first and made the stellar choice of getting a Lupo. I'm looking to make a few changes to it but I'm on a budget. It's 11 years old and has a few scratches so I have no misconceptions about getting it up to the gleaming standard that some of you guys and gals have, but I fancy firing on some new wheels.

I'm currently rolling about on the standard 13" alloys and they're a little tatty round the edges. I kinda fancy some dark grey or black rims, how horrific would it look if I got some second hand standard alloys for cheap then sprayed them? Minging?

Thoughts?

mate, i sprayed the rims on my old A4 wheels + the 18's i had for it, the 17" rims on my A2 and they came up fine, i used cheap plasticoat spray paint from B&Q. Just remember, if it feels rough to the tough or if you can feel a difference in surface then you will see a difference when you paint it. Also many thin coats are better than one thick coat. I know Jamiea7x uses graffiti paint for his wheels and it seems to last a bit better

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the help, the Bathurst and Lupo sport ones look great.. I just need to find some within my price range. I'll keep an eye out on the forums.

Colour wise I think you've all made a good point, gun metal or anthracite will look far better. Mike, those 15" Momo ones looked the business! I might give painting a shot, buy some cheap ones so I don't cry too much when I wreck them!

I have some Loop sport alloys with good tyres. How much you offering ?