Swapping my Lupo for an Audi A3

Tomjw

Hey guys. Ive had an offer to swap my Lupo for an Audi A3 1.8T Auto, 5 Door, 2001, smoothed bumper and coilovers, covered 67k. Would like some more info really, are the auto gearboxes reliable? is it a good car? how many mpg will i get? Cheers :)

I know with £100 his way thats it! Im going to check it out first and Im paying £60 a month at the moment, phoned my insurance company and they said it will be £100 a month instead fully comp which isnt bad! The only problem putting me off is the petrol!

Not gonna lie, but the 1.8t lumps are ****e if they havnt been maintained or have high mileage..

They are easily recoverable though! And problems are easy to find/rectify! I'd rather have a 150,000 mile 1.8T Audi engine than a 70,000 mile 1.4 16v VW Engine!

We ran an A3 Automatic at work for a period, it covered around 90,000miles without any major problems. But by 100,000miles it had started to make some disturbing noises. Bare in mind this was someones company car and they were quite badly treated. Nice car to drive though.

They are easily recoverable though! And problems are easy to find/rectify! I'd rather have a 150,000 mile 1.8T Audi engine than a 70,000 mile 1.4 16v VW Engine!

Expensive to rectify tho!

I do see your point tho, but I've been there with a 1.8t quattro A6. The extended warrenty was the best 200quid we've ever spent!!!!

Expensive to rectify tho!

I do see your point tho, but I've been there with a 1.8t quattro A6. The extended warrenty was the best 200quid we've ever spent!!!!

The audi A6 has a completely different engine though!

The 1.8T used in the Passat / A4 / A6 is a total bunch of poop stick! They were 'ultraturd' lol.

The versions used on the Golf / A3 (as long as it's not a f**king AGU) were absolutely great! Parts are cheep as chips! The only thing that's an expensive job is if the VVT goes! Which if you get one that's been serviced every 10,000 miles, not on the STUPID LONG LIFE thing! You probably won't have any problems!

First thing to do when buying any VAG 1.8T engine is have the Sump removed and cleaned out, a Magnetic sump plug fitted and a new oil Pickup Pipe / Strainer / Seal installed! That'll protect you from any expensive problems likely to happen!

The audi A6 has a completely different engine though!

The 1.8T used in the Passat / A4 / A6 is a total bunch of poop stick! They were 'ultraturd' lol.

The versions used on the Golf / A3 (as long as it's not a f**king AGU) were absolutely great! Parts are cheep as chips! The only thing that's an expensive job is if the VVT goes! Which if you get one that's been serviced every 10,000 miles, not on the STUPID LONG LIFE thing! You probably won't have any problems!

First thing to do when buying any VAG 1.8T engine is have the Sump removed and cleaned out, a Magnetic sump plug fitted and a new oil Pickup Pipe / Strainer / Seal installed! That'll protect you from any expensive problems likely to happen!

I stand corrected!

Yup, had that done to the A6. Lets say the pipes were full of ****.

Then the turbo went..

lol. The A6 is just too big a car for a 1.8 20v Turbo anyway lol.

My dad had the 1.8T a6 and other than it bein abit of a lump gettin off the line, mid range and motorway was sweet as a nut

Edited by 2001gti