ITB conversion for GTI

tttttada

Hi John,

There seems to be opposing answers to this, someone mentioned that the Lupo's gearbox won't bolt onto the ARC's.

It would be much easier for me to use this ARC block, as I could build it on a engine hanger, and simply swap with the AVY when it is completed.

Tada

Ahh yes you are right there. The lupo gearbox will only fir the lupo AVY engine iirc.

I was on about engine internals and pathways, where im pretty sure they are the same between ARC and AVY.

John

Server was down for a few days???

In that case, I guess I will have to find a salvaged AVY block somewhere....

I cannot part with the 6-speed gearbox, the shift feel and gear ratio is perfect.

A little update on my readers ride thread.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44255&st=160&gopid=939946entry939946

Edited by tttttada

:rolleyes: getting there, hope my info in all the pm's helped.

Yes, they certainly helped. Never would have had the confidence to move forward with this project without your PM's.

Once again, thank you!! :)

good so whats the plan now then?

love the green shade

Plan is pretty much the same.

Ported/polished AFH head

Jenvey DCOE 118mm throttle bodies with 40mm horns

Gruppe H cam kit

Kam Racing vernier pulleys

WPC treatment on tappets

AVY block, slightly bored

JE pistons (slightly wider to bore cylinders, and slightly taller for higher compression ratio)

Conrods and bolts

Everything balanced

WPC treatment on conrod bearings and cylinders

Motec management

This is going to be a long project I think..... at least a year.

I have to go find a AVY block somewhere.

You might find the gearing of your standard box will be too long for your new engine. You'll probably have peak power at around 8200rpm and find yourself revving to 9k. You're going to be geared for about 180mph.

I'm not sure if there are any shorter CWP's available anywhere for the GTI box though.

There are dog boxes and sequentials available from Germany in the 085 bellhousing pattern, which is Polo GTI fitment. You also occasionally see Gemini sequentials for sale on racecarsdirect. Again 085 fitment.

Server was down for a few days???

In that case, I guess I will have to find a salvaged AVY block somewhere....

I cannot part with the 6-speed gearbox, the shift feel and gear ratio is perfect.

A little update on my readers ride thread.

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44255&st=160&gopid=939946entry939946

Back from vacation, and I must say, this thread is full of win with Dogwood chiming in :lol:

You might find the gearing of your standard box will be too long for your new engine. You'll probably have peak power at around 8200rpm and find yourself revving to 9k. You're going to be geared for about 180mph.

I'm not sure if there are any shorter CWP's available anywhere for the GTI box though.

There are dog boxes and sequentials available from Germany in the 085 bellhousing pattern, which is Polo GTI fitment. You also occasionally see Gemini sequentials for sale on racecarsdirect. Again 085 fitment.

Thanks for your input :D I have been closely following your thread on clubgti. Your car is a work of art and an inspiration to many.

Now, about the gearing.... that is certainly a concern. But I am not sure about opting for sequentials or dog boxes just yet, as this is not a dedicated track/race car. I'd like to drive around town once in a while, which is almost impossible to do with the aforementioned gearboxes.

Will definitely keep this in mind though, and I may go that route if the gearing is unbearable on the track.

Thanks again.

Tada