fitting coilovers

dint think i wud need a spring compressor? thought the rear arm just swung down ?

You need them to get the top mounts off the old front struts, unless your brave.

Some people manage without, I was too scared. :lol:

Hmm, do you need 17 and 19mm sockets/spanners then? Been ages since I did my Lupo, might be getting mixed up.

The top mounts can be tricky, make sure you've got a suitable 21mm spanner/spark plug socket or whatever for that, as 99hjhm said. You need to be able to get the 7mm allen key through the centre to hold it still.

oh damn it dint think i needed a spring compressor, spoke to little rich earlyer and he said i wunt need 1?

you spoke to rich about fitting coilovers, well that was the first mistake you've made!

• 1 month later...

You need them to get the top mounts off the old front struts, unless your brave.

What does that mean? Unless your brave??? :blink:

Im looking to do the coilovers soon and would rather not have to fork out for a spring compressor! :)

Edited by DanGB

What does that mean? Unless your brave??? :blink:

Im looking to do the coilovers soon and would rather not have to fork out for a spring compressor! :)

It means you or a mate etc hold the spring down whilst you undo the nut, it it slips it might just give you a free face lift.

You don't need spring compressors if you buy new top mounts/washers!

(only costs 20 odd quid)

Saves time and the effort. That's what i did.... Simples ;)

cheers guys, if getting top mounts, do i also need to get the bearings or whatever?? :confused:

Yep both the bush and the bearings new are 20 odd quid.

When i did mine i popped in GSF got new bushes and bearings stuck them on top of the new struts made an easy job even easier :rolleyes:

(saves you the effort of taking old ones off)

And also you keep your old struts in-tacked if you ever need them again.

Don't forget to get your tracking and camber checked after. Mine was well out!

If you buy new bushes and bearings you need a new nut too, to hold them on the end of the strut.

You can unto the top plate and then the top mount whilst the weight of the car is still on the spring (before you jack it up). Then when you jack the car up the spring will be free, no spring compressor and no facelift :lol:

Put my coilovers back on yesterday with a mate. Took 5 hrs lol.

Garage that put my standard suspension back on while waiting new inserts had air gunned the top mount nut and had to drive to there garage to get them undone.

If the spring is seperate to the shock like on the GTi, then its a piece of piss doing the rears. (Undo bottom shock nut and the rear arm drops, letting you pull the spring out).

Camber on the front wheels is well out and luckily a friend of mine bought a camber gauge off ebay for £30. Could only get the wheels down to negative 2 degrees though :(

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this up again, but really grateful if someone can confirm the parts I need to buy when replacing the coilovers as per this diagram. Many thanks :)

strut.gif

Edited by DanGB

Sorry to bring this up again, but really grateful if someone can confirm the parts I need to buy when replacing the coilovers as per this diagram. Many thanks :)

strut.gif

You need '29' and a doughnut looking washer that goes under 29.

Unless you take them of your orignal struts.

A VW parts person (GSF) will know what you need ;)