Removing Bumpstrips

MrSupercrazy

I dont really like the bumpstrips on the car, so they will be coming off when i get a spare minute, does anyone have any tips for easier removal, as i took the badges off last week and there was loads of sticky stuff still left on the car and took me ages to get off - i used the hairdryer and dental floss method

Rather than posting just one facepalm ive decided to post the link from google images so people can pick one

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=facepalm&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Rather than posting just one facepalm ive decided to post the link from google images so people can pick one

http://images.google...F-8&sa=N&tab=wi

LOL!

Use the same method, clean the glue off with petrol, white spirit, aftershave etc etc, (some solvent)

Edit: Use the search next time (please)

Edited by 99hjhm

did this a couple weeks ago... my advice have a few days free not a few mins! getting all of the glue off took me forever! i found auto gym ultimate tar remover the best. ended up with blisters all over my fingers from rubbing away at it!

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=facepalm&oq=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

:lol:

There is a thing called a 'caramel wheel'...dont know much about it myself but apparently its a really easy way to get rid of the black stuff left. just put it on the end of a drill.

Yes you need a caramel wheel. There about 5 quid, stick it on a drill and it'll clean off all the glue from the paintwork without damaging the paint. Unless you **** it up of course, then you might damage the paint :lol:

you know where i can get one from?

Would you like us to buy it and remove the glue for you as well.

FFS i typed caramel wheel into google and loads of places sell it.

i used a caramel wheel it takes a bit a time aswel tho its far hander than using anything else took me about 8 hours in all to do the both sides..

To scrape the glue from under my bump strips, I used these:

HedgehogBNPS_450x300.jpg

Deal on at Halfords, "buy one hedgehog get one free".

Awww!

Can't recommend that Auto Glym stuff enough; use that and apply it with a blue/j/jay cloth, let it soak in a bit and keep applying it. Then use some sort of scraper whatever works best for you but be careful.

I wouldn't use a lot of petrol, I tried it and it did nothing special for me, actually stripped a very fine layer of lacquer/paint, even though I thought I washed it quick enough, now I'll have to T-Cut at some point.

Good luck.

Smye

I decided to not remove my bump strip because I know there will be a difference in colour beneath it because my car has been resprayed at some point.

Unless you are 100% sure that the car has never been resprayed you should always calculate with the risk that there might be a different colour underneath and a respray might be needed to fix it. (unless done by a good painter who took the strips off when he painted)