Abarth 500....

rh203

Are you delirious?

blink.gif

Have you seen the standard power of them? Claire's mum has the Abarth Esse esse (170bhp), it goes like stink and has bags of torque for such a little car!

As for the tuneability have you seen the special edition Ferrari one, 200bhp+ out of a 1.4 turbo which doesn't have completely stupid service intervals.

thats one quik little motor for a 1.4 lump as my old astra turbo was 200bhp standard on a 2.0 B) before it was modded to 300 :lol:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 500 is obviously based on a fiat, but from what I understand it's not even branded as a FIAT 500 Abarth....it's an ABARTH 500. Weather this is irrelevant I (I would guess so) but from reading reviews and info on the web, it seems as if the majority of the car uses different components and/or setups to a standard 500. I know Abarth is probably owned by Fiat but how closely controlled it is, I don't know...

Not heard anyone complaining about reliability on them as yet but it's early..

Okay then. Seeing as you think so, it must be a fact.

Everybody with a Gti thinks so, the suspension feels like its made of jelly.

£400 + :o:lol: - you're 'avin' a giraffe surely? That's peanuts.

What's bad about a Fiat? They're **** basically. NEVER trust Italian engineering - my Ferroli boiler's giving me enough grief as it is without considering one of their motors. The only other piece of Italian equipment I have bought, an Indesit washing machine, was a disaster as well.

Its not peanuts at the age of 18.

French/italian cars arnt as bad as what people make out and German cars arnt quite as good as what people make out.

Everybody with a Gti thinks so, the suspension feels like its made of jelly.

Incorrect, as I have one and don't think this at all.

French/italian cars arnt as bad as what people make out

Incorrect again.

Not having a good day so far are you? :lol::coffee:

OMG take your 'my Gti is the greatest car in the world blinkers' off

Ive owned two fiats and two VW's.... the vw's have cost me far more in repairs and maintenance. and im pretty sure there are plenty of people that will back me up on my above claims.

and theres no doubt that I loved my Lupo Gti, but would I change it for my panda? might sound mad, but no I wouldnt.

OMG take your 'my Gti is the greatest car in the world blinkers' off

At no point have I said that. I know that I don't drive the worlds greatest car. However I do know that it's a boat load better than a Fiat.

Ive owned two fiats and two VW's.... the vw's have cost me far more in repairs and maintenance. and im pretty sure there are plenty of people that will back me up on my above claims.

Okay, so you've been extremely lucky with your Fiats and extremely unlucky with your VW's? Have you taken the ages of these cars into consideration? As I know your GTi was a 2001 model(from your username) and your panda is what...2007?

I would rather have a 15 year old VW than a 15 year old Fiat, wouldn't you? Why? Because one will last A LOT longer than the other and you know it. How many Fiat Uno's do you see around nowadays?

and theres no doubt that I loved my Lupo Gti, but would I change it for my panda? might sound mad, but no I wouldnt.

Personal preference, and in my personal preference, I'd rather have a VW than a Fiat, just like most people that are into their cars.

I said that I didn't want a Fiat debate, because it will only upset people. But please stop harping on that Fiat is better than VW, because it makes you look stupid-especially on a VW forum!

nock stop being an irritating badge snob!

Stop being a small-minded idiot. You're posting on a VW-based forum. If you want to harp on about your Fiat, then go here instead.

Edited by NOCK

i am going to say whats what here, vw have more issues now with minor failures, little things like the use of a gearbox designed in the 70's still being used in the 2000's and the components that break along the way that are associated with said gearbox, electrical glitches, poor positioning of ecu's under windscreens, wiper motor failures the common failure lists go on and on.

everyone knew how to look after the family ford's, and austin mg's, all the foreign stuff was an unknown back then so when they did goi wrong they got bad press.....fiats from back in the 70's/ 80's saw the 127 sport, 131 mirafiori, strada arbarth, uno turbo none of these had any major mechanical issues , the main downfall was rust they were ill prepared for our climate, the uno turbo was the start of the mechanical glitches gearboxes were the norm, then came all the dross crap designs ,stilo,bravo,that ugly people carrier thing and guess what they all rusted badly , but then again how many mk3 golfs are there about without a **** load of rust issues , anyway i do think they may of turned a corner in the supermini class, the panda 100 looks cracking a local one is slammed on minilights with stretch, and handles like on rails, all the 500's i see esp the arbarth's look well cool.

when i have been unfortunate and ended up in a recovery truck i always ask the driver what make of car he seem's to have to rescue most, and the usual answer is renault's with electrical issues.

and shock horror vw's and audi's were mentioned for some sort of mech failure, everyone will have issues with a car no matter what make

because we are into vw's we gloss over all of our's and laugh at the other enthusiast's of other makes.

i would not dismiss a fiat at all.

