My Lupo Gti

Dan Gti

Ive got a Lupo Gti (was once melonmans on here) and i want to fit an exhaust system to it.

What are all your views on what i should get?

Cheers

all very personal Bastuck is nice (see youtube)

Janspeed do a good system altho beware had to change the tailpipes on early systems due to warranty problems cos they kept melting the bumpers but look OEM (just a bit fatter)

That said i have i Scorpion oval as looks Euro which is what i like but it's mated to an ashley 4 into 1 manifold & Pipewerx 200 cell sports cat with a BMC & custom pipework looks & sounds the mutts it really does sound mean as my friend put it like a mini Airwolf on steroids, ran 140bhp on Awesome RR. 139.5 to be precise.

If money no object I would get a custom system made by Pipewerx.

Thats my two pence worth

Edited by leweylupo

you can have my raceland 4-2-1 manifold and decat in exchange for your standard exhaust plus a bit of cash my way if you want? pm if you want to talk about it.

Cheers Josh

Alrite bud.

Have you got any pics of it?

Cheers Dan

The Janspeed is a pretty decent system with a 50mm bore - not the lightest of systems but pretty sturdy. it is now only available with the 3" twin tailpipes

>Janspeed exhaust - Lupo GTi

The Scorpion is the cheapest option, and also has a 50mm bore. comes with a 155mm x 100mm oval tailpipe. not always as resilient as have had a few hangers come off these, but the majority of them are fine..

> Scorpion exhaust - Lupo GTi

The Kam Racing exhaust is a 57mm bore and comes with a choice of twin 3" or 6"x4" oval tailpipes. If you want a quieter system we can supply it with a centre silencer also. I have the centre silencer on mine and its not intrusive for pottering around but you still get a good noise when the revs go up.. As with all the products we develop the main focus is on build quality and performance and this does not disappoint. Its still fairly new and most have gone to the continent so there are not many on the UK roads but feedback has been all positive...

> Kam Racing exhaust - Lupo GTi

The Bastuck is the most expensive of the systems and has the largest bore at 63mm. its good quality system but not suitable for most GTi's due to the larger bore being geared for top end race use such as the Group A rally class where the power output is a lot higher

>Bastuck exhaust - Lupo GTi

personally I would not go for any custom system where they do not do much (if any) development as I know it is easier to loose power when creating an exhaust than it is to gain any. I have seen countless modified cars on rolling roads getting less than standard performance due to poorly designed custom exhausts.

Edited by Kam Racing

The Janspeed is a pretty decent system with a 50mm bore - not the lightest of systems but pretty sturdy. it is now only available with the 3" twin tailpipes

>Janspeed exhaust - Lupo GTi

The Scorpion is the cheapest option, and also has a 50mm bore. comes with a 155mm x 100mm oval tailpipe. not always as resilient as have had a few hangers come off these, but the majority of them are fine..

> Scorpion exhaust - Lupo GTi

The Kam Racing exhaust is a 57mm bore and comes with a choice of twin 3" or 6"x4" oval tailpipes. If you want a quieter system we can supply it with a centre silencer also. I have the centre silencer on mine and its not intrusive for pottering around but you still get a good noise when the revs go up.. As with all the products we develop the main focus is on build quality and performance and this does not disappoint. Its still fairly new and most have gone to the continent so there are not many on the UK roads but feedback has been all positive...

> Kam Racing exhaust - Lupo GTi

The Bastuck is the most expensive of the systems and has the largest bore at 63mm. its good quality system but not suitable for most GTi's due to the larger bore being geared for top end race use such as the Group A rally class where the power output is a lot higher

>Bastuck exhaust - Lupo GTi

personally I would not go for any custom system where they do not do much (if any) development as I know it is easier to loose power when creating an exhaust than it is to gain any. I have seen countless modified cars on rolling roads getting less than standard performance due to poorly designed custom exhausts.

Sweet man thanks. Im still unsure with which one to go with? So would you say the kamracing one? Dont know whether to go with single pipe or twin pipe either :S

Out of interest, what's the best bore size to go for then if your GTI engine is completely standard? 50mm or 57mm?

You won't know without back to back testing on a rolling road, isn't the std system 52mm or something? That won't loose you power, it's the silencer design that gains power.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a full Bastuck cat-back system fitted to my 2001 Lupo GTI and have had no probs whatsoever with it - now it's been fitted to the car for a couple of months, it's got an awesome deep burble. Had it rolling road-ed the day after fitting and I now have more low down torque in the rev range (around 3000rpm instead of 5000rpm) and 1bhp more in power.

Got any questions about the Bastuck system, give me a shout :shades:

Have you got any before and after graphs? Is it much louder than standard?

Hi jon_273, I do have but will need to scan them. The car basically now has 143.6bhp and 139.5lb/ft@3378rpm (has had a remap...).

I opted for the cat-back system, so not the straight-through tube that replaces the front silencer (without TUV approval) so it's not ridiculously loud, it's a different deeper tone when ticking over which is lovely. There's no droning at high speeds through the floorpan either.

That's a very impressive torque figure, fair bit higher than standard. I guess the remap made a noticeable difference then?

I didn't do things in a logical order... had the remap first which put power to 142bhp! So what the Bastuck system's done is sorted out my torque to a more useable level, rather than give me the 5bhp extra that they suggest.

I own a Lupo Gti, mines rocking the Janspeed stainless cat back. The bore size is more appropriate for the car so no torque is lost and the flow is increased. Its not a ridiculously loud system but when it gets hot after a bit of use it sounds lovely. Ive put a vid of mine on you tube but i couldnt rev the tits off it cus the neighbours would be pissed. The system is very good, looks lovely and keeps the original twin pipe style but polishes up lovely if you want shiny chrome pipes. Im pretty sure the bastuck isnt easily polishable or maybe thats just the vids on you tube. Anyway i think its the best choice. Oh and ive never had any melting problems from mine. Heres my vid......

Hope this helps mate

Cheers for the advise gents. Im looking at getting one this week still undecided! Want to sell my wheels to if you know anyone who wants them give me a shout. There 15x8 Schmidt Modernlines.

Cheers

Cheers for the advise gents. Im looking at getting one this week still undecided! Want to sell my wheels to if you know anyone who wants them give me a shout. There 15x8 Schmidt Modernlines.

Cheers

I have a full Bastuck cat-back system fitted to my 2001 Lupo GTI and have had no probs whatsoever with it - now it's been fitted to the car for a couple of months, it's got an awesome deep burble. Had it rolling road-ed the day after fitting and I now have more low down torque in the rev range (around 3000rpm instead of 5000rpm) and 1bhp more in power.

Got any questions about the Bastuck system, give me a shout :shades:

Thanks for offering son!

SOrry to ask but how much did it set you back?