Stu's Lupo Gti- ICE SQ install/Custom Dash

One life. Live it!

• 4 weeks later...

Quite a delay since last post, apologies! :-)

Since then the lupo has been well and truly sound deadened all over Inc roof! (maxmat)

cbeec804.jpg

The dash has started it's transformation- early days but it is being "redesigned" to accomodate both midrange and tweeter to improve the soundstage. There will be a woofer in doors soon too- can't wait.

61f7ee87.jpg

More details as and when work done!

Thanks for comments!

The clocks and the binnacle have been moved centrally. This allows two sets of speakers to be positioned to allow better balanced sound and lift the sound stage. I will be competing in sq soundoffs so this will score extra points. The woofers will be put sealed in doors and then sub bass added in rear quarter panels.

Can't wait for it all to be put together!

Sounds impressive!

How much MaxMat did you use! I thought 43sqrd ft was enough, and thats without doing the floor!

The loop is still at the installers he did the work ben. I know he said the courier complained at the weight of the boxes!!

He played me a video clip of banging the roof - sounded like concrete! Thought of what you said about yours having improved sound after.Be interested to hear what it's like actually on the road. How you getting on with your new components?

Still not arrived yet. Shall keep you updated though as apparently they could be the next big thing.

I had a set of focal Utopias and was very impressed with the sound- especially the tweeters - the best of any set of components that I have owned , so I think you'll be pleased. It will help cut into all that bass of yours!!

Edited by One life. Live it!

Well... Had some pics sent over from the workshop... It shows some of the work that's gone into fabricating the new and improved dash!

1f984921.jpg

1eedb98f.jpg

This shows some of the fiberglass work, and the brackets made up to support new dash.

I must admit I prefer the new position of the instrument binnacle- personally I think it's an improvement but I would be interested in peoples feedback?

df0287c5.jpg

Obviously there's still a load to do but I'm really pleased with how it's shaping up!

At the back of the dash on both sides ( in fibreglass) is where the midrange and tweeter speakers are going to go.

Bring it on!

Must admit can't wait for the work to be complete and the final article is done. Aesthetically I prefer it but I think it will take a bit of getting used to regarding positioning. One thing without doubt though Is it will sound a-w-e-s-o-m-e! Not stupidly loud but clear and precise!

Thanks for comments. I realise that it might be a marmite dash,and I don't think it's been done before but the finish will be top notch when it's done. The speakers that are going in are true high end stuff that Ive previously seen in an oettinger conversion. Without letting out too much information they will be integrated with Vw and Audi TT components that I feel will give it a high end finish. I guess oem+ will mean different things to different people. :-)

As I've said before I've managed to buy a lot of the car audio stuff second hand on talk audio forum. The idea was to supposedly save a load of dosh but the truth of it is I've just gone up a level on my initial plans. There is no way I would have bought this stuff brand new so the bonus is I get top quality stuff for a lot less.

Obviously it can be a gamble buying second hand but the people on there are true enthusiasts and seem trustworthy enough!

The picture you see below is for all the sound quality (sq) people. For me its a dream front end install.I've been into car audio for many years and these are my ultimate. I've used genesis amps in my transporter install and there stuff Is awesome however have never used their speakers.The pic shows the 3 way speakers,the smaller if the pairs - tweeters and midrange will go in where I've highlighted before with dash pics. The woofers will go into the doors within a sealed compartment to give them the beef! You'll notice also that there are what appears to be mini amps in the box too but believe it or not they are crossovers to set frequencies for each speaker.

The crossovers will not be used though as we are using a sound processor to accurately set it all up and use time alignement.

dc136266.jpg

65a859d4.jpg

2.3 genesis absolutes.

These speakers were actually used by a magazine to test and review them - I think it might have been "car stereo and security" - now no longer. They were then checked over and sold to the chap I bought them off. He never used them and kept them under his bed for 4 years!

Rest of install as it's done!

In a Pete Tong voice... We continue!

Shaping up now with speaker placement in the dash, doors and rear quarters.

0c159336.jpg

Tweeters and midrange in position in dash. The midrange will be sealed within the fibreglass section.

680ba910.jpg

f0b7f788.jpg

The mdf rings help to set the speaker within the door so it's fixing is solid. This will help give the woofer more punch and depth. The way I was explained was using the analogy of firing a cannon from a canoe! You would have limited force behind it because the canoe or in this case door would vibrate and move limiting the force or what I want -bass!

173e1ebe.jpg

ce94073e.jpg

The initial plan was to try and fit a subspeaker up front hidden in dash but there wasn't enough room. The next best thing was fitting two smaller ones in the rear quarter panels. Sound might have been better up front but as sub bass is less directional it should still "fill in" nicely.

looking good fella would be nice to see how the genesis sound im using rainbow platingum,s but only 2 way are you going to be running active or passive, which subs are you using for the rear quaters? my only worry would be they would have to be heavily deadened with their position being so close to a pretty flexible part of the car i had issues with resonance from that area during my build

looking good fella would be nice to see how the genesis sound im using rainbow platingum,s but only 2 way are you going to be running active or passive, which subs are you using for the rear quaters? my only worry would be they would have to be heavily deadened with their position being so close to a pretty flexible part of the car i had issues with resonance from that area during my build

hey dubsy! I've seen your install on the site and it's awesome!

The 3 ways are going to be running active through a audison bit1.

The subs are ones I havnt tried but been recommended on talk audio- cdt 6.8's.

One will be ported in box and one sealed - the strengthening has begun! Yes would be interested to hear your system. U going to UD? ;-)

This is starting to come along, be different to see it finished! :)

thanks emz! Getting there gradually! I can't wait till it's done but there is still lot of work to be done. Was initially aiming for UD but now gti spring festival. Any of club lupo going?