how to fit a head unit (56k beware - worth waiting tho)

nfbr

Firstly... Sorry admin i've posted this in two locations...

Here you see a standard vw head unit. Looks ok, sounds ok... but we dont want "OK" do we?

hu1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Step One

Using a set of release keys (i used some old kenwood ones pushed in at a downward angle) slot them into the holes either side of the head unit

hu2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Step Two

Stick a finger into the cassette flap, the unit should come out with a gentle tug, if not, try adjusting the position of your keys

hu3.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Step Three

Slide the unit out (watch the corners dont scrape your dashboard) and release the two plugs on the back of the unit

hu4.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Step Four

If your head unit has a trailing lead clip this into the VW ISO radio plugs you see below,

hu5.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Step Five

Try and tuck away as much of the wiring as possible now, this will help when you come to slide the head unit in to position.

hu6.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Step Six

Slip your ISO / Or trailing lead through the cage along with the aerial lead

and slide the cage into position. On most cages you'll need to bend a few tabs using a screwdriver, to secure the cage. (alpine kindly provide a self securing cage which makes the job a doddle)

hu8.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Step Seven

Connect the ISO / Trailing lead to the head unit, and connect the aerial lead, Now slide the unit into the cage, but before you slide it all the way in, turn it on and test everything is working ok.

hu9.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Step Eight

Once you know the unit is working properly, Slide it all the way in and you should hear it click into position

(Unfortunately my camera battery ran out so i cant show you a picture of what it looks like fully fitted. but you get the idea)

FAQ -

Question

Do VW use a different wiring method to usual ISO looms?

Answer

Yes, In order to get my head unit working i found i had to join the red and yellow wires together (making both circuits permanent live) to get the unit to work.

PM Me for a more detailed approch to doing this, or seek advice from your local Car Audio shop (not halfords cos they'll sell you an adaptor)

Question

My aerial doesnt fit to my head unit?

Answer

VW use the European Standard aerial plug, Many aftermarket head units dont use this type, To solve this problem you can buy an aerial adaptor (£4.29 @ Halfords) (£3 to £4 from local car audio shops) or you can PM me with your name and home address and i will mail you an aerial adaptor if you dont mind waiting a couple of days to get radio functions working properly (Dont worry i wont charge for these, providing you live in the Brittish Isles)

i nearly cried when i had to listen to the RADIO on the way home from VW lol.

that Justin morehouse put me off driving it lol.

Tomorrow = How to run your phono leads from your head unit to the boot biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> (if i've got new batteries for cam. lol)

i might just have to do a "HOW TO REPLACE YOUR REVERSE LIGHT SWITCH" since VW couldn't be ringed to check the car over properly before i picked it up.

As for the power lead i'll just make my own hole and slip a gromet in their.

just a note * FOR PEOPLE FITTING PIONEER!* what u need to do is look at the yellow and red wires , half way down it there is a connector on each , disconnect the yellow to yellow wire and the the same for the red to red , then reconect one half of the red to the other half of the yellow . this will make ur wires look like :

standard set up

back of head unit * ] yellow to yellow

****************]---------[]-----------------[ big block thing to wirin loom

****************]---------[]-----------------[

****************] red to red

****************]

changed to

back of head unit * ] yellow to red

****************]---------[]-----------------[ big block thing to wirin loom

****************]---------[]-----------------[

****************] red to yellow

****************]

the connectors are just a push fit so pull to separate then a push till u hear a light click and thats them back in place

wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />+-->

QUOTE(one litre wonder wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />)
just a note * FOR PEOPLE FITTING PIONEER!* what u need to do is look at the yellow and red wires , half way down it there is a connector on each , disconnect the yellow to yellow wire and the the same for the red to red , then reconect one half of the red to the other half of the yellow . this will make ur wires look like :

standard set up

the connectors are just a push fit so pull to separate then a push till u hear a light click and thats them back in place

i was gona say that biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> dont we need a amplified bit for the radio

The aerial adaptor is available at no cost to all club lupo members. (no this doesnt mean for anyone searching aerial adaptor on google can have one if they sign up) If your a member of Club Lupo PM me and i'll mail one to you through the post smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />+-->

QUOTE(one litre wonder wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />)
disconnect the yellow to yellow wire and the the same for the red to red , then reconect one half of the red to the other half of the yellow .

I tried this on mine n it dont work sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> the only way i could get it to work was wiring both red n yellow to permanent feed.

oh right cause ma pioneer h/u had push fit connectors on it so u could change them round , not unless they are the only company that do that , or that alpine dont do it

@ andy , pioneer are fitted the same way just that when u get it u will see what i mean about the red and yellow wires , just follow that simple guid and u cant go wrong mate

The aerial adaptor is available at no cost to all club lupo members. (no this doesnt mean for anyone searching aerial adaptor on google can have one if they sign up) If your a member of Club Lupo PM me and i'll mail one to you through the post smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Fair play! Good man. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Good thread!! I shall search for it when it comes time to replace my Dubby one with an aftermarket one. Cheers and happy listening smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

oh right cause ma pioneer h/u had push fit connectors on it so u could change them round , not unless they are the only company that do that , or that alpine dont do it

@ andy , pioneer are fitted the same way just that when u get it u will see what i mean about the red and yellow wires , just follow that simple guid and u cant go wrong mate

You can do this with the alpines, only it doesnt work in lupos older than 2002 (from experience) I know what you said is DEFINATELY right for all the lupos with Remote Central locking, but from experience the ones you have to stick the key in the door need a slightly different method. (how rare)

i'm not 100% sure but thats how i think it works.

Basically my way, You join the yellow wire going to the head unit to the red wire coming from the ISO block, but insted of doing the oposite with the red wire from the head unit, you leave it connected to the red wire.

I havent tried it your way with mine, but i tried it on a Y reg' one the other day and it didnt work. so i concluded by doing the above ^