lupo gti search

Giles B

hey all i'm looking for a cheap gti that i can give a good home and some tlc, i have found a number of 01 lupos that have some damage history in my price range could anyone help me with some info on them hopefully you might know the owners or have looked at them yourselves, i have phoned the sellers and got all the info i can you just cant be too cautious.

first up is a 01 gti in black with the reg y981 gaf.

It was a cat d and he said that its all sorted and clean. i know the pics are not of the actual car but he did explain why.

My link

Next up is another autotrader gti its a 01 on the reg Y901 GTC it was a cat c but has been repaired, moted but not vic (yet) its got 23k, air con and sunroof other probs he mentioned id the air bag light is still on and the remote needs re-programing,

My link

There are others that i have seen but they are HPI clear hope you can help me, PEACE AND LOVE :)

I dont fancy either of those tbh, and would be wary of the second one having a haircut.

fair enough, im pretty well mechanically minded, so i dont mind a punt at the right price, the first sounded quite good over the phone, but living in north devon everything is a hell of a trek there are no lupo gtis for sale around here, :(

I dont fancy either of those tbh, and would be wary of the second one having a haircut.

I'd stay well clear of the second one. If you look at that car you can build up a picture of how bad the accident was . . . its an older GTI with low miles thus probably hasn't been touched because the damage was expensive/ severe. I think that car was going to be stripped for parts as the wheels, mats and other interior components look aftermarket.

I don't think theres anything wrong buying a CAT C/D car, just make sure its repaired with original parts. Take a magnet with you as the panels on the GTI are aluminium and thus cheap repairs with filler will show up.

Edited by sam bignell

hey all i'm looking for a cheap gti that i can give a good home and some tlc, i have found a number of 01 lupos that have some damage history in my price range could anyone help me with some info on them hopefully you might know the owners or have looked at them yourselves, i have phoned the sellers and got all the info i can you just cant be too cautious.

first up is a 01 gti in black with the reg y981 gaf.

It was a cat d and he said that its all sorted and clean. i know the pics are not of the actual car but he did explain why.

My link

BTW, Lupo GTI's don't come with fog lights (as mentioned in the advert)

BTW, Lupo GTI's don't come with fog lights (as mentioned in the advert)

cheers mate thanks for the info, love this forum all of you guys make it such a good place to be :)

I'd stay well clear of the second one. If you look at that car you can build up a picture of how bad the accident was . . . its an older GTI with low miles thus probably hasn't been touched because the damage was expensive/ severe. I think that car was going to be stripped for parts as the wheels, mats and other interior components look aftermarket.

I don't think theres anything wrong buying a CAT C/D car, just make sure its repaired with original parts. Take a magnet with you as the panels on the GTI are aluminium and thus cheap repairs with filler will show up.

Sam... aluminium isnt magnetic

Sam... aluminium isnt magnetic

I know, thats why you take a magnet for the roof and boot which are magnetic (I think?)

On the body parts which are aluminium, you need to tap . . . you should hear a change in sound when the density changes eg filler

Sorry, should of read my previous post

• 1 year later...

My Lupo GTI is for sale in your price range and it is a CAT D. When i bought it i went round it with a magnet and all the parts are aluminium, I drove the car and it drove straight and true. Im not plugging my cars as its for sale but what i am saying is dont be put off by a Cat D just make sure you check it over properly. I also spoke to the two previous owners to get an idea of its history.

Link to mine: http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2456724.htm

I am open to offers obviously.

Cheers Josh

Edited by joshpmc

I cant see the links for some reason, so i'm not sure what your budget is.

However, i paid £3500 for my 2001 GTI with full dealer history and 74k miles.

It was on BBS splits and AP coilovers too with heated leather and a sat nav! :)

That was from a dealer.

I'm pretty sure that wings, bonnet, and doors are aluminium but the boot is steel. It is aluminium on 3L models, but I think it stayed as steel on the GTI to help with weight distribution.