If you spend all Sunday 'detailing' your car...

IDGM

rub it thinner.... obviously you can only take some much of the top layer off so you cant always machine it.

not sure what you do if you cant machine it down a bit? presume just use fillers but i dont think that would last as long?

you can only work with the paint youve got, if its to thing to fully correct the damage then its tough tits, hel do as best as he can with what paint he can safely remove

he works out of his parenmts garage at home, they fully converted it for him to work out of

I see and fully understand those percentages.

But im sure there isnt going to be £6700 worth of difference.

If i had a Veyron then yes! I'd want to keep it in A1 condition, but i'd also not want to buy it and give it to a bloke for a month a few times a year because of a bit of rainwater either! I'd want to drive the bloody thing!

I bet it doenst get a 7-8k detail everytime it needs a wash , i think everyone is taking that as his normal price.

LOL But picola thats well earnt money that can go on shoes!

Whether my car cost £1,000 or £100,000,000 i'd still think £7k is a lot of money!

Hell, i could get a immaculately modified Lupo GTi for that...instead i get a clean and full month without my amazingly fast super car to drive it home and have some bird crap on it!

James, do you quite understand that, as Scotty said, a month long detail is not the norm? I imagine it would be something done to a standard of a car worthy of entering the Pebble Beach show, or once in a few years.

I also imagine to the owners of these million pound supercars that a 7k Lupo GTi is just another shopping trolley in the supermarket carpark. When you consider the servicing bills for those cars, 7k is probably not a lot of money!

It's a different world, haha.

when my dad bought his latest van for work he got some finance and where he got the finance from they had just had someone in there getting finance for their veyron! the insurance was either 15k or 30k a year, cant remember now...

It's a different world, haha.

Too right. My sister's ex has a Ferrari 612. He told me how much the timing belt service was... :sick::wtf:

The trouble with articles like this is that they miss quote the facts. It's not £7k for a car wash, that's probably the longest, most expensive job the guy has ever done.

Probably doesn't charge anything like that for an average wash or even an average detail with full paint correction. That's just the most expensive job he's done on a car that probably needed hours of correction work and the article has quoted that as 'The most expensive car wash', when it's far from just a car wash. This chap is no doubt very good but he's one of many very high end detailers.

Paul Dalton of Miracle Detail (www.miracledetail.co.uk) for example is in the same kind of league as the guy mentioned. If you look at the processes involved and the cost and type of products used you'll see why they cost so much. Admittedly you're paying top end hours rates but the products used are not cheap.

I had some detailing work done on my car and the wheel sealant used is about £100 for a small tub. Some of the waxes used are in the thousands on these top end details.

I know a lot of people will claim that a sponge and Fairy Liquid will give the same results but believe me they really won't. I'm not saying spend thousands on it but I've spend hundreds on detailing gear but would say that for £50 you'd make your car look a hundred times better than a sponge and bucket will.

• 3 weeks later...

Bloke i know uses his Focus RS as a demo car for Thorney Motorsport. Used to work with the guy that now owns Dodo Juice (IIRC). He said his paint is now 10x better than what it was when he collected it from the factory. I've asked him for hints and tips, but i have better things to do then polish my engine bay like people on here.