Edited by Picola

Who ever said about badge snobbery, its not part of fiat. You cant go to a fiat dealer and buy a 500 abarth. Abarth are completley seperate.

They are extremly fun little cars, ive been out in a 240bhp one. Plenty of tuning parts available for them.

They look awesome! The seats if you get the optional extra sabelt seats are sexy as!

Give me one over a Lupo anyday.

Slightly biased seeing as you own a Punto?

The funny thing is that I actually said on page 1 that I liked the Abarth 500.

Edited by NOCK

At no point have I said that. I know that I don't drive the worlds greatest car. However I do know that it's a boat load better than a Fiat.

yeh of course its boat loads better than A fiat. . . say maybe a Multipla or a uno. Better than a 500 abarth? i dont think so kid.

Okay, so you've been extremely lucky with your Fiats and extremely unlucky with your VW's? Have you taken the ages of these cars into consideration? As I know your GTi was a 2001 model(from your username) and your panda is what...2007?

but if they are so bullet proof then why would age matter? my sporting cinq was a 96 P reg, and I floored it for over 20miles doin over a ton watchin the temp fly through the roof coz id boiled all the coolant. guess what, a bit more water init and it was right.

I would rather have a 15 year old VW than a 15 year old Fiat, wouldn't you? Why? Because one will last A LOT longer than the other and you know it. How many Fiat Uno's do you see around nowadays?

if you see old Vw's they tend to be the classics, and yeh they are still sh*t hot theres no doubt about that.

Personal preference, and in my personal preference, I'd rather have a VW than a Fiat, just like most people that are into their cars.

I said that I didn't want a Fiat debate, because it will only upset people. But please stop harping on that Fiat is better than VW, because it makes you look stupid-especially on a VW forum!

at no point have I said fiat are better than VW you moron!

Stop being a small-minded idiot. You're posting on a VW-based forum. If you want to harp on about your Fiat, then go here instead.

and the good thing about this forum, is that most people dont have VW blinkers on and will openly admit that VW's just arnt as good as what people make out.

Edited by 2001gti

and the good thing about this forum, is that most people dont have VW blinkers on and will openly admit that VW's just arnt as good as what people make out.

VW's have their problems. However Fiat 500's are hardly infallible

People need to stop comparing the Abarth 500 (especially the Esseesse) to a Fiat 500.

They are worlds apart in just about everything bar the shape. If you're ever lucky enough to drive one (or even see an Esseesse) you'll know what i mean. Some of the people that are losing their heads in this thread simply haven't got a clue.

It's comical, please continue. :coffee:

every car has its faults

First thing that I've agreed with you on in the whole thread so far.

Most problems theyve had are all under warranty, like top mounts and wheel bearings.

The one i went out in has had nothing but pure abuse, it was running 240bhp on the standard intercooler and it would be ragged from cold (granted that might be stupid) and then just knocked off instantly and left for a week, its never went wrong yet either.

Fiat/Abarth's warrantys are also top notch, they are probably the only company ive seen so far still replace things on warranty no matter how modified it is.

Fair enough, I really wouldn't expect things like top mounts and wheel bearings to die that quickly though, think that's pretty poor.

Nock, that hole you've dug yourself is getting bigger and bigger!

You're fighting a losing battle which everyone can see except you.

I'd suggest giving up

:)

I like holes, but thanks for looking out for me, it means a lot :lol:

People need to stop comparing the Abarth 500 (especially the Esseesse) to a Fiat 500.

They are worlds apart in just about everything bar the shape. If you're ever lucky enough to drive one (or even see an Esseesse) you'll know what i mean. Some of the people that are losing their heads in this thread simply haven't got a clue.

Okay how about we leave it at this:

Fiat 500 is a crappy, poorly designed Fiat

Abarth 500 is like a miniature, faultless, Ferrari?

Happy? :lol:

I will one day own a 500abarth, maybe not the essesse. I just think they are awesome.

Okay how about we leave it at this:Fiat 500 is a crappy, poorly designed FiatAbarth 500 is like a miniature, faultless, Ferrari?Happy? :lol:

Meh, close enough. I'll get back to you on the Ferrari comparison when my Stepdad gets his :)

I love you nock!!

Aww thanks, I think I'm going to cry ;)

No different from VW's having gearbox's fail after 10, 20k etc.

As said, most cars have their faults.

How common was that? To my knowledge, neither of my Lupo's have ever had a gearbox go wrong.

I will one day own a 500abarth, maybe not the essesse. I just think they are awesome.

When you have enough money to buy one and you start looking at other cars that you could buy in the same price range, you might think again. If it's what you want though, then good luck.

Meh, close enough. I'll get back to you on the Ferrari comparison when my Stepdad gets his :)

Which one's he getting?