Car died

Last night something caught on a speedbump underneathe the car then about 10 minutes later the car cut out at traffic lights.

All the electrics worked but the car wouldnt turn over!

Im guessing ive ran too low and ****ed something to do with the alternator wiring/earthing points?

Are these easy to fix by myself or not?

Any help is appreciated!

Have a good check underneath mate if you haven't done so already, if its gone with a biiiiiig bang then the lupo may have like an inertia switch as a safety feature which basically thinks that if you've had a big bang or possibly even rolled it, it cuts all fuel and igntion sources to stop the car blowing up essentially. With the igntion on can you hear your fuel pump running?? Thats usually a good indication, if it is then it may just be summat simple.

Its more likely to be a starter fault mate I'd say if its not cranking at all, check your battery voltage out tho. It seems abit weird for the battery to go flat so quick.

The car wouldn't cut out if your alternator had gone, it would just stop charging your battery.

And if all the electrics still work I'd suggest your battery is still okay.

Have you checked the wiring which goes round the bottom of the sump and runs close to the O/S drive shaft?

The car wouldn't cut out if your alternator had gone, it would just stop charging your battery.

Sorry Jamie, but wait 'til Claire's alternator goes and you may change your mind on that. My GTI started and ran for about 10mins before all hell broke loose with the electrics\dash lights and then the engine cut out.

I was convinced it was worse than the alternator 'cause I thought similar to yourself.

Her's has gone already Ray!

All that happened is the car wouldn't start, no dramatics at all.

Generally speaking the engine should continue to run on without the altenator, mind you judging by the way VW wired the Lupo anything could happen if you lose the altenator!!

The next day mine started from a battery with just enough jiuce to turn it over ran fine and then coughed and died 15min's later.

Although still expensive, I was happy when it was just the alternator.

The alternator belt still there?

A stray shoe broke mine into alot of little bits not too long ago and the car wasn't too chuffed with there being no charge going to the battery.

Easiest way to check if your belt is still in tact is that there will be no power steering as it is driven off the same belt.

But try jump start the car first with jump leads

Had a mechanic look at it today and he's told me its the crankshaft sensor which he's going to replace.

He said this might make a fault that will need clearing.

Can I clear a fault myself by disconnecting the battery or anything?

Cheers.

Cheers peeps :(

Im gonna start taing the front end to bits today so i can hopefully see some of the damage.

Then ill try and find a second hand engine to go in, surely its not that hard to do myself if i can get the right tools?

If you take the front off, an engine change to the same engine code is pretty easy tbh. Just unplug it all, disconnect exhaust, driveshafts and gear cables and it will come straight out of the front.

Hope you can find one soon!

John