New coolant temp sensor

Fuel treatment

Cleaned airfilter and throttle body

I sit at reasonable speed of 50/60mph and 80% a roads

All i have to replace is fuel filter and vw spark plugs

No engine lights

Will this improve it or anymore ideas?

Cheers

I'm having same problem at mo with my gti, I now get 140/150 miles from brim to light. Not that long since last full service, Has developed a slight misfire so to have changed coolant temp sensor, plugs, leads (which were quite nakered) and coilpack is on the way which I'm hoping will cure it. Will let you know if I have any luck with mine.

Patrick

220 is definately average for a gti judging from response to my mpg thread your friends just lucky I guess. I personally would be very happy if mine would treat me to 220 miles every so often. Keep me posted if you do find some economy saving magic.

Thanks

Patrick

What petrol are you using?

I personally reccommend Sainsbury's Super Unleaded to be honest. Might sound like a 'cheapo' fuel but as far as I know it is actually produced by BP and I get a pretty decent fuel return.

Since ive got it over 2k ive always used either tesco's momentum 99 octane or shell vpower at 98ron

I dont think the changing of the spark plugs will find me that extra 5-10mpg i seek

Going to get vcds lite and have a scan, could be a map sensor lambda probe maybe

How is your tracking? If that's out then it will hinder your fuel consumption.

Although in saying that, mine was out for ages and I still averaged over 40mpg so I doubt that will be the answer.

You should be getting around 40mpg, I don't understand why your current MPG figure is so small. It's nearly as bad as the 3.2 Quattro TT for crying out loud!

Does it still smell as though it's running rich at all?

WIll be interested to hear what VAG-COM 'says'.

A good running GTI averages 60miles to a quater of a tank.

I get this all the time regardless of how I drive her, so a total of 220 to 240 before I fill up and it has just turned 71k miles

Make sure your fuel and spark plugs are changed every 2 years, air filter every year, and leads with coil pack usually start to die from 5 years

Tyre pressures help a lot with fuel economy and they should be checked weekly and not carrying a lot of crap in the boot like heavy subs/amps etc :)

I think you've done your Maths wrong Jase, I'm with Mike, I get 60-70 miles per quarter. I can get about 80 if I drive at 50mph on the motorway with no/very little braking.

Can I suggest that you sign up to spritmonitor.de/en/ or something and start inputting the numbers every time you fill up, then you get a more accurate idea of how many MPG you're getting?

Edited by NOCK

these are my 3 fuel ups through fuelly

28/01/11 242.0 miles 7.661 gallons £5.11 price per gallon 31.6mpg

25/01/11 220.0 miles 7.661 gallons £5.11 price per gallon 28.7mpg

08/01/11 235.0 miles 7.661 gallons £4.73 price per gallon 30.7mpg

am i missing something?

Have you definitely been putting in 7.661 gallons (seems like avery accurate number, and doesn't equate to a whole number of litres).

7.661 gallons is 34.8276099 litres which I doubt you can fit in your fuel tank.

Next time you fill up, log how many miles are on your trip meter and how many litres you've put in, I think you might find that you are putting in quite a bit less than 34.8 litres.

I may be wrong though.

those fill ups were based on me putting in 29 litres!

thats all i can fit in it... thats using the expansion tank...

i fill up when the red light first comes on so id guess theres 5-6 litres still in there?

?

and to 29 litres im getting 220-240 miles

those fill ups were based on me putting in 29 litres!

thats all i can fit in it... thats using the expansion tank...

i fill up when the red light first comes on so id guess theres 5-6 litres still in there?

?

and to 29 litres im getting 220-240 miles

Argh well there's your problem then.

29 litres = 6.737910556 Imperial gallons.

242 miles on 6.7379... gallons = 35.916... MPG.

Not as bad as you thought. Could be better, but I think you need to monitor over it a longer period of time than just three fill ups to be able to tell.

Or just stop being so heavy footed ;)

P.S. red light? I thought it was yellow? I've never seen a red one? :(

Edited by NOCK