A little dilemma

Huw Pugh

I ordered a carbon bonnet for the BM over 3 months ago. I have been very patient with the company but it still hasn't arrived. After various emails telling me it was on it's way I asked for the order to be cancelled and a refund issued at the end of June. I received no response so a couple of weeks later, I issued a charge back on the credit card I used to pay for the bonnet.

The following day however, I had an email from the supplier (not the company i bought through). Their english isn't great so im not sure exactly what they were saying, but i basically responded saying i hadn't had the bonnet. They replied saying they were speaking with the courier and would resolve the issue in 5 days - apparently the item has been in the UK for a long time. Since i had already issued the charge back, i didn't reply further.

I have come home today to find a missed delivery slip from City Link. I'm not expecting a parcel and after making some enquiries with City Link, it looks like the parcel is the bonnet. Great news, you might say, but I no longer want the bonnet as i'm looking to sell the car shortly.

Now, aside from the fact that City Link couldnt find my parcel earlier, I'm wondering what to do. Should I just not collect it and let it get returned to the sender or do you think this would jeopardise my chargeback with the credit card company?

How honest are you ?

personally if i was getting my money back i wouldnt collect it , youve already said your selling the car so wouldnt have any other use than to sell it on with the car or seperate.

Sorry, to clarify, I wasn't intending on collecting it and still claiming the charge back. If I went to collect it, i'd phone the CC company and get them to drop the charge back. My point was more that, would I be digging myself in hole if I don't go and collect it and keep the charge back? i can appreciate its a bit unfair on the company to have to have the goods returned, but i don't see why I should have to accept them when I told them to cancel the order over a month ago.

I dont think there is a problem here , youve kind of justified your own actions.

I would take it up with the courier depending on how long it's been hanging around there.....could it have been a month?

Well the City-Link tracker only shows the parcel in their system since yesterday. According to them, the sender was a spanish company, so I suspect it was only sent from Spain a couple of days ago and City Link have delivered it straight away.

I'd be leaving them return to sender, and getting my cash back on credit card. Youve asked to cancel it due to the wait, they've sent it although youve told them youre cancelling it. I wouldnt want to be stuck with a carbon bonnet and no BM to put it on!

He isnt breaking up with his girlfriend/boyfriend.

:lol:

Think i'd better tell the company i'll collect it and not go. I dont want them trying to redeliver and leaving it with a neighbour. Then I'm screwed. Thinking about it, i might even be able to return it to the sender... :coffee:

Edited by Huw Pugh

Huw - You should reject the delivery and allow it to be returned to the sender.

If you accept the item, your charge-back will be canceled. Rejecting the item will not cause any issues with regards to the chargeback.

I have to deal with this crap quite often as I seem to have a habit for being messed about by various companies.

Edited by nfbr

Huw - You should reject the delivery and allow it to be returned to the sender.

If you accept the item, your charge-back will be canceled. Rejecting the item will not cause any issues with regards to the chargeback.

I have to deal with this crap quite often as I seem to have a habit for being messed about by various companies.

Nice one, cheers Al. Seems to be an increasing occurance with me too. This is the 2nd charge back i've made this year. Never had to make one before this year.

Nice one, cheers Al. Seems to be an increasing occurance with me too. This is the 2nd charge back i've made this year. Never had to make one before this year.

I'm the same... Pre 2010 I'd had credit cards for 6 years... never ever made a charge back. This year, I've made about 7 so far! Customer service regardless of industry just seems to be going downhill...

I've bought about 12 things off eBay for my new house, out of those 12 things, only 4 were accurately described and I've ended up claiming back money on 8 of the items!

So many people willing to lie just to make a few extra quid :(