Loss of power/ chugging uphill

Hi, ive had my lupo 2 week now and love it to bits, only problem is that the engine warning light is pretty indecisive, some days itll be on and some times off, but no noticeable difference

Took it to a garage to run ecu check and it was said to be a misfire

My problem is that my lupo has lost power going uphill twice, once in a multistory car park and once on a steep hill.

It seems to just drop power all of a sudden and the revs sound a bit 'gurgley' for lack of a better word. then struggles to get up hills, on both occasions i just parked up and turn the ignition off, let it sit for a couple of mins on flat ground, then started up again with no problem and no loss of power.

The car had been sat for a while before i bought it, a couple of months maybe with some petrol in the tank, on my first refill i used red-ex to clean out the crap left in the tank from old fuel, on the second refuel i didnt use it and the problem has happened again tonight, if it just a case of using red ex on every re fill for a few more times?

At first is thought it could have been cos there wasnt enough fuel in the tank to get down the pipes when the car was tilted on a steep hill, but tonight it happened on a 3/4 full tank so it can be that.

Any help advice would be appreciated, other than this the car has no other noticeable problems (and engine light wasnt on when bought) and has just been MOT'd at the start of sept

or could this be a more serious problem.

Where can i find the code for my car though? is it printed on the car somewhere?

If you open the bonnet there should be a sticker on either the plastic section near the bonnet catch or on the bulkhead towards the left hand-side. Failing those places, I have a feeling that it might also be printed on the paint code sticker that can be found stuck to the metal surrounding your spare wheel.

Edit: It may even be in your manual if you're REALLY lucky.

Edited by NOCK

If you open the bonnet there should be a sticker on either the plastic section near the bonnet catch or on the bulkhead towards the left hand-side. Failing those places, I have a feeling that it might also be printed on the paint code sticker that can be found stuck to the metal surrounding your spare wheel.

Edit: It may even be in your manual if you're REALLY lucky.

Alright cheers, ill go have a look later when i go to work and get them ordered when im at work :)

As VWlupo1 said, check yout HT leads and coil pack at the connections for corrosion and replace as necessary

I'd agree with this also. Lupo's eat coil packs like fatties eat chocolate.

Sparks, Leads and Coil pack would be my suggestion and tbh you might aswell get them all done at the same time, as all three are a common problem and all 3 can be done at the same time (you dont wanna do the sparks and it turns out to be the leads, just do them all)

Also i wouldnt touch Red-ex of anything like that with a ****ty stick, run some v power through it for a while to clean the engine, but stay away from that other ****

Sparks, Leads and Coil pack would be my suggestion and tbh you might aswell get them all done at the same time, as all three are a common problem and all 3 can be done at the same time (you dont wanna do the sparks and it turns out to be the leads, just do them all)

Also i wouldnt touch Red-ex of anything like that with a ****ty stick, run some v power through it for a while to clean the engine, but stay away from that other ****

Whys v power so much better than red-ex? theyre only system cleaners cant be worlds apart

Is it expensive to get all 3 jobs done at once? or is something i can do myself?

Thanks

Whys v power so much better than red-ex? theyre only system cleaners cant be worlds apart

Is it expensive to get all 3 jobs done at once? or is something i can do myself?

Thanks

You can definitely do the work yourself. They are really easy parts to change.

I get chugging sometimes if im in 4th gear going really slow then id floor it it feels like it pulls backwards before going forwards lmao :/

Thanks

Because V Power has had millions of pounds worth of research going into it with proven results, Red-Ex has had limited good reviews (other than whats on the bottle) and limited testing compared to what shell has done with its V-Power.

You're probably looking at about £30-£40 for leads, £15-£20 for spark plugs and then another £60-£80 from LupoBoz for a genuine VW coilpack. I fitted a non-genuine coilpack from gsf-carparts to my old lupo and had no issues whatsoever with it. I don't think that it was *that* much cheaper than LupoBoz will be though.

You're probably looking at about £30-£40 for leads, £15-£20 for spark plugs and then another £60-£80 from LupoBoz for a genuine VW coilpack. I fitted a non-genuine coilpack from gsf-carparts to my old lupo and had no issues whatsoever with it. I don't think that it was *that* much cheaper than LupoBoz will be though.

ouch, gna try get in on the 3 month warranty that came with the car, or at least the coilpack

Because V Power has had millions of pounds worth of research going into it with proven results, Red-Ex has had limited good reviews (other than whats on the bottle) and limited testing compared to what shell has done with its V-Power.

Fair enough then :P

Ill get some next time im shopping for bits and pieces

Vpower is a type of fuel. its not somethibg you pour in its a actual fuel. Its vpower unleaded. Just throw a few full tanks in. Its like 4p a litre more expenaive than normal fuel and back to back (whixh ive tested myself when i used to have the punto turbo) there was alot less carbon on the valves and the crown of the piston. This was done on on my engine after 3000miles intervals for a college project. Plus it has a higher ron rating which means it burns better. Which gives better peeformance (nothinf you will notice on a lupo/arosa though)

ah fair enough, the local jet station is dirt cheap compared to the shell station though.

Ive had the car checked and i replaced one of the coils and im doing the sparks plugs tomo, engine light has gone off but im gnna do sparks for good measure anyway because its still misfiring on one cylinder

then it should be all right :)

ah fair enough, the local jet station is dirt cheap compared to the shell station though.

Ive had the car checked and i replaced one of the coils and im doing the sparks plugs tomo, engine light has gone off but im gnna do sparks for good measure anyway because its still misfiring on one cylinder

then it should be all right :)

You replaced one of the coils? Do you mean you replaced a HT lead? As above, if the problem persists I have a spare Coil pack you can try. I live in whitwood

Jet fuel is crap IMO, there is one on the end of my street and the missus always uses it, really pisses me off.