How could this be done?

Tigz™

OK guys whats the crack with front indicators and the law?

Do they have to be at a certain height?

Do they have to be in lenses?

Could they be mounted in the bumper fog lamp style?

What do you think?

I really like it.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QAAAAD8T1nB...AAAAAA/loop.jpg

Edited by Tigz

i love the look, makes to much cleaner looking, im sure someone told me they mounted an indicator into a headlamp and it was fine, so it can be done, wot about GTi headlamps tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />, hey but thats the easy way out

Drill a hole into the back of your headlight dome, and affix an indicator bulb - the same way a sidelight bulb holder would normally twist in. Or, you could affix an indicator light behind the grill - smaller bike indicator, or even a side repeater. A N other indicator lights could be flushed into a lower spoiler, or into the bumper in a different place. All depends on the look your after.

As far as I can recall (I did this to my old mk2 8v), as long as you have an indicator light that's visible from the front of the car, you can put it anywhere you like. No fixed height, and no fixed side to side position.

The side repeater on the wing makes up for sight from the side, so it's all good. Unless you delete the side repeater too... like I did twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />

I hope you haven't cut any holes yet?

You will find that there are measurments that you have to adhere to in terms of where you site your indicators.... I did a quick google but came up blank, but, the quickest (and probably easiest) way to find out is to ring your local MOT Station and ask them...

I know I had a mini fail in the past as the indicators were too far inboard, but if your talking about mounting them in the fog lamp spaces, I wouldn't see a reason why not... again, a mini (the old style) has theirs mounted quite low down in comparason to the rest of the car...

Doesn't cost anything to check though :wink:

Some "interesting" links for you...

Vehicle lighting regs for northern ireland (couldn't find for England, but not likely to be that different)

More stuff about lights

Essentially, from this I gather that as long as your indicators are clearly visible from all angles, you should be fine. There are regulations about how far your indicators need to be from your side/headlamps.

I am slightly concerned that if you stick an indicator bulb in the main cluster that it won't be "clearly visible" with the lights on unless it's sectioned off though.

A Dutch Lupo in PVW last year had removed the indicators up front and put a pair of side repeaters just behind the slatted grill at either side.

You couldn't really see them when they weren't flashing, but when lined up correctly behind the grill when flashing they were fine.

Cleans up the front end nicely.

Thanks for all the info guys.

I think the side repeater lamp is probably gonna be the way to go.

Im gonna check on the issues of distance apart from each other though, as Im not sure either side of grill might be too close to each other.

Im pretty sure putting them in the bottom of the bumper as I think the car may be too low to make that possable.

Thanks John.

Ive also find out that the indicators need to be at least 40mm from the headlamps, and no more than 400mm from the side of the car.

Emma has the car today so I can measure the distance between the grill and side of car, but Im pretty sure it is further away than 400mm :cry:

I agree! Looks fantastic, do it!! 8)

Can you not put the indicators in the grill at the bottom? You could get side repeaters for a tenner or so. Maybe the dead thin ones off the E46 3 series would fit in the gap.

I was looking at the venom one in pvw last night and that has them in the headlights but couldn't see where.