Mobile Phone contract free gifts

Sarah_Diamond

Hi guys, I'm on vodafone at the moment. I'm after either an N97mini or HTC Magic, not sure which but I've found what seems to be a good deal with T-mobile.

It's £35p/m 900 cross network mins, 500txts for 18mths with free GHD straighteners. and the phone costs £10.

If I stay with vodafone I'm likely to get the same deal but without the straighteners. Is it worth swapping?

Opinions and feedback welcome :)

I'm always wary of these sorts of things, probably cos I'm a cynic who believes that you don't get anything for nothing these days.

I think basically if you can get the same deal elsewhere, for cheaper per month, see if over 18 months it adds up to the cost of the straightners.

From what i gather, most of the contracts these days are for 18 months anyway, so it's not like you're going to be tied in any longer to that one than you are with any other.

In my opinion there is usually a catch, do you get the free item right away or do you have to wait til 6 month down the line? Like how the cashback with contracts usually work.

I have done this before with adverts from the Sun newspaper, etc.

I got a PSP, and a Wii on seperate deals, they turn up about 2 weeks after paying your first bill

I have never once had a problem

I bought my PS3 from someone whom I'm assuming got it from a "phone deal".

I got a deal on a brand new PS3 inc game and he got cash in his pocket for nothing apart from an advert, a label and a trip to the post office.

So it depends on what they are offering.

I just went for an upgrade in the end. I've got an N97mini coming tomorrow. Apparently Vodafone have stopped doing the HTC magic from their disconnections office but the shops still have them in stock.

Ended up getting 600mins, Unlimited txts, Unlimited internet and a free phone for £35 a month. Possibly not my best haggling but it'll do :-)

Ask for the value of the product off the bill, your purchasing a contract and the aim is to get that as low as possible not see how many freebies you can get that you probably would never have gone out and bought anyway.

My money is on them refusing , therefore there must be a catch.

Gift deals make me laugh. People genuinely believe they are getting a good deal out of it and dont think twice. Phone companies aren't your friend, they are a business and they have to make money first and foremost. Usually the way they give you gift deals is by 'giving' you factory seconds. Basically stuff thats to good to chuck out but not good enough to sell.

I got a free £700 laptop and only pay £30 a month for 600 min ul txts. I however didnt get a free phone but didnt care as I needed a latop

Ask for the value of the product off the bill, your purchasing a contract and the aim is to get that as low as possible not see how many freebies you can get that you probably would never have gone out and bought anyway.

My money is on them refusing , therefore there must be a catch.

They buy them in huge numbers and get them cheap thats the reason so a ps3 to them might only cost them £100