Fuel consumption Lupo 1.4 75bhp

MickB

Dear all

I have my Lupo now for a few months and... well I'm not sure if the MPG is OK on mine... I do short journeys (I know it affects MPG but this is small city car so should be ok with short distance rides) but still I think that the car is a little bit too thirsty.

The full tank lasts for 175 miles (on average). Does anybody else also have the same engine and use the car in the city for short rides and could tell me how much MPG the Lupo makes?

Also if I may ask... when you sit inside the car and switch the engine off, take the key out of the ignition... and press the brake pedal... can you see the stop lights still working????!!! I've just noticed this today... and I don't know if I'm loosing my mind or is it normal?

Thank you all for your patience! :-)

Dear all

I have my Lupo now for a few months and... well I'm not sure if the MPG is OK on mine... I do short journeys (I know it affects MPG but this is small city car so should be ok with short distance rides) but still I think that the car is a little bit too thirsty.

The full tank lasts for 175 miles (on average). Does anybody else also have the same engine and use the car in the city for short rides and could tell me how much MPG the Lupo makes?

Also if I may ask... when you sit inside the car and switch the engine off, take the key out of the ignition... and press the brake pedal... can you see the stop lights still working????!!! I've just noticed this today... and I don't know if I'm loosing my mind or is it normal?

Thank you all for your patience! :-)

If you turn the ignition off with your foot on the brake like me, the lights stay on untill you take your foot off.

Hi, my 1.4s does around 200 to a full tank mostly small jouneys. (with roof bars and box on top)

Hmmm...

Thanks for your reply. 1.4s is 100bhp... so this means that mine is VERY thirsty. I guess...

If you turn the ignition off with your foot on the brake like me, the lights stay on untill you take your foot off.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I thought that this is one of those funny electric problems... but it seems it's normal.

Cheers!

Hmmm...

Thanks for your reply. 1.4s is 100bhp... so this means that mine is VERY thirsty. I guess...

NO

The 1.4s is 75bhp. The 1.4 SPORT is 100bhp

on most VAG cars the brake lights work regardless of the ignition being on or off.

Id even go as far to say 95% of cars do

NO

The 1.4s is 75bhp. The 1.4 SPORT is 100bhp

Id even go as far to say 95% of cars do

OK so mine is the same engine, but still wants more petrol... NO GOOD!

And with this brake lights - honestly I've never noticed... and I had a few cars before Lupo hehehhe

The full tank lasts for 175 miles (on average)

You get 175 miles out of a full tank? I hope you are joking.

If I use a whole tank uneconomically I get around 250 miles to a tank. If I'm being good then I get about 280 out of my 1.4S 75BHP.

I would say that there is something wrong if you only get 175.

Edited by NOCK

If I use a whole tank uneconomically I get around 250 miles to a tank. If I'm being good then I get about 280 out of my 1.4S 75BHP.

Hi

well, I'm not joking. That's why I've asked the question cause for me it was hard to believe that the MPG for this car is so poor...

Thanks for your reply. I'll have to keep a good record of my fuel consumption and try to find out what the reason is... don't know where to start really...

Cheers... I'm very sad now ;-(

Edited by MickB

I think it was more "now if you did a search you would realise the first step would be to change your fuel temp sensor"

Am i right Al :lol:

And where exactly I should do this search? Isn't it called searching what I'm just doing? hehehehe ;-)

Was just a bit of banter :) , but if you look to the very top of the page there is a search function, always an idea to have a search threw old threads just to check the topic hasn`t been coverd before you get raped with sarcasm.

Yes i did learn the hard way :lol:.

I think it was more "now if you did a search you would realise the first step would be to change your fuel temp sensor"

Am i right Al :lol:

Nah, I don't think the Fuel Temp sensor is very well documented on here.

Nah, I don't think the Fuel Temp sensor is very well documented on here.

Hi in some other place you've said that you didn't really find a proper MPG info since 2004 or sth...

I found out that someone had a 100 miles per tank!! That's a drama!! Well maybe I should start with new spark plugs, or maybe it's the tires... I don't know,,.. it's just doesn't seem right for a small car my MPG...

Was just a bit of banter :) , but if you look to the very top of the page there is a search function, always an idea to have a search threw old threads just to check the topic hasn`t been coverd before you get raped with sarcasm.

Yes i did learn the hard way :lol:.

Hi :-)

Thanks for enlightenment ! hehehe

I did use the search function now but,... not very helpful tbh...

Cheers

:-)

I find it hard to believe you get well over 50mpg driving uneconomically and over 60 taking it easy. you sure its not a tdi? :o

Going by Lupos I've driven in the past, I don't think that 175 miles per tank is beyond the realms of possibility with short town trips. In fact I'd go as far as to say that's about right... the amount of fuel different people get in the tank in the first place does vary a little, how much are you putting in/using?

You can do other things to help... make sure your tyres are at the right pressure, learn to think ahead when driving, maybe take a route with less traffic etc.

I find it hard to believe you get well over 50mpg driving uneconomically and over 60 taking it easy. you sure its not a tdi? :o

How do you work that out!? I'm pretty sure yes as I don't think it would run very well on Sainsbury's Super Unleaded.

Take 250 miles to a tank for arguments sake.

250 miles out of 34 litres = 7.3529411764705882352941176470588 miles per litre.

There are 4.54609188 litres in one gallon (according to google).

7.3529411764705882352941176470588 * 4.54609188 = 33.4 MPG.

280 miles for 34 litres works out at: 37.4 MPG.

Those results sound about right as I know that I don't drive from full to empty (I don't use all of the 34 litres of fuel), I'm talking about a full tank to maybe just before the fuel light comes on. They reckon you can cover 50 miles with the fuel light on, so if I add that into the equation I get:

300 miles out of 34 litres=8.8235294117647058823529411764706 miles per litre

Which equals 40.066930588235294117647058823529 MPG.

I must drive more economically than I thought I do when driving 'uneconomically' :lol:

I could work out a more economical drive and I'd probably get about 44MPG but I really can't be bothered.

Actually, yes I can.

280 + 50 = 330

330 / 34 = 9.7058823529411764705882352941176

9.7058823529411764705882352941176 * 4.54609188 = 44.123832952941176470588235294118 MPG.

Not bad with my estimation eh? :lol:

I believe that 44 MPG is the book figure too so sounds about right.

:)

Edited by NOCK