3D tv

Putney

I have been to see a couple of 3D movies at the cinema, Avatar and Alice in Wonderland... I enjoyed them and really liked the 3D.. Well today I got my first play with a 46 inch 3D TV.... and smoe glasses.... Gets the thumbs up from me...

I have TWO 1080P TV's and cant really justify laying out £1800 for a new 3D set... It got me thinking... why can't some wizz kid design a 3D converter for the current 2D Tv's? Plug and play....

whats the difference between the sets actually? i thought the 3d effect is just the way th epicture is displayed on the screen... like 2 overlaying images that the glasses do all the work

I thought it was just the way the picture was shown as well, but apparently not. Hence why 3D films can only be shown at certain cinemas on certain screens.

I've seen Avatar and Alice too, can't say I'm totally sold on 3D just yet...

Sounds like a good reason tbh Jamie...

There was summat on tele the other month where you put glasses on and some of the show was 3D...

Forgot the bloke, he's well famous...does shows on channel 4 all the time, reads minds and stuff.

FFS, whats his name?

This was Sky HD 3D i was watching.

Its going to be free I think to the HD subscribers. Could be wrong though.

I just want a little box that does the conversion to make my current TV's 3D ready.

I'd guess that 3D stuff on a non-3D telly wouldn't be as advanced as the 3D you can get on a 3D telly.

Is Avatar 3D on a DVD going to be exactly the same as it was at the cinema? They might have simplified it to be shown on normal tellies.

Not really sure how they'd do it but in theory, if it's just a case of displaying the image slightly overlayed then there wouldn't be much difference to the actual effect on a normal TV.

The main difference may be the clarity of the image though.

The only thing that's a shame is that these films are passive 3D so effectively don't jump out of the screen which is what I'd been expecting.

Did the Sky demo have glasses sync'd to the screen where the lenses turn on and off at speed or were they the crap polarised ones? The effect on the switching glasses is leaps and bounds beyond anything else I've experienced.

Here's some science

I guess it's going to be a battle of tech. The lenticular system should be the all out winner, purely because you don't need to wear glasses to get the effect.

I went to the bristol sound and vision show and tried both Polarised & powered glasses.

The Polarised ones were not bad but i just couldnt watch a movie like that, I have good eye sight i like to think and to me the picture was blury, Would much rather watch a 2D HD movie any day.

I only had a 2 miniute play with the powered glasses and that was awesome, Just like an HD 3D movie!

I think you will need a new screen for this version though because of the Hz, I think it needs to be something really high like 200Hz :lol:

Edited by M4T VW

The Polarised ones were not bad but i just couldnt watch a movie like that, I have good eye sight i like to think and to me the picture was blury, Would much rather watch a 2D HD movie any day.

Glad I'm not the only one. I got used to it after a while, but certain things were just really blurry. I had to keep taking my glasses off during Avatar to give my eyes a rest.

Glad I'm not the only one. I got used to it after a while, but certain things were just really blurry. I had to keep taking my glasses off during Avatar to give my eyes a rest.

Yeah, Its like when you go crosseyed. It must do some damage after a while :wacko:

Too many changes in too short a time, still not got live streaming on demand sorted out and most people don't have HD yet far less looking to upgrade to 3D. The ones that have upgraded to HD ready tvs probably don't have a HD signal so aren't going to think about upgrading again yet. Quite happy to sit back and wait till it all calms down into something I would actually use, don't watch that much TV but it would be nice to have it on demand for a flat rate, £20 for all the free view channel content when you want it would do for me.

1.4 Million SKY HD customers now.....

Was at Eurogamer expo last October and there was a 3D TV there must have been 46. And had Avatar the game in 3D. Looks pretty damn awesome.

Also played on an Nvidia 3D monitor with NFS:Shift which was also pretty awesome.

Batman Arkham is coming to 3D this month as a GOTY editon.

Futuroscope in France is an awesome place for 3D IMAX. The sheer size of the screens is incredible and the 'magic carpet' one where the floor is glass is freaky.

My box (Samsung) got updated today with new firmware, Some say its ready for 3D, Also channel 217 is the "Sky3D" channel but there is nothing on it at the moment. :confused:

thought with 3d it was the way it was filmed, not so much what it was shown on. From what i understand films like avatar and aiwl were filmed using two cameras next to each other, this is what i've been told anyhow.

Only seen avatar in 3d but was really really impressed with it, made the film much more enjoyable. Think its only worth seeing for certain films though.