Stu's Lupo Gti- ICE SQ install/Custom Dash

One life. Live it!

Wow this has to be my fav thread at the moment.

And i spotted the Hertz boxes :wub:

Looking forward to seeing and hearing how this comes out, keep up the mad work :shades:

Oh and thanks for the gti seats aswell, there amazing.

Hey Nick! I'm so glad your pleased with the GTI seats! As you could see they were well looked after! You did well to get them in so quick!

I'm glad your enjoying the thread- it's certainly gathering momentum now. Soundproofing well and truly there, wiring in ready for speakers front and back, power cables too. Dash starting to form. James actually had a dummy set of the front speakers to mould the correct shape, keeping the real ones for final fit. Just purchased a double din unit off eBay compliment the dash for gps and Bluetooth duties too.

I'm very excited about hearing it all together! :-)

Some transformation this is going to be, yeah im not gonna be the first to turn round and say its wasting a GTI because folk can do what they like with them.. but jesus this is gonna weigh a ton when finished :lol: You wont need coilovers lol

Im thinking your right there Matty - might need to get some work on the engine done to pick performance up again with it all in! :-)

B) COOL! Can't wait to see more of this!

Thanks Amber! ;-) obviously a bit 'messy' @ moment! Really looking forward to getting the nice stuff back in,so it resembles a real car again!

Just open the boot and the subs will give it some extra boost :)

What headunit did you get for it?

:-)

I got the head unit from a guy off the talk audio forum, the same chap who I bought the front stage speakers from. Even though I could use the double din unit for sound I am keeping that just for satnav and phone. The single din is going to be hidden within the dash and there will be something very 'trick' done to access it- gonna be awesome!

This is the unit..

f0aeb76b.jpg

and this is what it looks like in the flesh!

0739b598.jpg

although a little older now, this unit was/is very popular for competition sound offs, due to the very high quality internals. It has no internal amplification and has copper outer for less interference. It's main focus is high quality sound which is what I want.

Edited by One life. Live it!

To enter the EMMA (european mobile media association) soundoff competitions the Lupo has to have a full build photographic history available for the judges to see. This ensures that the build is above all safe and installed to pre determined guidelines.

The pictures should show that it has correct size fusing with correct distancing, appropriate diameter cabling, wherever it goes through a body panel it has been grommetted, the wiring is heatshrunk and protected, etc

It is not worth scrimping on cabling,as sound quality would be limited so a percentage of the budget has been spent on van damme and audison cables to minimise sound quality losses.

97184115.jpg

Got some pictures of the fibreglass boxes made up to fit within the rear 3/4 panels for the subs sent over from James.

You will have seen the initial stages in thread earlier.

3c461008.jpg

Then maxmatt added

5be3e6fb.jpg

3cc84c54.jpg

Then a front added with the mdf speaker ring made for sub and filled

44918deb.jpg

sprayed up and showing speaker wire with connectors.

im liking the headunit mate did you not get the processor to go with it? i nearly bought the odr version but went with the 88prs and put the money towards 2 new dls A3 ultimates instead as for the van damme cable good choice im using the higher end qed cables and couldnt fault them both are pretty similar. i just hope the cdt,s will provide enough weight for you i know the emma judges are mainly looking for staging and the depth of the music but its always good to have a good kick when the mood takes you, do you have any sq (flac) test discs yet for when its up and running?

im liking the headunit mate did you not get the processor to go with it? i nearly bought the odr version but went with the 88prs and put the money towards 2 new dls A3 ultimates instead as for the van damme cable good choice im using the higher end qed cables and couldnt fault them both are pretty similar. i just hope the cdt,s will provide enough weight for you i know the emma judges are mainly looking for staging and the depth of the music but its always good to have a good kick when the mood takes you, do you have any sq (flac) test discs yet for when its up and running?

Hey Dubsy, I did look at the matching processor but was recommended the audison bit 1 instead. Ultimates are really good - love how they sound.

Did cost up chord cabling against the van damme but had to balance overall cost with everything else.

