Big Coilover problem!

Do you own an angle grinder ? Or know someone that does ? If you grind the nut off and reconstruct the top mount assembly you'll be fine I'm sure.

Seems scary but it honestly isn't too bad.

Once you've ground the nut off, take the shock to an iron monger's/ hardware shop / automotive accessory shop.

And tell them you want a new (nylon thread lock) nut that fits and then get a few washers that will fit over the thread but not over the little ridge just below the thread.

When u put it back together.

Bolt the shock to the beam at the bottom.

Then but on the washer, then the plastic shock cover then the lower side of the top mount.

raise the rear beam/ shock up so that the thread comes up through the top mount hole and becomes visible in the boot.

Then put the top half off the top mount onto the the threaded bit showing through in the boot.

Then the large topmount washer. Then the nut and tighten up.

Then with the car off the jack and on flat ground. Tighten the top nut up some more.

Check it agai in a few days.

HTH

Grinded nut off, got a new one and it threads fine but still no closer to solving the problem, although I have little knowledge on this subject I'm pretty sure I'm missing something, There's nothing on the underside of the car that is preventing the shock from freely coming through the chassis everytime I take it back down off the jack. This is doing my ****ing head in :(

I've just jacked it down for the second time.

On the underside I have two rubber bits (sorry idk what they're called) and a washer type thing. On the top side I have the gold plate, rubber bit and a nut obviously.

Even if the nut is done up as much as you like you could just freely push the shock upwards :confused: or in this case when I take it off the jack it just protrudes as in the first picture.

Sorry I can't give a better description.

Turns out I'm missing the circlip altogether!

Getting the lower mount welded tomorrow, problem solved I hope, thanks again everyone.

Got all of that jowey, there's just nothing there to hold the top rubber mount in place.

There's evidence that a circip was there.

eh? there should be circlip ,large washer like the one above rubber with sleeve in. this lot underside, then rubber large washer,nut inside

ps nice drawing on a virgin money letter

:lol: Even added some colour to it now.

-The long 'pipe' bit at the top sits inside the large black rubber bit. Creating the lower part of the top mount.

-That then sits a top the black plastic damper cover (which has a massive washer in the top)

-In turn sits on the circlip (I have a washer on mine)

-Which then finally sits on the little shoulder of the strut shaft where the thread ends and the actually

polished hardened shaft (:lol:) starts.

IMG00548-20110116-1802.jpg

Edited by Jowey

• 3 weeks later...

Yes me and Mitch both forgot about the bumstops in the drawings.

I have rock hard rubber stops on mine so dont run the foam one's.