Bald tyres

Watching Road Wars, some matey got pulled for his tyres so I went and checked mine. 3 are fine but 1 is very very poor, I would say illegal. I have a legal tyre of the right size to go on but need to take it down to the tyre people to get it put on - I will need to drive down tomorrow morning, where does this leave me in the eyes of the law? Am I okay as I'm on the way to getting it fixed or should it be done before the car is driven again? I know I need to keep on top of it and I know it's dangerous. I don't have an excuse. I could just do with the advice..

Thanks in advance, Jake.

Illegal. Put your spare on and transport the wheel and tyre to the garage safely.

You may think it's only 2 miles and you've got a new tyre in the boot, but when that child runs out in the road...

They won't have a problem with it if your going to get it done at that point. It's just like the MOT if your on route to getting it done then they usually let you off and make you prove within 14 days that you have had it done. I'll double check with my dad as he is a retired traffic cop.

Yeah sorted now. :) turns out it was cheaper to get one tyre fixed on my tarantulas and add it as a modification on my insurance than get one new tyre fitted! The tarantulas have around 6-7mm tread each anyway.:)

Thanks for your help.:)

Tarantula's are early Porsche 924 alloys :P

924rim002.jpg

The one's you speak of are mk1 GTI 9 spokes :lol:

Edited by Jowey

I had "MK1 GTI 9 spokes" aka "creased 9 spokes" and wrongly known, but commonly referred to, as Tarantulas.

:rolleyes:

...and Jowey, I was going to post that image with the same sentiment last night.

So how did Newnesie get involed? Interested :coffee:

...and feel free to keep misnaming them, 'cause it's been done for many years and everyone knows exactly what you are talking about. :)