I really hope the cdt's are man enough! It is a concern. I think it will be suitable in the overall sound in terms of judging but it's got to be right for me more!! I too like a bit of a kick with the bass. I do like to listen to electronic/dance aswell as downtempo stuff but as the boot install is gonna be full of amps is wasn't an option!

The subs will perform to thier absolute best capabilities with the boxes that James has made... time will tell.

The only test disc i have is one I got from kenwood with thier 25th anniversary unit that I got for my transporter. I would like to get the current EMMA disc just to test it out but I shall be collating a few cd's to test it! Got any recommendations?

Hey Dubsy, I did look at the matching processor but was recommended the audison bit 1 instead. Ultimates are really good - love how they sound.

Did cost up chord cabling against the van damme but had to balance overall cost with everything else.

I really hope the cdt's are man enough! It is a concern. I think it will be suitable in the overall sound in terms of judging but it's got to be right for me more!! I too like a bit of a kick with the bass. I do like to listen to electronic/dance aswell as downtempo stuff but as the boot install is gonna be full of amps is wasn't an option!

The subs will perform to thier absolute best capabilities with the boxes that James has made... time will tell.

The only test disc i have is one I got from kenwood with thier 25th anniversary unit that I got for my transporter. I would like to get the current EMMA disc just to test it out but I shall be collating a few cd's to test it! Got any recommendations?

you can buy the emma disc online i have one but there more samples, than full on tracks i have the focal test discs they are awesome, ive also got the mcintosh,jvc,alpine and chesky ones there are a few torrent sites that have the focal ones to download by far the best of the lot

Pioneer's are an absolute nightmare. I've gone through 3 so far, all ending up with interferance issues. Theres far too many features for them. I find Alpine far better for competition and general use. Only thing i prefer on the Pioneer is the option to switch to Ipod mode allowing you to scroll through on the ipod itself, rather than the HU.

I'm currently running a cheap and cheerful Alpine, and it does the job amazingly well compared to the Pioneer, which was jumpy.

Speaker pods look amazing though. Top work.

you can buy the emma disc online i have one but there more samples, than full on tracks i have the focal test discs they are awesome, ive also got the mcintosh,jvc,alpine and chesky ones there are a few torrent sites that have the focal ones to download by far the best of the lot

cheers dubsy- will have to check the focal ones out!

Pioneer's are an absolute nightmare. I've gone through 3 so far, all ending up with interferance issues. Theres far too many features for them. I find Alpine far better for competition and general use. Only thing i prefer on the Pioneer is the option to switch to Ipod mode allowing you to scroll through on the ipod itself, rather than the HU.

I'm currently running a cheap and cheerful Alpine, and it does the job amazingly well compared to the Pioneer, which was jumpy.

Speaker pods look amazing though. Top work.

I have had alpine before and they were excellent! Have had mechanical problems with pioneer but not interference. Let's hope this one is ok Ben!

How have i only just seen this!?

Awesome build, Look forward to seeing this when its complete.

Thanks little rich! Been trying to work out when we might have the project ready for a show. I think realistically it's probably going to be a couple months more. I would love it to be ready earlier but these things normally take a little longer! Its got to be done right first time, so it's worth taking the extra!

so how are the 3/4 boxes held inplace as the doorcard is usually held in with the little white plastic clips????

[/quote

The old doorcards will not be used so there will be no issue with plastic clips as different fixings will be used. There is going to be a mould taken of the old doorcard and one made in fibreglass.. These will look the same but will be much lighterweight. These will be secured with hidden fixings and strong magnetic strip. The enclosure can be secured independantly of the doorcards.

23987_401268993688_509088688_4935828_7369567_n.jpg

thought of your build when i saw this....reckon its gonna be awsome mate

Thanks for that hairbear- that looks awesome! Wish I had seen that in the flesh! Was this @ ultimate dubs?

If mine comes up looking that il be a very happy man!

no reason why not mate! Yeah found it someones UD album on facebook.

what finish you going for, you going to flock it, leather it, paint it? anything? lol

Well that would be telling now, wouldn't it!

I'd like to spill the beans but I would like to keep some of the build under wraps until it's first showing. but i can promise you something, it will be very special, that's for sure!

It's James who posted as direct current in previous post who is doing all the great work but he's sworn to secrecy too!!