TDi range/fuel economy

ellingtj

For you TDi owners what kind of range do you get out of a tank of diesel? We never go much into the red but anly get around 320miles with about `4-5liters` left in the tank. For a car that'sa supposed to have amazing mpg it's not really living up to it.

Tim

Lupo 1.4 TDi sport

Rolling road day 13th Feb

I have a petrol sport but . . . .

Doesn't sound too bad to me . . . . it may just be because your not filling the petrol tank all the way up - or it's just because the petrol tank is small (only 34 litres - of which 6 is the 'reserve').

I have been down to what I thought was the bottom of my petrol tank but could then only squeeze @ 30 litres in so I obviously had more petrol to play with.

I used to be able to get then from my lupo gti, 320 miles wouldn't be a problem driven gently. I get around 400 miles from my cupra tdi tank at about £32 a fill up. About 45mpg so you should be getting at least that form a lupo tdi unless it's only used for city driving and stop start stuff.

My Arosa TDI also does about 320 miles to the tank, that's not at all bad. I quite often check my MPG figures and am pleased to tell you that your Loopy is doing about `58-62` MPG. I get these MPG figures and I must confess I don't hang around, so can only assume that if I took my commute to work and back a little more sadately I would get even better MPG figures.

We diesel drivers don't know we're born; my Mondy ST220 costs me £62.00 to fill up, and only does half the MPG of my Arosa!

Mark :?

The best I ever got from my TDi was 360 miles but that was when it was new so was being driven with kid gloves and was mostly on dual carrigeways.

When I lived at home with the folks and driving 30 miles a day (15 on dual and 15 in heavy traffic) I was getting 310 now that it is only town driving I do (and the car is loosened up) I had to fill up last night at 260 miles and the light had just come on. Not what I had hoped when I bought the diesel I must admit, the 1.0 gave me 300 odd miles out of a tank.

My Loop does between 47.6 to 49.8 miles to gallon - not too stellar but I am one big ******* and I like to feel the power.

There's one bit of dual carriageway going uphill from a round about on my work route where everybody with any guts would test their cars power. That's where many drivers of seemingly fast but heavy cars geet nasty surprises biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I have to say though that when the light came on last night the tank only took 25 litres so I am guessing my light is coming on early.

Also, compare to the petrol guage the diesel doesn't sit at the full mark for long. It does 15 miles before moving off 'full' compared to the petrol that used to do sometimes 50! I guess its all in the calibration of the guage though.

My SDi gave 300 - 500 miles per tank! if driven like a pensioner on a Sunday drive.

My TDi gave 280 - 350 miles per tank.

My GTi gives 140 - 220 miles per tank, however I did manage close to 20 miles on a quarter tank recently during an evening of extremely angry driving. 5000 revs plus all the way.

Its down to a number of variables (without stating the obvious):

Roads, obviously driving on a motorway at a constant speed will give better consumption than town driving and sitting for hours in traffic.

Driving style (the turbo on the TDi can get addictive)

Weather, at the moment its freaking cold here so the engine never heats up to its full potential

Also, I am sure that whenever a car gets serviced the economy goes down a bit until after the first few hundred after an oil change.

my tdi gets about `320-350miles` for a full tank which costs £20 biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Why does it cost me £28 for a full tank ? :?

you're running till empty, paying more for your fuel, filling to the brim and using the expansion tank or all of the above. I fill a tank in my Cupra for £32 and that get's me 400+ miles though at 45mpg or so so £28 for a fill up in a lupo seems steep.

i run it till i get to the red line diesle costs me 80.9p a litre too smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> ive never filled it more then £24 till its fulll up and thats expensive stuff too 84.9 sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

i run it till i get to the red line diesle costs me 80.9p a litre too smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> ive never filled it more then £24 till its fulll up and thats expensive stuff too 84.9 sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Is that tractor diesel you are using?

Why does it cost me £28 for a full tank ?

even 34 litres at 80p a litre only costs £27

you must have a supersize tank!!!

talking of the 6litre reserve tank... i assume that means you have 6 litres left when the petrol light comes on???