Had an accident and insurance wont pay :(

J-Lupo

Okay so i was driving a lupo gti until a kid ran across the road infront of me causing me to swerve out the way and crash into a parked car, okay so the police turn up and the kid admits it but it still comes from my insurance... ridiculous imo but life goes on, so i tell the insurance and everything then i get a letter saying...

""On reviewing your file, it appears you have not disclosed the following motoring convition to us: -

IN10 - No Penalty Points, 7 day Disqualifiction on 29/02/2008""

I now have ten days to reply with an answer to which they decide whether to invalidate my insurance or not...

okay so let me explain why i didnt put it on there, the motoring convition was on my moped when i was 16, when i applied for the insurance online i tried putting this in and it said "conviction was before period license date" or something along those lines, basically saying it was before i had a full license, therefore i didnt think i had to put it on, i had insurance before for over a year, been pulled over checked and everything was fine, so i didnt realise it could go on...

Stupid i know and now being told by other people i should of rang up and told them i realise i should of,

this thread will probably get slated and get abuse, but was just wondering if anyone has had this before at all and would have any advice on a good answer, or whats going to happen if it is invalid :(

Cheers

Alex

Unfortunatly, its still a conviction on your license, provisional or not.

Ring them up and explain the situation, you may be lucky and get a nice person on the end of the phone that can understand the situation, but i wouldn't get your hopes up.

Sorry to hear that.

Bad news and you had better not get abuse on here as it is an example of how insurance companies are trying not to pay out.

You realise now that you should've called when the form wouldn't accept your details, but as already stated call them up and explain the situation with the online aplication, hopefully you'll at least get payout for the 3rd party.

Again as stated, get on pepipo and see if someone can assist.

Good luck to you; and all those out there with undeclared convictions or modifications; take heed.

It's failure to disclose material facts to the insurer.

You should have reviewed the printed proposal (that you either printed off or received in the post) and telephoned them to inform them irrespective of the internet proposal form not allowin entry of the conviction.

This all points back to comments I've made on other threads about insurers not Q-checking proposals until a claim is made. If the repair cost is low and you have full details of the kid and his admission, you might be treated sympathetically in one way or another. If the insurers decide to withdraw cover, you're going to have problems now, and in the future.

you had better not get abuse on here as it is an example of how insurance companies are trying not to pay out.

IN10 = Caught driving an uninsured vehicle...

How Ironic!

You may be lucky and pay the extra on your premium that what the ban would of cost you and then they pay out,

What they did with my mate when he didnt diclare points and he had a bump, Hope it goes well for you.

The fact that is an IN10 may not go down too well with an insurer either.

Too true.

IN10 = Caught driving an uninsured vehicle...

How Ironic!

Yep!

The guy is already being stung and he has already realised his error.

Thanks you Al for respecting this. I'm sure you'll find somewhere else to vent it! :)

Okay so i was driving a lupo gti until a kid ran across the road infront of me causing me to swerve out the way and crash into a parked car, okay so the police turn up and the kid admits it but it still comes from my insurance... ridiculous imo but life goes on, so i tell the insurance and everything then i get a letter saying...

Of course it does!

You crashed into a parked car... irrespective of the kid in the road you damaged someone else's property in your car. Therefore it is bound to come off of your insurance.

I do feel for you about your situation, but to be fair you didn't tell them something when you took out your policy so your policy is no longer correct.

The guy is already being stung and he has already realised his error.

Thanks you Al for respecting this. I'm sure you'll find somewhere else to vent it! :)

I thought it was my duty to inform people what an IN10 conviction code was before anybody started feeling sorry for the guy!

You may be lucky and pay the extra on your premium that what the ban would of cost you and then they pay out,

Do this. Explain the situation and ask them to tell you how much an accurate declaration would have cost on top. Suggest to them you want to pay it retrospectively (and maybe sweeten the deal by agreeing to a much larger excess so they have to pay out less) and they might be willing to sort it out.

And what company is it?

Worse case they will void your policy back to start date , you'll have to pay for the damage to your car and you could be prosecuted again for no insurance .

Of course it does!

You crashed into a parked car... irrespective of the kid in the road you damaged someone else's property in your car. Therefore it is bound to come off of your insurance.

I do feel for you about your situation, but to be fair you didn't tell them something when you took out your policy so your policy is no longer correct.

so i either run down a kid, or smash a parked car and pay loads of money? shouldnt be me paying out for someone elses mistakes.

I thought it was my duty to inform people what an IN10 conviction code was before anybody started feeling sorry for the guy!

i wasnt looking for sympathy or anyone feeling sorry for me, simply advice on what to do next

Do this. Explain the situation and ask them to tell you how much an accurate declaration would have cost on top. Suggest to them you want to pay it retrospectively (and maybe sweeten the deal by agreeing to a much larger excess so they have to pay out less) and they might be willing to sort it out.

And what company is it?

My excess is already ÂŁ1350, the car i crashed into was a Mercedes slk 55 amg, and may be a write off because it hit a fence infront of it too. :(

so i either run down a kid, or smash a parked car and pay loads of money? shouldnt be me paying out for someone elses mistakes.

It's not about paying for someone else's mistake, the kid doesn't have insurance for running into the street.

I work in insurance and am trying to point out to you how it is likely that it will be a fault claim on your part - if the kid ran out in front of your car and you slammed on, then the car behind you hit you in the rear then you would claim from their insurance - correct? This means, although the kid ran out in front of you and you swerved - best thing to do obviously rather than hit the kid - you have then hit the parked car, which was parked and therefore you damaged it, hence why your insurance would deal with it from your policy.

Regarding your IN10, it is a serious conviction, which some insurance companies will not insure, same as DR10's for drink driving and LC20's for driving not in accordance with your licence.

Problem is, your insurance will have a section in terms and conditions for non-disclosures, meaning they have every right not to deal with your claim and to not insure you.

I recommend writing to them, the company I work for won't deal over the phone with things like this, just explain everything to them, be honest and hope that they are in an understanding mood.

Good luck with it :) Hope this has helped, Sarah

irrelevant on anyone walking out on you , you screwed up by not declaring a no insurance charge anyway.

Clearly it's your mistake, you were the one driving the car!

You can't blame a pedestrian for you smashing into another car, you obviously weren't driving appropriately to the conditions.

You should consider yourself lucky the police didn't try to do you with careless driving or similar as well as your no insurance which they'll probably try to prosecute you for.

By the sounds of things you were driving through a built up area with a lot of parked cars.

Think back to your driving theory test, what did they say about driving in built up areas and the risk of pedestrians stepping out?

Even if he stepped out right in front of you and forced you to swerve you were still driving inappropriately for the road conditions as you were unable to regain control of your vehicle.

Hence why I say you should count yourself lucky you aren't being charged with careless driving.

see this is the abuse i was on about from idiots on this forum...

i was simply asking for advice about the insurance, not a lecture on what happened, but once again its the same people the have to have a dig...