Need an AudioGeek opinion

Decided (I hope), to get some coaxials.

I will listen to what people say in the future and agree vibe are horrible.

Choice of 4:

MTX

Focal

Rainbow

Alpine

I'm going for quality rather than loud now. But I don't want them to give up on me when I want some kick.

Opinions please!

Edited by 1.0E Ben

Yes mine distort at high volume - rears more than fronts, but as the newest GTI is now coming up for 6 years old, there is a good chance that any standard speakers have degenerated and will distort.

Then that's got me wondering, is it really worth the £95, seeing as std's only distort at very near max vol.

"New Volkswagen VW Blaupunkt Speaker kit, Door front, dash panel, 60/80 Watt For installation in front doors / dash panel. Upgrade. 2-way component speaker kit. - Load rating: 60/80 watts. - Frequency response: 30 - 20 000 Hz. - Complete with two tweeter/woofer speakers."

:confused:

Sorry to deafen you ray! :lol:

Edited by 1.0E Ben

Then that's got me wondering, is it really worth the £95, seeing as std's only distort at very near max vol.

After living with standard speakers for nearly 4 years before buying the GTi I would say that the only reason the sound system is better in the GTi is because there are twice as many speakers. You'd be better off installing the GTi speakers into the rear door cards and keeping your standard ones in the front doors I reckon. The GTi speakers are a little bit better sound quality wise than the standard ones but I wouldn't say that they are much, if any, louder.

Not purely after loud, I want quality...

And to give it the odd blast now and then without the speakers having a fit :lol:

S'pose your right ray.

Wait... what am I saying, your always right Ray <_<

Edited by 1.0E Ben

Have you got an aftermarket headunit?

Its not just the speakers, its the amp as well. If you want a decent sound you will need to power the speakers from a seperate amp.

I personally wouldnt spend 95 on gti speakers...get a decent set of aftermarket componants for that.

Basically if you want a good sound you will need: new HU, amp, speakers, sound deadening, good wiring and the speakers need to be mounted well on the door.

Yeah, kenwood hu is putting out 4x50w.

I know but I HATE god damn fecking wiring so much it makes me want to cry.

I'm just going with the plug and play option unless someone wants to be paid to set up my system properly and not craply like I did :lol:

I bought alpine type r 16.5cm two ways, cost me 95 a pair, just the fronts sound really really clear, loud and warm and i am a headphone geek so know what some songs should like. They're only coming off my Alpine HU, if they were amped theyd be amazing! A little more money, but tbh, blaupunkt aren't reknowned for amazing speakers. You could spend the extra, get some alpines, RFs, focals etc :)

Don't know why 5.25 came into my head, my vibes are 6.5 aswell...

Need to lay of the sheesh.

Just going to buy some gti speakers and dynamat the f out of them.

Don't know why 5.25 came into my head, my vibes are 6.5 aswell...

Need to lay of the sheesh.

Just going to buy some gti speakers and dynamat the f out of them.

Fair play, im not the boss of you :P but...... for 95 you could get 4 speakers that granted wouldnt be the best, but A.) would be better than vibe and B.) better than stock speakers :)

Dynamat is awesome but IMO, spending the dosh on it for stock speaks would be like putting michelins on a g whizz :shades:

Scrap the GTI speakers.. get some aftermarket speakers for the same price and use the original wires!

If you only want speakers and not the best sound, then no need for an amp. If you have a aftermarket headunit it probably has a built in amp for slightly better sound quality.

So am I right in thinking...

Seeing as my headunit is 4x50w

If i bought these: Linky

And ran them off the headunit, seeing as they're 60w rms, I'd only be loosing 10w's per speaker?

Or is the point in amping more down to quality?

Hate technology.

Your headunit isn't 4x50W, it's probably more like 4x18W. Look up the difference between Watts RMS (the true power of an amplifier) and Watts MAX (what headunit manufacturers like to quote to make their equipment look more powerful).

The standard speakers aren't that bad if you give them plenty of power with a signal from a decent source. It is quite possible that it's the output from your headunit that is distorting. The speakers convert whatever signal they receive into sound so if you give them a distorted signal they they will give a distorted sound. The reason the output from the headunit distorts is because the in built amp is not up to the job. Hence the use of an external amplifier.

Or you could take the easy solution: turn it down a little bit!