engine change

kevin5288

If the engine is cheap enough though and the labour is free then i cant see the problem , it all depends on what his car is worth and the going rate of Sports , is it worth doing if its only a few hundred quid to upgrade to a new car , then there is the added insurance cost of a modified car with an engine transplant ( although some may just insure you as a sport) and the actual insurance costs of a sport?

Is it really worth it for an extra 25bhp? No disks on the rear, no centre exit exhaust...

I wouldn't bother putting a gti engine in my sport as I'd have no aluminium panels, gti interior etc

I just don't see much gain for the effort of doing it, unless you have plenty of free time :huh:

Is it really worth it for an extra 25bhp? No disks on the rear, no centre exit exhaust...

I wouldn't bother putting a gti engine in my sport as I'd have no aluminium panels, gti interior etc

I just don't see much gain for the effort of doing it, unless you have plenty of free time :huh:

How many non sport owners have spent money on exhausts , air filters,remaps etc et etc

There is a chance that decent air filter BMC for example is going to cost over 100, and exhaust 250 and the same if not more for a remap just to try and get 25bhp, so getting hold of a sport engine and spending a weekend banging it in is probably a cheaper way to find the bhp.

Then he could always go down the same route as above with mods to gain more power.

there seems to be a lot of people with opinions on here about engine conversions, but no one ever offers any help. He didnt ask what everyone thought about the idea, he wanted to know how easily the conversion would be.

I personally know barly anything about engine conversions, but i'm pretty sure the sport lump would drop straight in and you would be able to use your existing gear box.

I think that you would need all the loom and what ever else out the sport to make it run properly? its not just mechanical these days its all the electronics too

yeah if dont have the right ecu it wont run properly ive had similar problem with a gti on a 1.4 ecu after conversion just have to make sure all wiring is same then changed the ecu for right fuel etc.

[img] insert your Epic face palm's here

Edited by scotty_82

• 4 weeks later...

yeah if dont have the right ecu it wont run properly ive had similar problem with a gti on a 1.4 ecu after conversion just have to make sure all wiring is same then changed the ecu for right fuel etc.

or remapp the ecu

or use aftermarket

remapp ecu thought is pointless in a gti conversion

anyone here know if a polo gti engine can runn on lupo gti looms? heard roomers that lupo gti looms are funny in ways and the polo gti loom is easier for conversion done the conversion before and im sure the lupo would be easier due to the shape also anyone tryed sport looms gti ecu????

Depending on the type of driving you're doing, leaving the 1.4s gearbox in will probably work out better, your acceleration will be slower, but you'll cruise at lower revs too, handy if you're doing a lot of a-road/mway work.