Just bought GTI! Wooohhooo

Gazzard

Okay so i have just been accepted for finance on this lupo gti...

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/retailers/00233/used-cars (Then click on the lupo)

was just wondering what peoples thoughts were,

is it an okay "ish" price to get one on finance at 42k miles?

is it ok to get 5 speed or should i wait for a 6 speed to appear?

Basically is it worth getting or shall i hold out for a different one? don't want to enter a 7000 contract then wish i had waited for another, i dont have enough money to just buy one out right so finance is the only option for me

Any info apreciated, Cheers all :)

I recently bought a 2003 (53 plate) GTI from a VW main dealer.

It had 33.5k miles on the clock, and 1 owner from new. Optional extras were pretty limited; just CD player, side air bags and air-con.

It was up for £7290, but I had no trade in and was paying on a debit card so I screwed them down to £6.6k.

The one you are looking at is a year newer, but with ~10k miles more. So I'd say its probably a fair price, but definatley room to come down a little more, because reading the spec sheet there is no CD player and it doesn't list air-con either.

The main deal clincher is the VW 12 month warranty, which is extendible. :shades:

The main deal clincher is the VW 12 month warranty, which is extendible. :shades:

Whilst its a good thing to have, they are fundamentally very reliable cars, I wouldnt go out of my way to get a warrantied one

Whilst its a good thing to have, they are fundamentally very reliable cars, I wouldnt go out of my way to get a warrantied one

Completely agree, my 7 year old Lupo has no rattles whatsoever. In comparison my previous £33k, 2 year old, JCW MINI rattled like a bitch. It also needed a new turbo, new timing chain tensioner (twice!), new fuel pump and various other items.

What I will say however is that the piece of mind that a warranty gives is second to none IMO. I know that if it goes pete tong, then I have a back up with very little financial implication to myself! :shades:

Cheers all for the advice, not to bothered with the c.d player, will almost definately be fitting a new upgraded one anyway...

Ill double check about the 5/6 speed then, i did ask and he said 5 :/ ill ring them tomorrow to find out :)

If it is definately a 5 speed ill let you all know and you can scratch your heads some more lol

To be honest i was really surprised i got accepted for finance, 18 years old with no gaurentors needed and only £500 deposit... so its win win for me, have to pay £170 a month

Cheers all for the advice, not to bothered with the c.d player, will almost definately be fitting a new upgraded one anyway...

Ill double check about the 5/6 speed then, i did ask and he said 5 :/ ill ring them tomorrow to find out :)

If it is definately a 5 speed ill let you all know and you can scratch your heads some more lol

To be honest i was really surprised i got accepted for finance, 18 years old with no gaurentors needed and only £500 deposit... so its win win for me, have to pay £170 a month

bossjohn is right about the 5-speed error, what a disgrace, sign of the times though.

you are a mug if you accept. we ALL QUALIFY for finance! do some research boy. Car dealerships are banks in disguise since day one.

Good luck if you accept. Get maximum warranty if you can and write to head office if local dealer (really a franchise) doesn't want to honour a repair that qualifies under supposed warranty.

To be honest I'd wait or haggle a little more, I bought in Feb this year:

2005 '05' Silver Lupo GTi, 46k miles, excellent condition with air-con, 6-CD changer, side airbags, FVWSH, recent service with cambelt change, long tax and MOT and totally un-molested for £6750. (only thing missing really was the leather interior) Probably the best standard GTi on the market at the time and by no means the most expensive, was listed for £7000ish.

As a buyer you have the upper hand as you are the one with the money!

EDIT: mileage

Edited by LupoGTiNAB

bossjohn is right about the 5-speed error, what a disgrace, sign of the times though.

you are a mug if you accept. we ALL QUALIFY for finance! do some research boy. Car dealerships are banks in disguise since day one.

Good luck if you accept. Get maximum warranty if you can and write to head office if local dealer (really a franchise) doesn't want to honour a repair that qualifies under supposed warranty.

Yeah i will try and get him down or throw in some extras, and no not a lot of places will give me finance because of my age, therefore having no credit, or a lot of places need gaurantors which my mum wont do, pc world wont even let me have a laptop on finance lol

Cheers for all the advice tho, gonna ring today and find out some more info :)

So rang up today, turns out it is a 6 speed after all, full service history, going to see it wednesday and lay down the deposit if im happy...

Ive seen some people do HPI checks before at there work, is there anyone that can do one for me at all? :)

Cheeers